SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    BMW motorcycle switch gear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW motorcycle switch gear Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
You know I really like my Beemer but bouncing back forth between my other bikes with traditional((Japanese) switch gear gets a little irritating. My understanding is that BMW has switched to traditional turn signal set up but ......

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yes unfortunately (IMO) they switched, no pun intended. Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The BMW set up is sorta logical until you realize that 98% of the motorcycles are set up the same way and it’s not the BMW way.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year/model BMW are you currently riding? Most if not all BMW's have now gone to a more traditional turn signal setup.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
So, which is the BMW way & which is 'everyone else'?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have a 04’ R1100s. The BMW way was with the left turn signal switch on the left handle bar and the right switch on the right bar with the turn signal cancel switch for both on the right bar. Everyone else has the turn signals in one switch mounted on the left bar and the cancellation is part of the switch.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I have a 04’ R1100s. The BMW way was with the left turn signal switch on the left handle bar and the right switch on the right bar with the turn signal cancel switch for both on the right bar. Everyone else has the turn signals in one switch mounted on the left bar and the cancellation is part of the switch.

That's not the BMW way, it's the Harley Davidson Way.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yep. The real BMW way is up for left and down for right. And it’ll stay on for 250 miles if you forget to move it to the middle position. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:

That's mostly how the Indian in my garage is set up, only it self cancels, or can be cancelled by pressing the signal button again (for the indicator that is on).
I think it has an aftermarket lighting kit, though. Still learning it all.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My HD works a bit differently. Push right handlebar button for right signal, push it again to manually cancel. Push left handlebar button for left signal, push it again to manually cancel. The auto cancel tied to a lean angle sensor generally does the canceling for you.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
quote:

My HD works a bit differently. Push right handlebar button for right signal, push it again to manually cancel. Push left handlebar button for left signal, push it again to manually cancel. The auto cancel tied to a lean angle sensor generally does the canceling for you.

That is also how the HD's I've ridden work. What I was referring to is the left switch right switch thing. BTW my ride is a Honda V4 but my brother did like his Harley's and I had the pleasure of riding my SIL's Harley's. Yeah, he made sure to get his wife a Harley anytime he got a new one.

The Harley that really tripped my trigger was the V Rod Street Rod model. Basically it was nearly a UJM in seating with mid set controls with amazing handling and the strongest brakes of any bike I've ever ridden. Too bad I didn't have room for it and too bad it didn't catch on, because with some careful additions it was a great base for an amazing sport touring motorcycle.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

BMW started going to both turn signals on the left switch gear back in 2009. My 2009 K13S was the first BMW I owned that had the the turn signal switch on the left and I'm certain all BMW'S have gotten away from the turn signal switch on the left and right switch gear. Although it was awkward for some I had no issue with the turn signal button on the left and right.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my ‘67 BMW R50. NO turn signals at all. Hand signals. Speedometer and odometer. Nothing else. Gives me time to focus on the road.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
I like my ‘67 BMW R50. NO turn signals at all. Hand signals. Speedometer and odometer. Nothing else. Gives me time to focus on the road.

Those are really neat bikes.

YAT-YAS

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Their way of getting back at us for WW2. Same deal on some Porsche switch works..bassackwards to everyone else.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issues like this are exactly why I refuse to use turn signals on my moto. Add this to the growing list of things that make me a bad person.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I go back and forth between Japanese bikes and the BMW and there’s always a few minutes of gettin re acclimated.

YAT-YAS

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ ..to the cylinders sticking out the sides and the shaft drive. Big Grin

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have hit my knees on the cylinders a few times. I don’t even notice the difference of shaft drive. The Tenere is a shafty and the WR250 is just a hoot and usually wfo.

YAT-YAS

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My BMW switch gear is precise and simple to use on the left grip amount only. 2013 K1600 GT.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post