SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Surplus Ammo": Cheap ammo price + outrageous shipping cost
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Surplus Ammo": Cheap ammo price + outrageous shipping cost Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thirty six bucks sounds like a lot, and people have gotten spoiled with the amazon prime free shipping and next day delivery schtick.

Take that block of ammunition and mail it to a friend, and see what it costs you.

A lot of people believe that shipping 2,000 pound safes all over the country is free.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Thirty six bucks sounds like a lot, and people have gotten spoiled with the amazon prime free shipping and next day delivery schtick.

Take that block of ammunition and mail it to a friend, and see what it costs you.

A lot of people believe that shipping 2,000 pound safes all over the country is free.

I can’t speak for anyone else here, but I know that I deserve free shipping AND a good guy discount.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"Thirty six bucks sounds like a lot...."

SGAmmo ships the exact same item for $16, not $36. If you want to pay an extra $20 for shipping, go right ahead. Surplus Ammo loves you guys.

Tatortodd, thanks for that tweak. I never noticed that particular filter before.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
SGAmmo ships the exact same item for $16, not $36. If you want to pay an extra $20 for shipping, go right ahead. Surplus Ammo loves you guys.

Not sure where those companies are located in relation to where you live? If one is across the country then obviously the shipping charges are going to be a lot more than the company that is one state away.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Surplus Ammo is in Montana. SG Ammo is in Oklahoma. So....

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
"Thirty six bucks sounds like a lot...."

Just because they charge a tad more for shipping doesn't mean they are profiting on it. Smaller guys that don't have the volume with UPS have to pay more and don't get the bulk flat rate shipping. If they are like me then they simply round the actual shipping cost up to the nearest dollar and pass it on.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Ammoman.com

Free shipping

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just because they charge a tad more for shipping

Double plus = "a tad?" Roll Eyes

Please get in touch with me, I have a bunch of stuff to sell you. My prices might be a tad high, but I"m sure you won't mind.... Big Grin

It's pretty clear what they are doing. They list their ammo as a few dollars less than, say, SG Ammo. That puts them "ahead" of SG Ammo on ammoseek and other such sites. Then they slip in the double plus shipping charge. Which makes their actual price significantly higher.

It isn't even the cost that so much bothers me. It just seems... sneaky. How much are you selling the ammo for? Just state it factually, and don't screw around with elevated "shipping" costs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justjoe,

posted Hide Post
Again, you ship it and see what it costs you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Again, you ship it and see what it costs you.

this,

SG and other companies often have a corporate account and are set up to get deals from UPS/FEDex,

or they eat the cost of shipping (which usually means you are paying for it in the cost of ammo)

I sell some oddball ammo on Gunborker,

one sale, the buyer was balking at my quoted price, saying I was overcharging him,

after a couple email conversations, I agreed to his 'price' with the stipulation that I would forward him my actual shipping invoice from UPS

he had gone into UPS, calculate shipping, and came up with a number to his zip,

I do the same, but since it was going to his residence, I clicked residence, also signature required, and insured for the full amount,

the difference was $6 or so,

he paid it,

UPS and Fed Ex make a fortune on small business and people who use them,

corporations (larger shippers, it is all about volume) get a significant break

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:

Please get in touch with me, I have a bunch of stuff to sell you. My prices might be a tad high, but I"m sure you won't mind.... Big Grin

I avoid doing any kind of business with people who do not understand the cost that goes into such things.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post