SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Veterans Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veterans Day Login/Join 
posted
The annual event, where they honor us by closing the banks and post offices, so we can't use them on a Monday. Thanks.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
my pet peeve is when companies start advertising more than a week prior to veterans day about their sales event "VETERANS DAY SALE"...same goes for "MEMORIAL DAY SALE"... why cant people honor the 'REAL REASON FOR THE SEASON' that we honor those and other days.....VETERANS DAY should be every day .................................. as for the free meals my wife(veteran) and myself (veteran) did a texas roadhouse free meal... asked a single diner to join us... yes it was BUSY... but to see all of the hand shaking and verbal greetings very heart warming.. seeing old friends and making new ones........drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this would be about all the "free shit" lists you see passed around everywhere for Veterans day.

I'm embarrassed for the "veterans" that I saw lined up around Applebees yesterday to get their free appetizer or whatever the F it was.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I thought this would be about all the "free shit" lists you see passed around everywhere for Veterans day.

I'm embarrassed for the "veterans" that I saw lined up around Applebees yesterday to get their free appetizer or whatever the F it was.

I don't see anything wrong with junior enlisted personnel taking advantage of the opportunity for a free meal. You or I might not be willing to go get in line for the food but that doesn't mean that anyone who does go for it should be embarrassed. Any veteran or person currently serving deserves thanks and a free meal once a year.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

A few years ago my wife and I went to the free dinner at Golden Corral. Super crowded, of course. We shared a table with two or three other couples whom we did not know. The food was OK, but the conversation was great.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Did that last night.

I was invited (and reluctant) to go with a couple that I served with back in the 80s, (They married several years later).

But I went, and we were seated with a guy who was retired Army, sitting by himself. We had good conversation, and then he left after about half hour, and a couple was seated at our table with a three year old boy and more good conversation.

It changed my view on the whole "free meal" thing. It was actually nice to see so many folks, and knowing everyone had "the t-shirt", and lots of eye contact, smiles and head nods.

I will go again. After 27 years of passing, I am glad I went.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas Road House is only open for lunch Fri-Sun, except on Veteran’s Day when all locations are open 11-4 for Veterans.

I separated from the Army over 26 years ago, and proud to be a veteran, but never participated in any of the veterans restaurant deals, until yesterday.

Free breakfast at IHOP in John’s Creek and then lunch at Texas Road House in Cumming Georgia.

Texas Road house was packed with long waits. I sat with 3 other Army Veterans and had a great time. One was a Vietnam veteran, another was an O5 at the Pentagon on 911, and the other was a former O3.

Salad, 6 oz sirloin, and steamed veggies. There were several menu selections.

Was I embarrassed? Absolutely not. I had a great time, good conversation, and appreciate IHOP and Texas Road House saying thank you for your service.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about the free food. My service was nothing in comparison to others who served in wartime. So, I dont participate.
I sometimes think that in order to get free food, you should have to display the CIB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I have mixed feelings about the free food. My service was nothing in comparison to others who served in wartime. So, I dont participate.
I sometimes think that in order to get free food, you should have to display the CIB.
As a few of us have posted above, it's not so much about the free food. The food is OK, fair-to-good but not great. It is more about sitting down with some who have served, whom you have not met before, and talking about your experiences, both common and diverse.

I was a Navy missile geek, my tools were voltmeters and oscilloscopes. I had great conversations with jarheads whose tools were things like rifles and grenade launchers.

Whether we served in conflict or in non-combat roles, we served. We each contributed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings. I generally don't go, as I'm not a social person and don't eat out much at all. But I have gone in the past. The restaurants only comp an entree - beverages, appetizers, desserts, all extra, plus spouses, kids, etc. So the times I've gone, I picked out a table with some junior enlisted and picked up the tab for the balance of their stuff. Always costs me a fair amount more than if I paid for my full meal, but I'm in a good place now and can pay it forward.

ETA - good tip for the waitstaff too, as I know it's hectic on them.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Never participated in the freebies. Too anti-crowd. Plus, I got a lot of free meals while I served Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just wish a Veterans Day or Memorial Day would pass without the gatekeepers bitching about how others spend their day. You don’t want a free meal? Don’t get one. But feeling embarrassed for people who accept the offer is absurd. Worry about yourself. The country would be a lot better if everyone just did that.

FWIW I’ve never once gone to get a free meal on an holiday. But I see nothing wrong with those who do. I personally feel embarrassed mentioning my service in that manner but that’s my own issue and I’ll not project it upon anyone else. Veterans should be free to be proud of their service without other veterans shitting on them for it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Well said, Pale Horse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I don't go out often on Veteran's Day but we were out doing some errands and actually did go to Applebees. (Yes, it was busy).

Met some really interesting folks including a Gator Navy Veteran who had worked with Admiral Rickover and a C-135 Air Force pilot who served 35 years. My wife, youngest son and I had a great meal. The manager made a point of coming around to each table and speaking. People in the queue were polite.

Afterwards I sent a thank you email to Applebees corporate and received this nice reply.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I just wish a Veterans Day or Memorial Day would pass without the gatekeepers bitching about how others spend their day. You don’t want a free meal? Don’t get one. But feeling embarrassed for people who accept the offer is absurd. Worry about yourself. The country would be a lot better if everyone just did that.

FWIW I’ve never once gone to get a free meal on an holiday. But I see nothing wrong with those who do. I personally feel embarrassed mentioning my service in that manner but that’s my own issue and I’ll not project it upon anyone else. Veterans should be free to be proud of their service without other veterans shitting on them for it.

No one is worrying about anyone else. It's a simple observation. Trust me, I don't give two fucks what these freeloading veterans do with their time. I pass Applebees driving to my gym and I see them every Veterans day lined up around the building.

You can 100% be proud of your service without taking advantage of every free appetizer offer on 11/11. Especially when you are just being used a pawn by some company to show people how much they appreciate veterans.

If these companies want to show their appreciation for veterans they should take their money and give it to one of the many legitimate non-profits that actually help veterans who truly need it, 365 days a year. This free appetizer and milkshake bullshit is a silly promo, nothing more. If you want to talk and network with other veterans, go to your local American Legion which is what I do.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did this thread get to be about food ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good question, but as for the original bitch, I am curious whether you complain about all the other holidays that close things up. I personally believe there are two holidays a year that should be observed: Memorial Day and Independence Day. I suspect that by leaving off all the rest, though, I would get a lot of disagreement, so who decides?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Good question, but as for the original bitch, I am curious whether you complain about all the other holidays that close things up.

The other holidays do not purport to be "honoring" me.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
quote:

I don't see anything wrong with junior enlisted personnel taking advantage of the opportunity for a free meal. You or I might not be willing to go get in line for the food but that doesn't mean that anyone who does go for it should be embarrassed. Any veteran or person currently serving deserves thanks and a free meal once a year.

I agree. Why the hell should I feel embarrassed about businesses offering me freebies for my military service? Sure beats being spat on and called baby killers as Vietnam vets were.

What I am embarrassed about are Vets who could obviously afford to tip but don’t. I’m extra generous on Veterans Day because I am getting free meals.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post