SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting.....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Range rules. Range Nazi's take the fun out of shooting..... Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
My range doesn't allow full auto or multiple shots other than double taps.

Sounds like ASC.

yup

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
It's Frisco Gun Club in Frisco Texas. It's open to the public but I'm a so called "Platinum" member.

I pay hundreds of dollars a year to get lectured about stupid rules.

Funny, I used to take my SBR there and shoot "briskly" never had an issue....since watching some dude blow a hole in his hand I have not been back.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
#1 thing I always check before shooting somewhere. "No Rapid Fire" means I'm not gonna patronize your range. "No uncontrolled rapid fire" is fine.

But yeah, I can't stand the silly, selective "enforcers" on a range.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my bushmaster and showed up with two full mags. Spent some time with my teen (at the time) daughter familiarizing her with the system, then slow fire sighting in. Range officer announced over the PA system, only 6 rounds in a mag at a time. WTF? Is that related to safety in any way? Would my 1911 have to be downloaded too? This was at an outdoor range with concrete benches and yellow stripes and chains to control access to the targets. I didn't blow a gasket over it, just explained to my daughter how sometimes you have rules for safety and sometimes for safety theater.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Range officer announced over the PA system, only 6 rounds in a mag at a time.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
They would never get a dime from me.

The indoor range I use doesn't have any 'speed limits' but you can't draw from a holster.
After seeing a lot of shooters having trouble just punching holes in the right paper, I'm OK with that.
The outdoor range (Ben Avery) doesn't have a problem with proper holster draws.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
#1 thing I always check before shooting somewhere. "No Rapid Fire" means I'm not gonna patronize your range. "No uncontrolled rapid fire" is fine.

But yeah, I can't stand the silly, selective "enforcers" on a range.

I'm glad to not be the only one that feels this way, helps to hear from other shooters here.

I honestly try to be the safest shooter possible but I guess I'm just old enough and grumpy enough to get pissed off when people jump on me when I'm not doing anything wrong.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be a member of the Bluegrass Sportsman's Club in Wilmore, KY. One day they imposed new rules. You had to pass a "safety test" and demonstrate proficiency with the types of firearms you wished to shoot, in my case, handguns and rifles. Until testing was available, you had to aim through 30 inch tubes, like sewer pipes. After six weeks I was able to qualify to actually shoot a handgun without a tube. Then came more stupid rules. All pistols on the range had to be be put on a pegboard with a chamber flag when not being fired. I told them I was not hanging a several thousand dollar pistol on a pegboard over a cement pad. I was told to do so or leave. I haven't been back. I'm all for safety. Idiocy pisses me off.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Ahh, stupid range rules. I was shooting at Scottsdale Gun Club, where I've been a member for over seven years, during the summer months when it is around 110+ degrees during the day. So I have my carry gun in its holster inside my waistband. Here in Arizona, we have Constitutional Carry, and I have a permit to boot, so I don't worry if I print or even if my shirt pulls up enough to see it. SGC only requires the loaded gun stay in a range bag or in a holster. I'm minding my own business, shooting another gun, when the RO comes over and asks if I'm going to draw from the holster. No, because that's not why I went that particular day, why? "It's making some of the other shooters nervous." Really?? At a gun range in a state that allows you to carry ANY gun you want in ANY manner?!? I put I in my range bag, but I had words with the management.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Worst place I’ve ever been was the public range outside Albuquerque NM. The range officers would pace up and down the line actively searching for something to light people up on. Things like yelling at people for not crossing the line fast enough when you’ve changed targets and others are still downrage. Not that you were handling weapons or doing anything even remotely unsafe, you just didn’t leap past the line with sufficient haste. One time one of them came out of the shack after I set up and actually stood behind me waiting for me to make some perceived infraction.

Only went there a handful of times - screw that.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
A couple months ago, one of my local ranges sent out an email:

They got flamed HARD by pretty much everyone who received it - so they recanted on the whole "no conceal carry" portion.
They still do not allow open carry (legal here in NC).

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ONLY rifle range in my entire county only allows you to shoot 1 round every 5 seconds. Yes 5 seconds. Cannot put targets closer than 15 yards even if shooting a pistol there. Range is hot for 10 minutes, cold for 10 minutes.....let's just say I don't ever shoot there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point? Guess the rifle range doesn't want any pistol patrons.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Such rules have all but ruined a great many ranges. Depriving folks from adequate training opportunities, and draining the places of many sources of fun. I rarely go anymore and find it irritating each time I do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I shot at Ben Avery, a large state-run outdoor range north of Phoenix, AZ, maybe twice. Too many RO's running up and down the line blaring through bullhorns at everybody for everything. Now, I admit, I wasn't in their shoes, and there could have been good reasons, but it was still off-putting. As well, you could only shoot about 15 minutes at a time, with equally long cease-fires, during which you couldn't even go near your table, even if you weren't actually handling your guns.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I completely agree with the OP. I'm so damn sick of range rules that serve no safety purpose.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a range around here that has an online section posting 132 rules for range use. No thanks.

The rule writers are quick to spout off with the "one accident will shut us down" argument. On the other hand, so will a lack of interest in your facility or a lack of support when the county wants to rezone the area for housing. There are a lot of shooters who have been turned off by stupid range rules that will simply say "good riddance".

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I WAS on the board of my local range. Am qualified as a NRA Range Officer. We have the basic rules, but are strict on them.

Just today I had someone give me grief when I told him that he needed to put his target out at least 50 yards on the rifle range. He started running his mouth at "All these Goddamned rules" and I just pointed to the 7 signs that stated the 50 yard rule. Then I explained that at less than 50 yards the rounds most likely will impact the bottom of the range in front of the berm, and can 'skip' over the berm. This can get us shut down.

He didn't care.

He started mouthing off about being a member for over 17 years. I said "Wow, 17 years? Thank you for your membership. We'd love to see you at the meeting we have every month... you don't have to make them all, but to come by and voice you opinions there would be great!"

I think he flipped me off as he got into his car and left.

I then went back to fail-testing a new sight by rapid firing 1,000 rounds through a Vltor AR15 in 30 round mag dumps at about 20 to 25 seconds per mag.

Rapid fire, when fully controlled, isn't a problem for us Cool

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
15 YARDS for pistol??? What's the friggin' point? Guess the rifle range doesn't want any pistol patrons.

Ohhhh and the best one that I forgot is you cannot shoot silhouettes of either humans OR animals!!!!!

http://www.broward.org/Parks/M...argetRangeRules.aspx

15. Rapid fire is NOT permitted. No more than one (1) shot every five (5) seconds.

16. Only paper targets are permitted. Targets depicting human or animal forms are NOT permitted. Three-dimensional targets are NOT permitted.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I went to the range today and shot some standards through three pistols to gather some data. I set a A/B sized piece of steel out at the 25 yard line. I started out with each pistol doing one shot draws at the seven. After a quick warm up with each, I shot a course of fire that included draws, emergency reloads, rhythm drills, and pivots. Then I shot bill drills. Then I shot a challenging 18 round drill at the 10. And finished up each gun with 25 yard draws for time.

I had goals set for the training day. And I could not have completed it on a range that caters to the lowest common denominator.

Two guys showed up on the range I was using and I put up my piece of steel and left it to them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The ONLY rifle range in my entire county only allows you to shoot 1 round every 5 seconds. Yes 5 seconds. Cannot put targets closer than 15 yards even if shooting a pistol there. Range is hot for 10 minutes, cold for 10 minutes.....let's just say I don't ever shoot there.

Markam Park? They didn't used to be that stupid...

ETA: Just saw your later post. Apparently they are that stupid.

They have had the no silhouette / animal target rule for a long time, and given the stupidity of some of the gun community, I kind of get it.

We had Trayvon Martin targets available at the gun shows here in Central Florida. That's not something that belongs at a public range, and it absolutely would happen here.

I also get the no non-paper or 3D targets thing. They don't want to clean up the mess. We had to ban pie plates, milk bottles, spray paint, etc. at my local members only range because of the mess some members left behind. At least we can shoot steel, however.

The one shot every 5 seconds thing is absolutely stupid. They used to have a "no rapid fire" rule, but they didn't care about one shot per second or some double taps so as long as you kept them on paper.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post