SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Surplus Ammo": Cheap ammo price + outrageous shipping cost
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Surplus Ammo": Cheap ammo price + outrageous shipping cost Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
I like Sellier and Bellot ammo for good quality target ammo, and I usually use ammoseek.com to find the best price. So "Surplus Ammo" came up at $159. for 1000 rounds. Cool! I went to their site and ordered one case. "Shipping costs calculated at checkout." That was a red flag, but I had already filled in all the order info, so I went to checkout to discover that shipping on one case was $36.00!!! Mad

I hadn't given credit card info, so I bailed-- after wasting 10- 15 minutes or so going through the ordering process. The next best price was SGAmmo, at $163. per case-- with total shipping of $16.00. That is what I ordered.

It's not the first time this kind of thing has happened to me. Excellent ammo price, outrageous "shipping cost."

Next day I got an email from Surplus Ammo. "You seem to have left something behind." Yeah, your petty scam.

I say let's name names, as we have done with other online frauds like Cheaper Than Dirt. Don't waste your time/money with Surplus Ammo. Anybody else had this happen with them or some other ammo site?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justjoe,

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Prefilled for the highest shipper as well. Target Sports tried that with me once. An insurance charge was added after the CC info was entered. There was no way to prevent the charge from being entered. I sent an email and received a credit. I noticed that problem was corrected and have had no trouble with them since.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I like targetsportsusa.com in addition to sgammo. They often do free shipping on case quantities.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SG Ammo And Ammo To Go for me.Good service and fairly reasonable shipping as compared to lots of other vendors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked Targetsports, and their prices seem inverted. Speer Gold Dot LE 9mm was the most expensive at $500/1000, 40S&W next, and .357Sig cheapest at about $450/1000. Usually, it's the other way around.

By the way, free shipping on all the above as bobtheelf said.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think there is no reason why this should be negative only. If there is an ammo supplier that is really good to deal with, let's hear about that as well.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Try living in Alaska...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Targetsportsusa.com

I love this place, and one of the only two that I order in bulk from. Free shipping on bulk orders, a few extra bucks and you get insurance and re-boxed so you don't have a big thing saying "REMMINGTON" on your front steps
(And they ship to Chicago!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SGAmmo

My go to is SGAmmo

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Targetsportsusa.com

I love this place, and one of the only two that I order in bulk from. Free shipping on bulk orders, a few extra bucks and you get insurance and re-boxed so you don't have a big thing saying "REMMINGTON" on your front steps
(And they ship to Chicago!)

They get 90% of my orders. No signature required, so I don't have to be home is a nice bonus. You can also throw four extra boxes of ammo in on a case order so I often buy a case of practice ammo and 100 rounds of SD when ordering. One problem there is no automated way to do it and confirmations will show a separate shipping charge. 85% of the time they catch it and you card is not billed for it, if they miss it you can call and they will refund it.

One time I tried to send a member some ammo as part of a karma, forgot to change shipping address back to my house. He moved a few days prior to my order so no longer even lived there. TS-USA was great they sent FedEx to go get the package and rerouted to me or TS-USA, I had my ammo pretty damn quick too. I screwed up the shipping information, but did not pay for they to pick up from wrong address or send to my house. A little hard to reach on the phone, but once you do they are great.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
Target sports gets my business

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
SG Ammo And Ammo To Go for me.Good service and fairly reasonable shipping as compared to lots of other vendors.

This is the place to go to. Fair shipping charges and good prices on ammo. I have bought tens of thousands of rounds from them with never a complaint.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Targetsports is great. I have a couple of cases shipped in every month or two.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

This is the place to go to. Fair shipping charges and good prices on ammo. I have bought tens of thousands of rounds from them with never a complaint.

Another fan of SG Ammo.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of targetsports and have done business with them in-person.

also ventura munitions a now local to me place also has good prices, and good people.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are they Serbian??

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I usually use ammoseek.com to find the best price.
Joe, you need to tweak a setting on your Ammoseek search (see red arrow):

Personally, I chose the "hide >= high shipping costs" option and the vendors you're complaining about all disappear.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are they Serbian??

they definitely have an eastern European accent, but big American, and Gadson flags hung. Just really fans of freedom.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they definitely have an eastern European accent, but big American, and Gadson flags hung. Just really fans of freedom.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks, thought so. The brief telephone conversation sounded like that. Glad to hear. Most immigrants USED to be like that.

posted Hide Post
Thirty six bucks sounds like a lot, and people have gotten spoiled with the amazon prime free shipping and next day delivery schtick.

Take that block of ammunition and mail it to a friend, and see what it costs you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post