SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Brass punch and cheap tools
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass punch and cheap tools Login/Join 
posted
I'm in need of a brass punch so what do I do?...I go to the store to get one.

Home Depot - not there
Pepboys - not there
Lowes - not there
Dynamite tool - not there
True Value hardware - not there

Now, it's one thing to not carry an item that really isn't rare. I'm sure many others are in need of a brass punch but, as I'm looking through these stores, it really occurred to me. Most of the stuff they sell is just plain shit. Nothing but a bunch of cheaply made shit that people are buying plenty of.
I had to go in my garage and look inside my Snap On tool box for a bit in order to bring myself back down to earth. I'm not going to settle buying the shit these stores are selling.

Rant over

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent rant. I have resigned myself to Brownells or Midway if I need anything to work on my artillery. Costs more and shipping increases the cost.
If you have a flea market or swap meet locally, check if there is a tool vendor. I often got a lot of small tools and brushes at the flea market.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I went through the same thing, visited all the big box stores looking for a set of brass punches. Finally found a POS one at Northern Tools to get me past the immediate need on a project. Here is the next set I plan on getting:
Grace USA - Gun Care Brass Pin Punch Set

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got my punches online also. I generally don't even bother with the brick and mortar stuff anymore unless I either don't give a shit about the quality (one-time use tool) or it's an absolute emergency.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 words - Amazon Prime.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Quote "2 words Amazon Prime"
That's the ticket. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have brass punches. Still cheap shit but will get you by. I admit I buy some consumables at HF.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Just remembered. Check out the replaceable tip punches at Brownells. I have both types and they have served me well. The one style has brass, aluminum and nylon tips, very handy.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
We have a privately owned hardware, not a franchise or branch store, in the small city east of where we live. They actually have high quality tools, parts and fellows that know where things are and what "specifications" means. Costs a few dollars more but I enjoy just being in the store.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:
We have a privately owned hardware, not a franchise or branch store, in the small city east of where we live. They actually have high quality tools, parts and fellows that know where things are and what "specifications" means. Costs a few dollars more but I enjoy just being in the store.

There were old hardware stores like that still in Winchester VA and Frederick MD, and for a while an out of the way one in Rockville MD, back in the 1980's. I used to frequent them regularly. Wood floors, everything under the sun, all high quality, and personnel who could find anything you wanted in a few seconds. I miss them. I would gladly pay a bit more for their selection and expertise.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now a days?...made in fu**ing China !

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've been buying tools from Zoro Tools for a while. Great quality and quick shipping and their CS is top notch. Check them out.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
McMaster Carr is one of your best sources for quality tools and materials nowadays. True, they do no not give you shipping prices up front, but that have always proved to be fair. The one issue I have with them is they do not tell you the brand or country of origin on the shopping site. Every time, though, their's is the top quality stuff, no matter the maker. It may not be the brand you want, but it is top rate.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
Quote "2 words Amazon Prime"
That's the ticket. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have brass punches. Still cheap shit but will get you by. I admit I buy some consumables at HF.

This. We have a HF that's about 3 miles from the front drive. Cheap made? Yep. Usually sufficient? Virtually always.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post