SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why am i getting unwanted Washington post news updates on my desktop?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why am i getting unwanted Washington post news updates on my desktop? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I've looked and cannot find any WP downloads, links, open pages, etc. to explain where this is coming from?

A little tile slides out from the lower right of the screen with news flashes.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know the answer to that one, but it would annoy the hell out of me.

Some sort of malware perhaps. I would check to see if popups are blocked in your browser.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Found WaPo listed as a trusted site in ghostery... Deleted that & hope that will resolve it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Do you use Chrome? You might have unknowingly accepted notifications from the Post.

If so, go here to see the steps to turn off / disable the notifications.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
Do you use Chrome? You might have unknowingly accepted notifications from the Post.

If so, go here to see the steps to turn off / disable the notifications.

You, sir, are a genius!

Man, was that buried deeply... That was like having to go down to the cellar to find the instructions, with the lights burned out, using a flashlight to find the instructions in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You, sir, are a genius!

Man, was that buried deeply... That was like having to go down to the cellar to find the instructions, with the lights burned out, using a flashlight to find the instructions in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'.

I appreciated the tip as well. Thanks

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I'm not a genius (maybe in my own mind), just have experience with the notifications.

quote:
That was like having to go down to the cellar to find the instructions, with the lights burned out, using a flashlight to find the instructions in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'.

As long as you take a towel with you, you should be okay.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘Beware of the Leopard'

What? You're opposed to the bypass? You've had notice.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
‘Beware of the Leopard'

I don't get by the planning office often.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
‘Beware of the Leopard'

I don't get by the planning office often.

But do you own a digital watch?

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
^ I own TWO! Razz