SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    In the Immortal Words of Pete from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou...(tool rant)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the Immortal Words of Pete from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou...(tool rant) Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
"That don't make no sense!"

I have an ancient set of Crapsman 1/2 drive sockets. Reefing on that dozer, I busticated the 3/4 inch one, and the 11/16ths has been missing for a while.

So, I went to Deep Homo to get some replacements.

Here's where The Stupid comes in:

3/8ths drive 6 point sockets - yup anything you want.

1/2 drive 6 point? No can do, they're all 12 point.

WTH? If I'm up to 1/2" drive that means I'm REEFING on that sumbitch. Logically, the bigger the drive, the more a beefy 6 point socket is important. I can get away with 12 point sockets on the 3/8ths drive.

Completely bass ackwards.

I did find a cheapo set of 1/2" 6 pointers at Walmart but I suspect reefing on them is contraindicated. They'll do until I can locate a good set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have split a few Craftsman sockets, and a lot of the replacements are 12 point, which I agree, are useless for heavy work.

Get the black, high impact sockets from Harbor Freight. They are cheap, and as far as I am concerned, unbreakable. Make sure to order the 6 pt, as they make 12 pt as well.

I had a 240 pound friend in his late 20s using a 24" bar to break loose some 7/8 nuts on a rusty bush hog. The nuts came loose; the socket was unmarked. For what it's worth, the 24" bar was from Harbor Freight also.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
All I can offer is, keep on the sunny side of life.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm with you fellers...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, STAY OUT OF THE WOOLWORTH’S!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an ancient set of Crapsman 1/2 drive sockets.

Watch your language there, young feller, this here’s a family establishment.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I did find a cheapo set of 1/2" 6 pointers at Walmart but I suspect reefing on them is contraindicated. They'll do until I can locate a good set.

If you want them fancy sockets, I ‘kin order ‘em for you. Have ‘em here in a couple weeks.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Well ain't this place a geographic oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need a set of impact sockets, even the cheapos will be hard to bust

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Sounds like you need a set of impact sockets, even the cheapos will be hard to bust

I actually have a set of HF impacts. They're fine and that's what I went to while I was waiting to get to town to buy replacements for my regular set.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
There are no longer ANY 6-Point 1/2" Drive 'Crapsman' sockets (NOT Made in USA any longer either) available in ANY size unless you buy Impact sockets. That said, they're certainly suitable for hand use and better/stronger than the chrome hand tool sockets they're currently selling anyway!

You probably know this, but Craftsman tools are available thru Lowes and the selection I've seen (in multiple stores) is extensive. If you don't have a store within striking distance, you can order online and have them shipped 'Downeast'.... Wink

Just to add - I definitely feel your pain! My long time pet peeve about Craftsman, dating back to the mid-1990's/early-2000's time frame (when they were STILL Made in USA), is that they did not offer 1/2" Drive 6-Point sockets (a least in sets) larger than 7/8" Deep & 15/16" Shallow. As I would ONLY buy 6-Point Sockets and preferred to buy in sets as they cost less and included metal storage trays, my collection of larger 1/2" Drive sockets is composed of random sizes based on specific needs. I was always waiting for them to offer the 6-Point sets in large sizes, but that obviously never happened! Roll Eyes

It's been a long downhill slide for Craftsman ever since! Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There’s always Ebay........ really. You can find Craftsman Vintage sockets to replace your broken ones.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I never figgered you for a paterfamilias.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration but the real problem is where you are shopping for tools.... neither HomeDepot, Lowes or especially Wallyworld is a place to buy a professional grade tool.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
eBay for single socket replacements. You can find them for $2-$5 per socket usually, and get the exact size you need.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
There’s always Ebay........ really. You can find Craftsman Vintage sockets to replace your broken ones.

And flea markets.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You boys need to change your life. You don't use off brand tools, of which craftsman is one, for any kind of serious work. Its OK that you do, but why complain here about your choice? Long, long ago, like well over 55 years I was much like the chinese army. My main transportation was my own foot power. If I wanted to go someplace, I hoofed it. And along the way, I'd pick up any tools I found.

I know I'm opening my self to complaints about other never seeing tools along the roads, but they're there unless I got to them first. I even had my own tool chest, so to speak. It was a tiny little milsurp "crystal" case. But as I went I began to accumulate some top quality tools. Often known as "Snap-On". I kept them well hid and didn't share with my snooty brother or father, unless he asked. Then I stood watch the entire time. Leave nothing to chance. I discovered they saw no difference. And if either somehow came into a better brand, I could be pretty sure my little tool box was the source.

You can, or might be able to break a Snap-On or even a Matco or Mack tools socket. But you've got to work at it to get it done. If you don't mind waiting or not getting your job done, the super economy ones might be OK for you. But calling them economy is just stupid. They're just cheap junk.

If you want quality, head out to a swap meet where real mechanic's go, not pretenders like we've been hearing from. Hint: my mother never could figure out why I'd need more than a screwdriver (there are different kinds and sizes?) and a pair of rusty pliers.

In my ignorance, I haven't seen a real tool catalog in decades. Just find a Snap-On truck crash landed at a car dealership and buy what you need. I know, it costs money, like real money, not pocket change.

If you want to do a job, get professional quality tools.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I believe you’ll find management disagrees with your characterization of SF. The boss has, on more than one occasion, allowed as how SF is a forum for adult conversation.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You boys need to change your life. You don't use off brand tools, of which craftsman is one,

Didn’t used to be. Wasn’t Snap-On or Matco, but it was serviceable stuff.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
You boys need to change your life. You don't use off brand tools, of which craftsman is one, for any kind of serious work. Its OK that you do, but why complain here about your choice?

If I had your money, I'd have Snap On too. I'd rather replace the occasional $5.00 socket than blow $12K on a Snap On box. Even used, the price of Snap On and other top shelf brands are just flat out of my reach.

Every once in a while I'll luck into something at a yard sale but that's the only way S/O finds it's way into my box.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
;
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I believe you’ll find management disagrees with your characterization of SF. The boss has, on more than one occasion, allowed as how SF is a forum for adult conversation.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You boys need to change your life. You don't use off brand tools, of which craftsman is one,

Didn’t used to be. Wasn’t Snap-On or Matco, but it was serviceable stuff.

Past tense. I know, there was a Sears in every shopping mall. No more.

As for yard sales, I stop at them if my wife will let me. She hates them with a passion. My only salvation is that I'm snooty, while she can't tell the difference. A wrench is a wrench, and when she's done with it, she just drops it where she finished. Sons on the other hand are allergic to work and terrified of any tool with that name on it. I brings along a world of hurt from dad.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ebay. Single sockets there.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post