SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Classic Brands That Just Are No Good Anymore?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Brands That Just Are No Good Anymore? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Seiko makes a fine watch.

Yep I had mine for five years gave it to a buddy he's had it for 12+ and wears it every day. As far as I know he's never even had it serviced.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Liberty Overalls almost feel like t-shirt material now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Oh, great! My Seiko 5 is due to be delivered tomorrow.

I'm wearing a Seiko 5 I bought last year. It's running great.

I'm sure. If you've been following the watch thread in the Gallery, there are several members with S-5's who are all happy with them, which is why I ordered one.

My Seiko 5 was inexpensive and has worked well for years its all I need in a daily wear watch and No Batteries..

Seems like a lot of Seiko love in here. Congrats to you gentlemen that have had good service from yours. The fact remains that in my household we've had three that had metal bracelets that broke, bracelets that came apart because the link locks wouldn't stay secured, a second hand that fell off the movement and one that just flat out quit running all together. Seiko customer service did nothing resolve any of our complaints. Take that for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Martens

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
Dr. Martens

The English ones are still nice.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wood pencils and the erasers, now mainly made in China by some guy named Sum Ting Wong, are awful quality. Just crap.

I'm hoarding my old stash of quality USA made pencils.

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Cracker Jack

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Take that for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

Which really does nothing but point out the logical flaw of using anecdotes to draw general conclusions.

Who knows which of us is right - you had two or three bad Seikos. I have had three good ones. You have to look at a sample of thousands to really know.

The weight of anecdotes here seems to be running in Seiko's favor. But we'd all have to concede that none of us has a meaningfully large sample.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Eddie Bauer
L.L. Bean
North Face
Columbia
Polaroid

The first four started as high-quality outdoor oriented clothing and gear companies that went mass market.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Blue jeans - most brands.

When I was a kid they were all so thick and tough you could stand a new pair up in the corner.
We'd wear them to play yard football and play in the creek and have a bike wreck etc., and the jeans would rarely rip or get holes. New denim gets a hole in it the first time a blackberry stalk grabs your leg...

I cannot comment on the quality of newly purchased jeans/levis. Wife and I found a sale on them about 10 years ago and we bought essentially their whole supply. As I recall they were marked about $4.

Still have a stack of them that have never been worn. When I die, they will go to my son in law who can either roll up the legs, or have his wife cut them off.

As to other brands of stuff that have turned to shit, I cannot think of any not already mentions.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post