SIGforum
Classic Brands That Just Are No Good Anymore?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4730022124

March 18, 2017, 02:00 PM
PASig
Classic Brands That Just Are No Good Anymore?
What do you guys have for beloved classic brands that used to be really good but have really gone downhill?

For me, it's the TastyKake Baking Co out of Philadelphia. I grew up eating their pies and snack cakes like Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes and Butterscotch Krimpets, etc. They USED to be large, very high quality and just head and shoulders above any Drake or Hostess product out there. Then they began to have a lot of financial trouble and sold to some baking company in Gerorgia around 10 years ago. The quality has taken a dramatic downward dive and everything is so much smaller and cheaper looking and tasting now. It's to the point where I've written them off which hurts a lot!

I wrote this up on Yelp after the final straw, the last Krimpet I ate which SUCKED:

March 18, 2017, 02:11 PM
exx1976
Krimpets? Wasn't that discussed on an episode of Billions?
March 18, 2017, 04:53 PM
striperkid
The classic monster cereal.

Fruit Brute was a favorite of mine as a kid and they re-issued them during Halloween. Tasted totally different. Same for Count Chocula.
March 18, 2017, 05:15 PM
flesheatingvirus
Craftsman
GM
Ford
Chevy
Bridgeport

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
March 18, 2017, 05:25 PM
PHPaul
Black and Decker
Porter-Cable
DeWalt

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
March 18, 2017, 05:28 PM
BillF
Levi's
March 18, 2017, 06:12 PM
newtoSig765
quote:
Originally posted by BillF:
Levi's

That was my first thought, too, and I'll add Gillette.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
March 18, 2017, 06:13 PM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Levi's

Oh, holy CRAP yes, Levi's. Junk. One pair of jeans would last me several years. The last few pairs I bought, the belt loops ripped right out of them. Trash.
March 18, 2017, 08:22 PM
ArtieS
Timberland
Justin
Craftsman
Echo
Sperry
Sony
Land's End
Burger King

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
March 18, 2017, 08:39 PM
Lord Vaalic
Coke

They still make the good stuff in Mexico with real sugar

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
March 18, 2017, 08:57 PM
henryaz

Craftsman, for sure. Lots of others, too.

March 18, 2017, 11:50 PM
zoom6zoom
RCA, Westinghouse....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
March 19, 2017, 01:43 AM
Deputy 617
As much as I hate to be "that guy", I gotta be honest here. Pretty much all of the American companies that were once great, have been outdone by foreign companies over the years. There isn't much left of "American quality" these days. In fact, there are certain categories of products that I would consider to be absolute junk if made here.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!
March 19, 2017, 02:17 AM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Coke

They still make the good stuff in Mexico with real sugar

and I still buy it at the supermarket here, in glass bottles.

It is required whenever we have tacos or fajitas. It's a guilty pleasure.
March 19, 2017, 06:55 AM
SummersAtTheLake
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Levi's

And that was my immediate first thought also. I bought 2 pair a couple of years ago and the belt loop pulled loose from the pants the first time I wore them. The material is so thin there is just no material to sew to...after that pair broke I looked closer and there were only 5 belt loops on the jeans....Eddie Bauer jeans have 7 and much thicker material.
March 19, 2017, 07:03 AM
egregore
Black & Decker power tools (already mentioned). If I want cheap Chinese shit I might as well go to Harbor Freight. HF doesn't market or price as anything other than Chinese shit, and some of it actually works, so there is no hypocrisy.
March 19, 2017, 07:15 AM
Bullshooter
Armour (both their Hash and Beef Stew taste like something put together by a mad chemist).

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson
March 19, 2017, 07:26 AM
braillediver
Levis is funny. The old pairs wouldn't die and they aged really nice. Last pair I had wore out in less than a year. Clue I'm older and less active than I was so the jeans should last fore ever.

Craftsman tools were once a reference tool for the home user.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
March 19, 2017, 09:58 AM
Jus228
Craftsman tools used to be good enough for professional use. That's what all my wrenches and sockets are.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
March 19, 2017, 11:57 AM
2012BOSS302
York Peppermint Patties - just bland. In 2009, production of the York Peppermint Pattie moved from Reading, Pennsylvania to Mexico - surprise we have our crappy taste reason. There are a lot of snacks and candy that just taste bad, in the effort to cut costs they are cutting the reason for eating them - FLAVOR.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.