SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting.....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting..... Login/Join 
posted
Forgive my rant here but I'm pissed off. I was shooting at my local indoor range sighted in a new pistol with a red dot sight and shot a magazine full in a controlled steady fire group. I had every shot in the 10 ring save 1 "9" 1/2 an inch out of the center group.

A range officer came by and told me I could double tap but I couldn't rapid fire! Meanwhile rapid fire double taps are flying all over the place from the other shooters on the range. I asked the guy if he was kidding, at first I literally thought he was joking. I mentioned that they allow FULL AUTO's on this same range (if of course you pay a lot of money to rent them there). He told me no you can double tap but otherwise you have to take 2 seconds between shots, which of course not ONE person on the range was actually doing.

I tried double taps but with this gun being new I prefer more controlled accurate fire. I tried another pistol in a slower shot after shot controlled fire and ANOTHER range officer came and got after me. I didn't have one shot not safely centered in the target, not one scored less than a 9. I had the most controlled accurate groups on the range and they told me if I didn't want to follow their rules I could find somewhere else to shoot.

Don't get me wrong I am 100% totally for safety at the range. I try and follow every safety rule but they are enforcing a very stupid rule. Controlled accurate fire is SAFER than the wild double taps they allow! Controlled rapid fire is FAR SAFER than the full auto FAL they'll rent you.

It's just extremely frustrating to try and be the safest most accurate shooter on the range and get kicked off of the range because I didn't count off 2 seconds between shots. If I'm the least bit unsafe I'll instantly correct what I'm doing and thank you for mentioning it but Jeez don't take all the fun out of shooting!!

I'm also pissed because this gun club is 2 blocks from where I live and should be a great place to shoot. But Range Nazi's ruin everything.

Now to find a new Gun Club :-(

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Where is this?

Is this a club (members only), or an open-to-the-public facility?

If a members only club, there's probably a board of directors. Bring it up to them.

I belong to a members-only club. No specific rule agains rapid fire, but the RO will observe to see if it is being done safely. If safely, no problem. He'll just wave at you, as in "hi," and he'll go observe somebody else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Frisco Gun Club in Frisco Texas. It's open to the public but I'm a so called "Platinum" member.

I pay hundreds of dollars a year to get lectured about stupid rules.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Look at the bright side - he was saving you ammo. Eek

My range doesn't allow full auto or multiple shots other than double taps.

But your rule seems inconsistent and I guess not enforced - so why are you refraining?

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If it's open to the public, I can certainly understand the reason for rule enforcement. If an RO were to tell an unsafe shooter that s/he needs to slow down, that shooter could point to you if you were shooting faster, and raise hell about "selective enforcement" of rules.

Yeah, I understand, you might very well be the safest person using the range, but you really have to look at both sides of the coin.

Is there any way to separate membership shooters from walk-in, pay as you go, shooters? Either by having special times, or by physical separation of shooting areas?

How about maybe a demonstration of safe fast shooting, to get distinctive tag or badge to be worn?

There are a number of ways to solve the problem, but discussing it with the RO probably is not one of them. It needs to be discussed with management.

If it were I, and I really wanted to be able to shoot faster than one round per two seconds, I would sit down and put a pencil to paper. Make a list of various reasonable ways to solve the problem, while dealing with the question of apparent different rules for different folks, and when you have that white paper sufficiently refined, try to discuss it with management.

The local indoor open-to-the-public ranges, have a one-second rule. Even that is fairly slow, as a reasonably competent shooter in amateur competition can shoot splits in the .20 neighborhood. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like our own Jerry Jones, Bruce Gray, etc., can get into the mid teens consistently.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well...you could shoot in 3/4 time... = 60. A bang-two-three, a bang-two-three, a bang-two three. Take a metronome with you and REALLY piss off the RO. It's all about passive aggressive and being recalcitrant...and a bit of a smart-ass. Big Grin

The range rules at my shooting club (mostly geared toward Cowboy Shooting):
1. Assume all firearms are loaded
2. Keep firearms pointed down range at all times
3. Don't be an idiot.
4. Don't be an idiot.
5. Don't be an idiot.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The range rules should be in writing. Is this actually included, or something the RO's are making up?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If I had to wait 2 seconds between shots I would literally fall asleep at the range. I can go through 300 rounds of pistol ammo in 15-20 min. I say cancel your membership and tell them it’s because of their dumbfuck rules that you are doing so.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Precisely why I don't shoot at a range, and would never join one.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
It's Frisco Gun Club in Frisco Texas. It's open to the public but I'm a so called "Platinum" member.

I pay hundreds of dollars a year to get lectured about stupid rules.

That place sucks, the only indoor range I've found in north DFW thats decent is Eagle in Lewisville.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
The range rules should be in writing. Is this actually included, or something the RO's are making up?

They have the range rules posted on the wall. A full page of fine print. Both of them pointed to the particular passage about the two seconds between shots.

I understand their comment about the rules needing to be the same for everyone, my point is that it is a stupid rule. I could have emptied my mag even FASTER using Double Taps and would supposedly been just fine within the rules. I was firing slower and more controlled and that supposedly violates the rules? Safer and more controlled not being allowed on a range is a stupid rule.......

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
My range doesn't allow full auto or multiple shots other than double taps.

Sounds like ASC.

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that pisses me off. And it is why I don't go to the local indoor range. They throw in "no drawing from the holster" as well citing liability. I want to tell them it has nothing to do with liability and everything to do with you letting idiots on the range. I am perfectly capable of shooting a sub two second bill drill clean, but they want lowest common denominator customers more.

To each their own, their rules, but I won't darken their door because they don't allow the stuff I want to do when I want to go to the range and TRAIN.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
lowest common denominator customers.
It is aggravating. ¡Si! But if it's an open-to-the-general-public facility, they really don't have a reasonable choice other than to make rules for the lowest common denominator. It's very understandable.

That's why I joined a members-only club with a really nice outdoor facility. Five separate pistol areas (plus two shotgun and three rifle ranges). Two hundred bucks a year, open every day except Christmas, shoot as much as you want, spouse and in-household dependents up to 18 years old get free membership, and you're just about guaranteed to have a pistol area for your own group. Or yourself, if you're there alone. Our range rules? Pretty much the same rules that I would tell you if I were your aviation instructor: 1) don't hurt anybody, and 2) don't break anything. Our RO's circulate around the area on a golf cart. They observe. If you're not doing anything unsafe you'll get a friendly wave and maybe they'll stop to chat a bit.

If you're ever in the Orlando area with some time to kill, contact me through the email address in my profile and I'll be glad to host you there, at a really nice facility.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ass wipes who NEVER had a bit of power or authority in their lives. NOW they DO and they want everyone to know it. Doubt there isn't a Club without them.

I am SO HAPPY I do not have to use an indoor Range.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that pisses me off. And it is why I don't go to the local indoor range. They throw in "no drawing from the holster" as well citing liability. I want to tell them it has nothing to do with liability and everything to do with you letting idiots on the range. I am perfectly capable of shooting a sub two second bill drill clean, but they want lowest common denominator customers more.

To each their own, their rules, but I won't darken their door because they don't allow the stuff I want to do when I want to go to the range and TRAIN.

This all the way. As a civilian there are extremely limited places to go shoot, and move, or draw, etc. There are none around me. I don't have the luxury of land to use, I'm in a subdivision. I cant even use my AR, since the local range banned outside ammo and their ammo is expensive.

At least my range doesn't care about rapid fire, but I have been in many that do. One even had a ban on "any human shape" targets, so no silhouettes.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Jeez, you guys have all kinds of restrictions.

If you want to work from the holster, shoot while moving, shoot at multiple targets, double tap, rapid fire, whatever, get in touch with me if you're ever in the Orlando area.

The club I belong to charges five bucks per day for us to host guests. They say that it's for insurance.

They don't sell ammunition, so you don't have to use theirs. No objection to your own loads. They don't sell targets, so bring your own. Human shape? Well, they do host IDPA once a month.

The only restrictions are things that would really expose safety concerns.

No full auto, no binary triggers, but you can shoot normal semi-auto as fast as you can do it safely.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify- I have access to two outdoor ranges. One is open to the public and what you do is left up to your imagination. So much so, I try to find a bay with no one on it when I go because there is in fact some scary shit that goes on. The other is a private range that I go to if the other range doesn't have any availability, or if I want to set up elaborate training stages.

I get that indoor ranges are in the business of making money, and like I said dems is the rules. They just don't get any of my money. I can do as much in my kitchen in dry fire as I can on their range as being productive in training goes.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly! All it would take is allow more advanced shooters a little leeway. At this range they already allow full auto's and differing membership levels and privileges.......

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
My LGS allows me, and other pretty good shooters, to shoot from the draw. It's simple: if they see that you are capable, they will let you draw from your holster. If a novice, not very good, shooter draws from a holster, they will just tell him/her that their skill level is not high enough to do that safely, and they cannot draw.

It seems to work fine. I have only seen them tell one shooter that he could not continue to draw from his holster because his skill level was not quite there, and it was a safety issue. He shrugged and stopped drawing from his holster.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post