SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting.....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting..... Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a common rule, and as V-tail says, it is a rule designed to prevent unskilled and careless shooters from hurting someone.

We all know we are careful and highly skilled and don't need such a rule. But the range doesn't know you from some knucklehead.

Don't go shoot there. It is annoying, and I can understand the desire to vent.

OP, your double taps should be controlled and accurate, same as multiple rapid shots. At five feet my double taps can be quicker and still remain accurate. At 50 feet, my double taps will need to be a bit slower, but they are all still controlled.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
When I read "double taps" I think of firing two quick, but controlled, shots in succession, taking a sight picture for each shot before pulling the trigger. Is there something else?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
When I read "double taps" I think of firing two quick, but controlled, shots in succession, taking a sight picture for each shot before pulling the trigger. Is there something else?

The original Cooper definition of the Double Tap was: One sight picture, Two presses of the trigger

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lead poisoning and indoor ranges are two faces of the same coin. Find an outdoor range.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My outdoor range eliminated steel plates after an "incident". I switched to shooting water-filled plastic milk jugs placed on the berm about 100 ft from the shooting line. Always collected and trashed the jugs after shooting. Now we're told only paper targets will be allowed. Still trying to figure out how milk jugs are unsafe.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
The outdoor range that I'm a member of was the best place to shoot for years. There were some rules more common sense with some safety. Just about all the members grew up with firearms and knew what they could do. Then for "Safety" (this range never had a problem in 40 years) all sorts of rules were set. Now it's no fun if an RSO is around. You can't do that or you can't this. Your target is too low or too high. Not you can't draw from the holster if someone else is on the range. Stand behind the yellow line during cease fire, don't go near the benches and on and on. I find myself shooting more in my front yard these days. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
My outdoor range eliminated steel plates after an "incident". I switched to shooting water-filled plastic milk jugs placed on the berm about 100 ft from the shooting line. Always collected and trashed the jugs after shooting. Now we're told only paper targets will be allowed. Still trying to figure out how milk jugs are unsafe.
You are a responsible person. You cleaned up the debris from the milk jugs. How about other people? Do they clean up after their session, or do they leave their garbage behind?

If I were responsible for maintaining a range, l might want to see certain things banned if they turned out to be a pain in the ass.

It's all about being responsible and using common sense. The more people who exhibit those traits, the fewer reasons there will be for restrictive rules.

I see the inconsiderate side of human nature in my business. I run a small equipment rental business. 98% of the customers are great. There is a tiny, but very visible, percentage of customers who clearly don't give a shit about rental equipment and abuse it, usually carelessly, but sometimes (rarely) deliberately. This small group are the reason that I have had to make some harsh rules, that wind up affecting everybody.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local range has similar rules but you can take a certification session that once passed allows you to shoot as many and as fast as you want as well as use holster and etc.
When you take into consideration what kind of shooters come there sometimes I think rules like this save lives.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by danSIG:
My local range has similar rules but you can take a certification session that once passed allows you to shoot as many and as fast as you want as well as use holster and etc.
When you take into consideration what kind of shooters come there sometimes I think rules like this save lives.

I spoke with another one of the managers and he apologized for what happened and said that they would review some of the rules for possible changes. He commented that some of the newer RO's were a little too black and white.

I think that a certification process that allows at least for rapid fire would be an excellent idea. One of the other range officers I often talk to was upset and said that they knew me and that I was a safe shooter and also also apologized. I'd be more than willing to demonstrate a level of skill to get a card that at least will give me a non-hassle for more rapid fire. For this indoor range drawing from holsters probably won't happen.

I think it's important to realize that people aren't all the same and you can't please everyone all the time. Do they want to cater to the average shooter that shoots once or twice a year or allow avid shooters that shoot multiple times per week and tend to buy a lot more guns than the average Joe........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if common sense might prevail. Good for you, for speaking with the powers that be.

Great idea to have some sort of ID that verifies that a customer has exhibited appropriate skill and safe gun-handling. Maybe hang it "backwards" so that it's on the shooter's back and RO can see it from the rear, while the shooter is facing the target(s).

One thing that I really like about our club setup is that we can use multiple targets, rapid fire, draw from the holster, etc. Essentially, we can make a mini IDPA stage if we want, in our shooting area, and the ROs are just fine with that, until or unless they observe action that is actually not safe, at which point they draw the line. I have never had an unreasonable interaction with our ROs, and they do come around in the golf cart and sit and observe. Sometimes, stop and chat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because the few spoil it for the many , thats why

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Great idea to have some sort of ID that verifies that a customer has exhibited appropriate skill and safe gun-handling. Maybe hang it "backwards" so that it's on the shooter's back and RO can see it from the rear, while the shooter is facing the target(s).

Scottsdale Gun Club does something like this. Once certified by a staff member as being "holster qualified," you can draw and shoot from the holster, and you're given an extra tag stating this along with your regular lane tag. (I was a member there while I was in Arizona, but didn't avail myself of it.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have one rule at my range.
Don't punch a hole in my steel targets.
Well two.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
It's Frisco Gun Club in Frisco Texas. It's open to the public but I'm a so called "Platinum" member.

I pay hundreds of dollars a year to get lectured about stupid rules.

Ah yes, the posh Frisco Gun Club.
A rule that was likely implemented shortly after they opened when one of their range officers shot himself clearing a customer's pistol.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
An imbecile move from our club: We have always had membership cards. Now, they want everyone to have a card re-issued with photo on it.

No, the combination of a non-photo card with a government issued photo ID such as passport, carry permit, driver license, etc., is not acceptable, even though they both have your name.

No, sending in a digital photo via email is not acceptable.

No, nothing will do except the member must appear during very limited "photo" hours. No, health, travel, work, and other issues that might restrict a member's ability to appear for this capricious requirement is not to be taken into consideration.

No, a full-time, paid, RO can not take a photo; it must be a "very special" person who is there during very limited hours.

Friggin' idiots.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm not renewing at one of the gun clubs at which I'm a member because of dumb ass new rules including no open carry of loaded holstered handguns(concealed ones are fine) and that all new members must pass a "proficiency" test.

Screw Em.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I'm not renewing at one of the gun clubs at which I'm a member because of dumb ass new rules including no open carry of loaded holstered handguns(concealed ones are fine) and that all new members must pass a "proficiency" test.

Screw Em.
Our club is sort of similar.

New members get a safety orientation from one of the ROs.

Concealed carry used to be prohibited: No loaded firearms except at the firing line. They changed that rule, now concealed carry is "not recommended." I imagine that the lawyers tried to do a CYA thing.

Open carry is allowed only at the firing areas.

Compared to the alternatives that are available in the area, mostly indoor ranges that are open to the public and very restrictive, these rules at our club seem pretty reasonable for the most part.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have one rule at my range.
Don't punch a hole in my steel targets.
Well two.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
It's my foot. Why can't I shoot it if I want to? There's always a Range Nazi to take the fun out of things. Mad

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Thought about that second post for a while, didja? Razz

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I understand why milk jugs, old fruit, dented food cans, etc. have been proscribed at our club too.

But where's the fun in shooting .17WSM at paper bullseye targets? Frown

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post