SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home Depot - Veterans Discount of 10% - Apparently Not
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Depot - Veterans Discount of 10% - Apparently Not Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
I just picked up $200 worth of crap from HD. Only one item was on sale at $29 so I anticipated a little discount of about $17. The nice clerk thanked me for my service and proceeded to tell me that none of my items were eligible for the discount.

I asked what things in the store qualified and she didn't know. Nothing else was on sale on my trolley.

HD used to thank you for your service by giving you 10% off on certain holidays. Now it appears to only be lip service.

I bought a Stihl leaf blower at Murdocks - a great home and ranch store. They gave me 15% off with proof of service.

The Good, the Bad and I didn't get Ugly.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The local one here just applied 10% to 13 feet of mahogany, some 1/2" black pipe, and wood screws (putting up shelves in man cave). Discount was ~$30.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
HD's official policy is that they only give that 10% off on Veterans day. Weve found that plenty of clerks will give it on any given day, if asked, but theyre not really supposed to.

Lowe's, on the other hand, gives 10% off with priof, every day.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delmag Tech:
HD's official policy is that they only give that 10% off on Veterans day. Weve found that plenty of clerks will give it on any given day, if asked, but theyre not really supposed to.

Lowe's, on the other hand, gives 10% off with priof, every day.

Exactly. I brought a new Cub Cadet at Homo Desperate (that's what I call them) and got a story about Cub told them not to discount them. I argued, then told them to stick it and went to leave the store without it. A manager of some sort caught me and said "Just this once, and don't tell anyone". I went back in, got my 10% off a new mower and trucked it home. A few days later I called Cub and related my experience. I was transferred to a manager who told me that was so much B.S; they sell Homo Desperate mowers for a certain price and don't care if they give them away. She also took my address and sent me free oil and air filters on Cub's dime.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyday here in Fayetteville, NC.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem at either HD or Lowe's.

Might be up to each stores manager. Who knows.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a vet, but my parents are and Home Depot used to give them 10% off everyday. About a year or so ago they stopped and now I never see them giving the 10% off anymore.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I question that statement about policy.

I have run into the odd item that "doesn't qualify" but flashing my retired ID card gets me 10% pretty much every time.

May be a distinction between "retired" and "veteran", or it may just be my store. Dunno.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I guess some items are not, I'm not sure which items are not eligible for a discount.

I bought an electric lawn mower a month ago, it was $300 and I did not receive a discount on it. I didn't question it as I thought that they don't have to do it. The discount has sure helped, though. I've saved hundreds of dollars in home stuff.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Military Times
May 4, 2017
"Lowe’s has expanded its everyday military discount program to include all honorably discharged veterans."

http://www.militarytimes.com/a...ary-discount-program

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why I don't shop a HD, Lowes really treats vets with respect.

Just follow rackrack's link and sign up. Lowes will give you a thingy for your key chain that the clerk will scan for the automatic discounts.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I question that statement about policy.

I have run into the odd item that "doesn't qualify" but flashing my retired ID card gets me 10% pretty much every time.

May be a distinction between "retired" and "veteran", or it may just be my store. Dunno.

To caveat my previous post, the local HD just requests the ID

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I don't go for all of that "thank you for your service" stuff.

I am happy to be alive and to live my life for friends who are not.

But, I do not have any issue with anyone who does partake. It is earned, nonetheless.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
That is exactly why I don't shop a HD, Lowes really treats vets with respect.

Just follow rackrack's link and sign up. Lowes will give you a thingy for your key chain that the clerk will scan for the automatic discounts.

Cool......I just signed up. Goodbye HD.

Thanks guys

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Just your HD. Sometimes you actually need to go to Customer Service and ask for the discount, not the checkout clerk. My Lowes and HD are across the street from one another and they actually have each others ads at the registers so you can price match.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Some items are not discountable per agreement with the manufacturer, others becuase they are considered "commodities" (some lumber). The computer/register won't do it.

Lowe's gives 10% everyday to active, retired, and "regular" veterans. There are caveats to the policy.

HD gives 10% everyday to active, retired, and disabled veterans, and to "regular" veterans as well during their Memorial Day sale and on Veterans Day, with caveats.

At HD, you can usually cheat if you have a veteran's ID card or have Veteran noted on your driver's license.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This is NOT directed at the OP, but I am beginning to tire of this generation of vets and their "where's my free shit" way of thinking.

There are guys I know who literally plan their shopping/dining on where they know they can get a Veteran's freebie. A few weeks ago I took my son to see Logan and the dude in front of me was complaining to the girl working the ticket window because the theatre did not offer any type of Veteran's discount.

Personally I think it is an extention of the whole "there I was" book writing phenomenon that many of the Navy SEAL's have written. As a military (and a generation) we have lost the ability to be humble.

Be grateful if someone chooses to acknowledge your service, but to be angry or upset because it was not enough acknowledgement, or not on a day that is most convenient? Come on.

One of my biggest fears is that the public at large is eventually going to get bored with the idea that they are "supposed to" honor Vets at every turn...and there will be a backlash.

I could go on, but likely I've pissed some folks off just by my statement above.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
This is NOT directed at the OP, but I am beginning to tire of this generation of vets and their "where's my free shit" way of thinking.

There are guys I know who literally plan their shopping/dining on where they know they can get a Veteran's freebie. A few weeks ago I took my son to see Logan and the dude in front of me was complaining to the girl working the ticket window because the theatre did not offer any type of Veteran's discount.

Personally I think it is an extention of the whole "there I was" book writing phenomenon that many of the Navy SEAL's have written. As a military (and a generation) we have lost the ability to be humble.

Be grateful if someone chooses to acknowledge your service, but to be angry or upset because it was not enough acknowledgement, or not on a day that is most convenient? Come on.

One of my biggest fears is that the public at large is eventually going to get bored with the idea that they are "supposed to" honor Vets at every turn...and there will be a backlash.

I could go on, but likely I've pissed some folks off just by my statement above.

I agree with you.

I've seen this from time to time at my LGS, for example. We have Glock, Walther, S&W and FN in the Blue Label case, but a couple of Vets got a little miffed that the store didn't offer mil discounts on everything.

As a retired Veteran, I was a little dismayed with their attitude.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ronin.

It's a courtesy provided by a store and over to them if they want to continue offering it.

Me, I never ask for it despite being eligible. Smacks of entitlement, but that is just me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't ask for it, if offered, I will accept it.

I am also tired of the "Thank you for your service". It is as mundane as "Have a nice day".

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post