SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Luminox—the most over-hyped watch ever?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luminox—the most over-hyped watch ever? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A somewhat impulse purchase at the Navy exchange in Bethesda three years ago for an 8800 series. Probably not a counterfeit and approved by the SEALs: how could I go wrong?

The first thing I discovered is that the watch is subject to fogging between the face and crystal. “Perfectly normal” according to the fine print in the warranty description if exposed to changing temperatures, something I’m sure has never happened to a SEAL getting in and out of water. Roll Eyes

I almost sent it back then, but rationalized that it was going to be primarily a night wear item and therefore not exposed to very drastic temperature changes.

A couple of days ago it stopped, evidently due to a dead battery. That struck me as a little odd because other electric watches I’ve owned over the years had longer battery lives. But no biggie; YouTube came through with instructions on how the change the battery easily enough.

When removing the back of the case, though, one corner was found to be all but broken completely off. The watch had never been exposed to significant stress, so I’m pretty sure it happened at the factory when someone was a little heavy with the screwdriver, assuming of course that it wasn’t just a design flaw. Interestingly, the video demo watch also had a broken case back at one corner.

All right, the video said a new back could be ordered. Call the US distributor and … “Luminox won’t sell parts. You’d have to send the entire watch in for [expensive] servicing, and they might just replace the entire case [double expensive].”

I’ll try to repair the broken back and—yes, I know—do my research and don’t fall for advertising next time. I cannot help but wonder, however, how much the SEALs as an organization or some individual got paid for their endorsement. And, oh, I was back at the same exchange a couple of months ago and they no longer carry Luminox.

But any recommendations for a decent watch with tritium markers?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Tritium is overrated.

Get a Seiko - their regular lume is awesome. It will never wear out.

Or, if lume isn't enough, get a G-shock. Most or all of them have lights and many have lights that light up if you tilt your wrist. The auto illuminate can be disabled if you fear detection by other dangerous operators. They are as close to indestructible as a watch can get.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Have I told the story about how I went to change the time on my first (and last) Luminox watch when I pulled gently on the crown and the entire stem came out of the watch along with a bunch of microscopic bits of rings and washers and gaskets and things?

I replaced it with a Traser. No regrets. Except buying the Luminox to begin with.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seiko or Citizen for a better quality watch in that price range.

Your experiences are the same I've had with TAG over the years. I wore several different TAG's from 2005 to 2014. The battery only lasted 2 years in them. I had to get them fixed under warranty in the first 2 years (2 of them). Then they also broke about every 2 years and needed to get them fixed. I once sent my last one back to the TAG service center, they wanted $660 to fix it, so I had them send it back and got it fixed by the watchmaker at a AD for rolex, tag, breitling and others for $130.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Have I told the story about how I went to change the time on my first (and last) Luminox watch when I pulled gently on the crown and the entire stem came out of the watch along with a bunch of microscopic bits of rings and washers and gaskets and things?

I replaced it with a Traser. No regrets. Except buying the Luminox to begin with.

-Rob

I had the exact same thing happen with my first (and also only) Luminox. Giant $400 POS. And the battery died about 5 months after I bought it. Switched over to a Bertucci with a 10-year battery that's still going 12 years down the road.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I have this one. It’s been a great watch. And it’s eco-drive so no battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen...948&s=gateway&sr=8-2

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed my Luminox's for a couple decades.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Traser

Thanks for that and the other suggestions.
I definitely want tritium markers. I have a Seiko whose markers are practically blinding after exposure to the sun, but the illumination dies pretty quickly. When I need to see the time in the dark, it can be after several hours with no recharge.

The Traser line is more to my taste than the Bertucci offerings, but it’s good to know what’s available.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son gave me a Luminox that he got in a trade . I put a new band and battery in it and thought everything was good . In less than a year it started randomly losing time in 5 to 15 minute intervals . It didn't run slow , it just stopped and restarted . I'm hesitant to send it to the service center now . Not sure I want to invest any money in it .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
A decent sub-$700 Tritium-arm/dial, quartz movement watch I found was the Reactor Never Dark watches.

I have a dive model, my wife has a ladies non-dive, and I know a few others that wear them daily and no issues.

-Edited to adjust price range. When I bought mine, the were sub-$500 and had ladies models. Looking at the web site shows few ladies in the ND line and a slightly higher price average now.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two, fool me once and all that. Both were total garbage and quit working. Would have cost almost as much as I paid to fix them so in the trash they went.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I found a replacement battery at the local supermarket, cleaned everything up, glued the cracked corner into place, and put the back of the case back on. Despite being careful to not overtighten the screws, a different corner cracked.

I may have to stop at the fancy watch place in Denver the next time I’m there and look at the Traser line. Thanks again for all the replies.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
My Armourlite has been good to go. Great illum and battery life. Fairly reasonably priced, too.
I would buy again.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Traser

Thanks for that and the other suggestions.
I definitely want tritium markers. I have a Seiko whose markers are practically blinding after exposure to the sun, but the illumination dies pretty quickly. When I need to see the time in the dark, it can be after several hours with no recharge.

The Traser line is more to my taste than the Bertucci offerings, but it’s good to know what’s available.

My Seiko SKX007J glows super brightly all night. What model did you have?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I have 2 non working Luminox. The watch bands themselves aren’t very durable either.

I wear a G-Shock daily now and it’s been solid.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What model did you have?

The SNE537P1.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've owned two 3900 series that I bought on eBay after careful research to be reasonably sure they were not knock offs. I never paid much over $100 for either one.
Both have been great. I did replace the bands with a ballistic nylon type. I've replaced the battery on on both after a couple of years.
The first one finally started to look worn due to my high wear environment and I bought a second that I still use at times. The only reason it isn't my everyday watch is that I got a Fitbit to monitor activity.
I wouldn't pay much over my $100 price for any plastic watch. Years ago (actually decades ago) I bought a Rolex that I still own as a more dressy watch when I feel a need to impress someone. Probably guess that's why I never wear it.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one a few years ago. Bought it to wear at work after a rough arrest while I was wearing my Omega (decided I didn't want to take a chance on damaging it). After about 18 months the first battery went, then a second not to long after. Shortly after that started fogging and getting water in it. Instead of fixing or replacing decided to put money away to fix or refurbish my Omega if it does ever get banged up. Wear my Omega daily, not to impress but just because I love that watch.

Posts: 341 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had better luck than most.
I bought a Series 600 Luminox (Field Watch) when my daughter was 4. I’m I’ve put three batteries in it since then. Except for DST and short months I never have to touch it.
Daughter will be 20 next month.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Resco Instruments google them real deal watches.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post