SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting.....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting..... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have one rule at my range.
Don't punch a hole in my steel targets.
Well two.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

An old one, but still damn funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point? Guess the rifle range doesn't want any pistol patrons.

My kids don’t like to shoot closer than 15 yards on our little range with a pistol, but that’s cause we mostly shoot steel and they are afraid of being fragged ever since my son got a chunk of lead in his arm at a local IDPA match.

Where it gets fun is shooting a Texas star at 25 yards. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I went to a public range a few years ago and were shooting his M1 Garand. Rules only allow for 3 rounds in a rifle and 6 in a pistol.

We all know Garands were made for high capacity rapid fire shootingRoll Eyes Since the Garand has a clip it makes it impossible to only hold 3 rounds. My buddy is shooting and fires a shot, aims fires a shot, aims and shoots this third shot and puts the gun down. We wait a minute and repeats the 3 shots. Range office comes over and lectures us on the 3 round rule.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
We all know Garands were made for high capacity rapid fire shootingRoll Eyes Since the Garand has a clip it makes it impossible to only hold 3 rounds.

Yeah, that RSO was dumb. You were following the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.

But loading a Garand with less than a full 8 round enbloc clip is not impossible.

It's possible to insert a standard Garand clip with less than 8 rounds, though it's kind of a pain in the ass. (And potentially thumb.)

They also make custom lower capacity clips that only hold 1/2/5 rounds.

Or you could install a Holbrook device, and hand-load 1-8 rounds one at a time into a clip that's retained in the rifle.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Range office comes over and lectures us on the 3 round rule.
What I would do, since I have just a touch of smart-assery in my DNA: Unload the rifle, hand it to him, and ask him to demonstrate how to load it with three rounds.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I, like many here have been witness to some real knuckleheads at every range I've ever visited or been a member of. That being said, I think I would definitely find somewhere else to shoot. I still belong to one club that has not become too restrictive, yet.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point? Guess the rifle range doesn't want any pistol patrons.

It's Markham Park in Fort Lauderdale, FLorida. Many years ago an old Family donated a very large piece of property to the country, with the provision the rifle/pistol range and trap/skeet shooting range had to remain open. The county does their best to make the rifle/pistol range a nightmare of rules. The trap/skeet range is just fine. Unfortunately it's the only outdoor range left in the entire county. I can't find the rule where they won't let you shoot closer than 15 yards.

8. Pistols may NOT be worn holstered on the firing line. Drawing a firearm from a holster is NOT permitted. Shotguns and rifles must have full-length stocks.

11. Spectators are NOT permitted on the firing line.

15. Rapid fire is NOT permitted. No more than one (1) shot every five (5) seconds.

16. Only paper targets are permitted. Targets depicting human or animal forms are NOT permitted. Three-dimensional targets are NOT permitted.

www.broward.org/Parks/MarkhamP...argetRangeRules.aspx

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
A range with rules is needed. A range with rules about safety is required. A range with rules saying you wait 2 seconds between shots supports Liberals.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point?

Are they shooting at steel targets?

15 yards is the commonly recommended minimum safe distance when shooting steel.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point?

Are they shooting at steel targets?

15 yards is the commonly recommended minimum safe distance when shooting steel.

No steel at all.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have one rule at my range.
Don't punch a hole in my steel targets.
Well two.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
It's my foot. Why can't I shoot it if I want to? There's always a Range Nazi to take the fun out of things. Mad

But you blood will make the weeds grow!!!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Frisco is a nice range.....one of the reasons they are nazi's is they have had injuries. One night I was there when Mr. Smart forgot....or more probably never learned the 4 rules and put a hole in his hand.

I was double muffed and did not hear the screaming...he was 5 lanes from me.

Still frisco is not great and their selection of guns suck....well unless you can afford english doubles.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post