SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cervical disc. Looking like surgery. Ouch.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cervical disc. Looking like surgery. Ouch. Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
Have a torn disc at C5-6 with extruded disc material, chronic degenerative issues to boot. Got a lovely cervical epidural about a week ago, got no relief at all from that.

I go see the spine surgeon tomorrow am, discussion to center on how to expedite fixing this. I cannot feel my left pinky and ring fingers, and have shooting/throbbing/burning that emanates from my shoulder and runs down my arm to my hand. Cannot sleep b/c can't find a position for more than an hour that doesn't irritate the nerve.

This sucks. I am the surgeon at my practice that does all the in depth heavy hitter surgery, so I'm out of the game until they figure this out....

Anyone know a top notch surgeon in Memphis??

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good luck.
So, who will be covering for you, while you're out of commission?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Have a torn disc at C5-6 with extruded disc material, chronic degenerative issues to boot. Got a lovely cervical epidural about a week ago, got no relief at all from that.

I go see the spine surgeon tomorrow am, discussion to center on how to expedite fixing this. I cannot feel my left pinky and ring fingers, and have shooting/throbbing/burning that emanates from my shoulder and runs down my arm to my hand. Cannot sleep b/c can't find a position for more than an hour that doesn't irritate the nerve.

This sucks. I am the surgeon at my practice that does all the in depth heavy hitter surgery, so I'm out of the game until they figure this out....

Being a surgeon yourself, you should know how to find the best one in Memphis, ask the OR nurses.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Good luck, my wife has had two cervical operations. She is also going to her third back surgery. She has degenerative disease in her spine. The nerves in her legs are shot. We are hoping the surgery will stop or slow down the need for a wheelchair.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

hit me directly on my profile email...

Hell... andrewwatson at comcast.net

I know most of the Neurosurgeons at Semmes Murphy who are the best in Memphis period!!

No offense to ortho... but spine surgery is best left to Neurosurgeons. And Semmes is ones of those clinic that "wrote a lot of the books".

had them do my L5/S1 microdisk. 10days later - bonefishing in the Bahamas.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

Being a surgeon yourself, you should know how to find the best one in Memphis, ask the OR nurses.

True, haha, but I'm a veterinarian, so the veterinary surgeons get all squeamish when I ask them to cut on me. Weenies...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
quote:

hit me directly on my profile email...

Hell... andrewwatson at comcast.net

I know most of the Neurosurgeons at Semmes Murphy who are the best in Memphis period!!

No offense to ortho... but spine surgery is best left to Neurosurgeons. And Semmes is ones of those clinic that "wrote a lot of the books".

had them do my L5/S1 microdisk. 10days later - bonefishing in the Bahamas.

Andrew

I will do that in a few, and thanks! I actually just came from there this am, decided if I'm getting cut I want Semmes Murphey to be the ones.

Looks like I'm getting a 3 space fusion surgery done on the 24th, so y'all will be rid of me for at least a day. Big Grin

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Wishing you success and a speedy recovery.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I’ll handle the dog food threads for you during your absence. Big Grin

Seriously, best wishes for a rapid recovery. I’ve got S1 L5 fusion pending next month.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you well. I was in an auto accident that left C5-6 issues. It was a year of hell from the shoulder to my fingertips.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...Looks like I'm getting a 3 space fusion surgery done on the 24th, so y'all will be rid of me for at least a day. ..."

Does the fusion involve a bone graft? If so, your bone or donor bone? If yours, that hurts worse than the fusion!!!!!!!
C-5/C-6, C-7/T-1 many years ago. Graft, my bone, did not take the first time, so had to be done a second time! Second time the orthopedic surgeon had a neurosurgeon involved as he wanted his consulting on scar tissue and stenosis of the area. Initial issue was similar to yours, loss of use of last 2 fingers on right hand, pain in shoulder down right arm, and beginnings of right arm function loss.
Second time healing period was about 1/2 of first. Get twinges still due to scar tissue and stenosis, ice pack helps to minimize when it occurs.
Best of Luck!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I hope it goes smoothly, perfectly, and you recover quickly with a minimum of pain.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I officially turn myself in tomorrow am at 6:30 for surgery.

walkinghorse, they are not using my own bone, it's a synthetic that he said is clear on radiographs so he can more easily monitor bone regrowth on follow up.

He mentioned in passing that, while it feels like my sternum is low enough upon palpation, sometimes they must crack the upper sternum to gain access for that C7-T1 space. If that ends up being the case they will recover me and schedule another surgery for later to allow a thoracic surgeon to be on hand. This I do not want to do.

Gonna be a party, y'all.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
Again Best Wishes!!!!!!
For what it's worth????, I have a nice 3" horizontal scar on my lower neck, no sternum messed with!
Fingers crossed that they do not need to me with your sternum!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Again Best Wishes!!!!!!
For what it's worth????, I have a nice 3" horizontal scar on my lower neck, no sternum messed with!
Fingers crossed that they do not need to mess with your sternum!

Jim

posted Hide Post
Duplicate

Jim

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm alive. Three level disc fusion done, they were able to reach that bottom one without cracking the chest. Smile

Great surgeon, great staff, great experience, if one can associate greatness with surgery. I am in much less pain now than prior to surgery, though the numbness remains.

So far I've walked at least 2 miles a day since the surgery, so I'm doing my part to get better. Thank you for all the well wishes!

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
^^^^
Good to hear. Hopefully back to doing your own surgery shortly. Nice to hear of positive outcomes.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad it's worked out so well and that you're on the road to recovery.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post