SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    it's been brought to my attention, I've developed a character flaw
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

it's been brought to my attention, I've developed a character flaw Login/Join 
posted
It seems that I am not busy, fulfilled or engaged enough , these days.
I am no where near a daily filled schedule.

the down side to this is that I now have time to point fingers at every damn little thing and person.

And if I kept that too myself , I'd be ok .
but it seeps in to casual conversation.

pointing out how poorly someone parks, or that people stand in the middle of the isle , instead of off to one side,

broadcasting professional's mis pronouncing words and a giant ass crack on the plumber at the dentist office has become seen as petty and unattractive .

my apologies if this has flowed over in too the forum

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You have been invited to join

ISOC Membership

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The generally accepted term is "crotchety". As in "crotchety old man". Big Grin Curmudgeon is also an appropriate term, as presented by HRK.

Basically being grouchy, but in a somewhat endearing way.

It happens to most folks as they get older. Your brain-to-mouth filter starts to wear out as you age, and your ration of fucks to give dwindles away, so you start calling it as you see it, social graces be damned.

Think Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The generally accepted term is "crotchety". As in "crotchety old man". Big Grin Curmudgeon is also an appropriate term, as presented by HRK.

Basically being grouchy, but in a somewhat endearing way.

It happens to most folks as they get older. Your brain-to-mouth filter starts to wear out as you age, and your ration of fucks to give dwindles away, so you start calling it as you see it, social graces be damned.

Think Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Yep, as my cut attests to my transformation. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
If I recall, there was a documentary about this a number of years ago.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Eh? What's that? Speak up! Don't mumble.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend is perfect. If you don’t believe me just ask her.

Me, on the other hand, have all sorts of issues going on...according to her. Can’t even keep track of all my faults.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Ha ,I have reached that age where I don't give a shit about others feelings,be smarts ass to me and I dump it right back on you.
The time we have left is precious so use it wisely

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Ha ,I have reached that age where I don't give a shit about others feelings,be smarts ass to me and I dump it right back on you.
The time we have left is precious so use it wisely

Indeed. One of, if not the only, advantage to advancing age. I thought I was getting more tolerant...turns out I just don't give a shit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
My girlfriend is perfect. If you don’t believe me just ask her.
Could be worse such as dating a widow and being compared to her idealized memory of his perfection.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Character flaw? Hell, I thought this was perfectly normal behavior for the majority of us old farts.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This Austrian dude said:
"To know your self is the ultimate form of aggression".
As you age, you know yourself much better than in your youth, ergo, you become more aggressive about the idiocy that surrounds you.
Me, I like being crabby. Keeps the stupid away from me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's been broght to my attention, I've devloped a character flaw
Bendable, you'll be absolved if you say 20 "old dudes rule" Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Aw, you ain't got no character flaw.
And neither do I! Big Grin

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If all the idiots would stop screwin' up, we wouldn't have to bring them up. Not our fault.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I feel much better, after your confession, Bendable. I thought I was the only one with these character issues that I call strengths but my bride calls weaknesses.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a more serious note, who is the person who brought it to your attention?
Irritability and a lack of tolerance are sometimes depressive equivalents rather than a side effect of growing older. Think about it. You can certainly change your behavior.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Your brain-to-mouth filter starts to wear out as you age, and your ration of fucks to give dwindles away, so you start calling it as you see it, social graces be damned.

Pretty much. My CUT is accurate Wink.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What the hell does this have to do with age? I’m 38 and bendable’s post was like reading a personal journal entry (not that I keep one). I’m also very busy most days. Doesn’t mean I’m not surrounded by idiots and assholes.

Wink

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a more serious note, who is the person who brought it to your attention?

*a sibling 15 years my senior. brought it to my attention.

These things that I notice and bring up in casual conversation are not stuff that I dwell on or fixate on, they don't fester .
more anecdotal, than anything.

Others my age yak about their kids grand kids and g great g kids.

or they talk about their winter trips on a ocean liner or wintering in AZ.

With me stuck here in tiny town , it's either observing the back yard birds or the two legger's that water their lawns in the rain

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post