SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Luminox—the most over-hyped watch ever?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luminox—the most over-hyped watch ever? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What model did you have?

The SNE537P1.

I’m surprised that it wasn’t satisfactory. Looks like a nice watch.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
If you want a stupid tough military watch, consider a Marathon GSAR.

https://www.marathonwatch.com/collections/watch

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I see an ad for a Luminox, I have wondered, "Why is it so damned expensive? It looks like a $25 Casio from Walmart. " After reading these comments, I am glad I never bought one.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
2nd on the Marathon brand. I have had one for a few years and it has been a great watch. It has the tritium illumination that Marathon says will last up to 25 years.

Plus they have them on sale now

https://www.marathonwatch.com/...ariant=7514788200490

Posts: 538 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted Hide Post
Second on Reactor watches. They are solid watches from a great company !

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought one marked down two years ago. Upon receiving and reading reviews I sent it back for a refund.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I posted this pix here in April 2015. I have been wearing this one daily since I got it. I battery change. No fogging, gains 2-3 seconds per month. Lum is still bright. I purchased it directly from Luminox using their military discount. I guess I got lucky.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine fogged right away. It was repaired under warranty. I suspect the broken lug has compromised the seal. The band didn’t last a year. Replaced with a cheap Walmart rubber band that has lasted years.

Tritium isn’t overrated in the slightest imo. The lume that has to be charged sucks. Middle of night it is gone. Tritium is the same until it’s done. Which is a long time.

Luminox is a nice watch. If you get one without issue. Odds are better if you buy a different brand.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Japanese watches only for me, they've got the entire price gamut covered, and they just don't fail. my next watch will be a spring drive grand seiko.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm, is the fogging you’re referring to when you make a transition from one temperature extreme to another? (As in, from cold AC to summer heat or vice versa?)

If so, condensation can happen with any watch. There’s air inside the case and a little moisture with that air.

If it’s fogging from submersion or wet environments, or just daily activities, yes, it could be a bad seal. Worth checking on either way, but thought I’d throw that out. Sorry about your watch frustrations!

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Agree to disagree. I bought my first one in Bahrain in 2002. It went through 2 deployments, one trip to the repairman and been’s worn daily and abused by a multitude of miscreants.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have owned quite a number of watches over the 60+ years since the first, including three Rolexes, and the Luminox is the only—the only—one in which condensation has ever formed on the inside of the crystal. And those watches were worn daily in diverse environments from the heat and humidity of Vietnam and Washington, DC, in Arizona for years, to –50° temperatures in northern Alaska. I have also been a photographer for nearly as long and used my cameras for decades in the same environments. Any fogging in those lenses? No.

The first time I noticed it with the brand new Luminox was after putting it on in my house and spending about 15 minutes driving to the range. When I got there I could hardly read the dial. And to reiterate, the company itself admits that such fogging is “normal” and not a warranty issue. My most recent watch purchase is a Seiko that I have worn many times under the same environmental conditions as caused the problem with the Luminox, and any fogging? Nope: None, nothing, nada, zip.

At one time when people were first using them to hunt dinosaurs, rifle scopesights were subject to fogging because of humid air being inside. In time, however, manufacturers eliminated that problem by filling the sights with dry nitrogen or other gases. There is no reason watch manufacturers cannot do the same, and probably do.

Suggesting that all watches are the same indicates that someone has been incredibly unlucky, or unwise, in his choices.

The fact that many, and perhaps most people have never had a problem with a product doesn’t change the fact that it can still have an unacceptable percentage of defects. If an expensive item failed for some reason for every buyer, it wouldn’t be on the market for long, and would probably never make it there in the first place. For those who have Luminox watches and are happy with them, I congratulate you on your good fortune, but not everyone is.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never owned one, but not optimistic after continuing to hear such things. I’m not a huge fan of batteries, anyway. If the watch isn’t powered by the sun, the force, my chakras, etc., I’m less interested.

I picked up a GShock from Truong and am very happy so far. I like my Citizen, too, but should have gotten one with sapphire crystal.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your watch fogs up by going from a hot room to cold or vice versa then your watch sucks. It’s normal for shitty watches. Besides which once they replaced the seal it hasn’t happened since.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For those who have Luminox watches and are happy with them, I congratulate you on your good fortune ...

Thank you very much! Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Here's a current review article on tritium watches:

https://nanadc.com/best-tritium-watches/

Lots of choices if you don't want Luminox.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've had a few Luminox's over the last 10+ years (currently have two). No problems with them.

My wife's had two, again no problems.

Doesn't mean that someone can't get a bad one though. I will say, I don't think they are as "tough" or "durable" as my G Shocks... but they are O.K. for the price point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I lucked out on mine - battery lasted 5-6 years - no other problems.

Now, the straps, on the other hand, suck. And I do mean SUCK.

After two broke from just average wear, I put a NATO strap on it and called it good.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from David Truong many years ago, its been great.

The initial one did have a problem after 5 months. The watch stopped and the second hand bounced back and forth between two dial marks. It was immediately replaced and if I recall Luminox said they'd never seen that before.

The original battery lasted about 4 1/2 years. I learned that you'll see a second hand lag which indicates the battery is going bad. Its a good thing I got it in quick as the battery was leaking. Fortunately no damage done. I don't recommend doing it yourself as it is a dive watch and should be pressure tested once resealed. The local watch guy specializes in this and did it pretty cheap and in about 15 min which included a full cleaning.

His opinion was that a GENUINE Luminox was a great watch and other than leaky dead batteries he has never seen a major issue. Amazon and others sell something else, knock offs, or low quality and they have all sorts of issues.

I've never had a fogging issue and I've gone from hot tub to pool at hotels. I've also done some snorkeling with it with no issues. It's my daily wear and rarely comes off. I've also gone from being outside in -10F to inside at 72F with no fogging issues.

I will concede that the original straps only last about a year. I replaced it with a cheap sport watch one from Target years ago and its perfectly fine.

I'd say if your watch is fogging up you have some serious issues and hopefully would be covered under warranty.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
2nd on the Marathon brand. I have had one for a few years and it has been a great watch. It has the tritium illumination that Marathon says will last up to 25 years.

Plus they have them on sale now

https://www.marathonwatch.com/...ariant=7514788200490

Hey gee, thanks! You just cost me $822.00+ after ordering a new medium dive watch! LOL...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post