SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DO NOT Go Grocery Shopping at Walmart on the First Saturday of the Month!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DO NOT Go Grocery Shopping at Walmart on the First Saturday of the Month! Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
If I have to go on any Saturday, I try to strike early. No later than 8am - anything earlier and the better it gets...less people, less stress, and the chore is complete.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Better yet, do not go shopping at Wal-Mart.

Yep. I go maybe once a year, and I will only go in the middle of the night (less mouth breathers) and heavily armed. Place is a POS.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
What are you, new? Wink
Nope. Old. And forgetful. I never seem to remember that it's the first Saturday of the month, until I get there.
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I get all my ammo online by the case delivered by UPS. It works well for me, and is cost effective.
Just wanted to stop in and pick up a box of .357 magnum for comparison. I have a bunch of .38 SPL that I usually use at the range, but wanted to feel the difference. Yes, there definitely is a difference!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go three or four times a year. Between Amazon, Natchez, TGS, and Midway, I about have it covered. I almost went in last Saturday for my special brand of soap, but as I approached the door there was a young man with dreads, a wife beater, jogging pants and a Glock sort of secure on his waistband. He assisted in securing it by gripping it. I turned and walked quickly away, and bought a couple dozen bars off Amazon. Years ago I went in after a midnight shift in uniform. The clerk began chatting, and told me her son was up for parole. She asked me what I thought is chances were. I asked what he had been convicted of, and she said, "They say he done two murders."

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:I get all my ammo online by the case delivered by UPS. It works well for me, and is cost effective.

Those of us who are less well off buy ammo a little at a time. $18.97/100 for Federal brass 9mm FMJ right now. Shipping charges for less than a case eat up any savings per box.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the commissary on base, you don't go within a day prior to pay day.

For me, I usually do my grocery shopping at the Walmart Neighborhood Market around 8am. Almost no lines, traffic is good and the clearance meats are still available.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Wal-Mart and other discount grocers are where people on public assistance should be buying groceries, are they not?

Appears to be from all the lobster-tail, prime rib, processed food (think Stouffers Lasagna) and 2-l bottles of soda in the carts...............

No staples to be found in those carts.................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
That's probably a pretty good idea, but where do you go for one-stop shopping when you need to pick up a box of ammunition and a loaf of bread? Especially when the Walmart is on my direct route from work to home.

That loaf of bread, by the way, is a buck less at Walmart than it is at the "nice" supermarket, and the "nice" one is not on my way home, requires a detour, and does not carry ammunition.

It's not so much stay away from Walmart, it's more like don't go on the first Saturday of the month. I could have done without bread until Monday; there are a couple of bagels in the refrigerator.

1) I buy all my ammo online. It's cheaper and always instock. I only go to Wal-Mart if I am camping and need ammo/supplies that I misjudged the quantity to bring with me.

2) Luckily, well not in any way affluent, I earn enough of a living that I can pay the extra buck to avoid going to Wal-Mart. If for some reason money is tight that week. I rather eat store brand bread than go to Wal-Mart.

3) My sanity is way higher value to me than saving 2% on groceries. I hate crowds, I hate smelly people, I hate illegals, and I hate waiting in line. All of those things are in great abundance at my local Wal-Mart.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Around these parts they don't care what day it is. As soon as those EBT benefits refresh, they'll drag their kids crying and screaming (literally) to the 24 hour Walmart at 11 or 12 o'clock at night.

I made the mistake of going there to buy a few things and with only 2 checkout lanes open (they shut down the self checkout after 10pm) I got stuck behind 3-4 families with two carts apiece. Do you think for the 30 minutes we stood in line the family in front of me would see that I was holding three items and let me go ahead of them? Nope, they just dumped their shit on the counter and 10 minutes later paid for half of it with their EBT and then pulled out a roll of cash to pay for the rest (including booze and cigarettes).

I've always said that if EBT/WIC was eliminated tomorrow, 50 million people wouldn't starve to death. The ones who would feel the pain would be Apple, Comcast, Katy Perry and all the other big business that shove non-necessities down our throats.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
It's not just Walmart. Don't go shopping "anywhere" on the first Saturday of the month.

This. I will purposely put off grocery shopping until I know the WIC/Direction card shopping is pretty much done.
Most of the time I do it towards the end of the month and I'm fine.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
For once, thank God this thread does NOT have pictures.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
26 minutes to check out yesterday at Walmart. I was behind ONE family. At payment time, they had to try 16 different EBT cards. Then they had to remove half the items. Purchase this. Purchase that. Oh, and here is a few gift cards. Please put $10 on this gift card, I need to buy gas. Oh, and can you run over and get me a carton of cigarettes? Fucking hate scum bag trash.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the Yooper Wal-Mart, not only can you buy ammo, goldfish and beer, you can carry it out to your camper in the lot and become a permanent resident. I wonder if you can pick up your mail at the Service Desk?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Yep. I go maybe once a year, and I will only go in the middle of the night (less mouth breathers) and heavily armed. Place is a POS.

I hear you. I used to go middle of night only. Although less trash, still they're trash. Even the employees. Roll Eyes
Told my wife, never ever again will I set foot in there.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
I hear you. I used to go middle of night only. Although less trash, still they're trash. Even the employees. Roll Eyes Told my wife, never ever again will I set foot in there.
Middle of the night, that works. A few weeks ago I woke up at 3:00 am and sort of urgently needed some OTC meds, so I threw on some clothes and went to the nearby Walmart. The night shift employees and a small handful of customers in the near-deserted store were quietly taking care of their business, the store looked neat and organized; I wasn't even sure that it was a Walmart.

As for 12131's "never set foot in there again," I agree in theory, but I sort of need the place. They carry things that would take me a lot of running around to find. I would have to stop at maybe a half-dozen places to complete a shopping list that I can do with one stop at Walmart. Yeah, checkout is slow and the place is a zoo, but the alternative is driving around to a bunch of other stores, play parking lot bumper cars multiple times instead of just once, stand on line to check out multiple times, pay much more if I want to pick up a box of ammunition that I don't normally stock... I really wish there was a better alternative, but there isn't, in the area where I live. I'm to old to move. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
This is back-to-school-tax-free-weekend in Texas. About ten years ago I went Wal-mart (Squallor-mart) on this weekend. Squallor-mart looked like it had been hit by an indoor tornado. I was wondering if I was in Mexico City. Sheeyit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Wednesdays when the Social Security checks come out. Nasty little old ladies and grumpy old men.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Don't go on the second Saturday, either!!

Had to go to town and do some shopping. Wally world was wall to wall with Hispanics, parking lot was "wait for an opening". Inside the store, they were standing around in groups up to 8-9, in the aisle intersections. And were "reluctant" to move.

Had to meet the wife at Costco. Same story there as at Wally World. Don't know where they are getting all the money, but they are driving new cars, and very expensive pick ups.

One I saw the other day, the top of the hood was above my head, I am 6'1" tall, with all the bells and whistles. Damn thing must have cost at least 80-90K.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If I have to go to wallymart I go in through gardening or automotive and checkout the same. I will NOT use a front register.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Don't forget Wednesdays when the Social Security checks come out. Nasty little old ladies and grumpy old men.

Maybe THAT explains why I got whacked in the back of the head with a rolled up "newspaper" on a Wednesday a little while back at Publix Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post