SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Threads that turn into... uh, you know contests.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threads that turn into... uh, you know contests. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Why do so many people insist on turning most threads into dick swinging contests? Years ago it was real bad here for a spell, luckily most of those people have mellowed out or left the site. Most.

We still have a few and they seem to be in rare form lately. Why do you feel the ned to talk down to everyone on everything? Why even bother engaging in conversation with people who are wrong, and by people I mean everyone apparently who isn't you. I'm getting sick of their expert abuse. I suppose it's my fault, some of them I've given up reading anything they write long ago. I guess I need to add more to my 'don't bother" list.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4d8PHDG4yE

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30666 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Names. We want names. For tar and feathers purpose.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A word from experiance,
Criticizing the membership here can get all kinds of unwanted attention,
Ask me I know.

I'd consider erasing the o.p.
Toot sweet.

Just a friendly heads up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Haahahaahaha

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
There are definitely a few people here who think they know everything on any topic.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

You're killing me here Q Big Grin I've learned that in my minimal time here that anytime you make a post your going to be exposed to so many differing opinions that somebody won't likely agree with your opinion, some will, it's just the way it is imo. I'll likely stay around just for the cat thread! Besides, it's a great place for inspiration and company during COVID, it kinda lightens the spirits.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
You're killing me here Q Big Grin I've learned that in my minimal time here that anytime you make a post your going to be exposed to so many differing opinions ...

Not to mention people who may know a lot more than you on a given subject, so you best have it right Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Kill them all; let Parabellum sort them out! Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people will become upset if anyone disagrees with them (two-way street in that regard), but what I believe this thread is about isn’t disagreement, but how the disagreement is expressed.

One of the most obvious reasons people express their disagreements disagreeably is because they are insecure and uncertain about their own position. I could cite many different examples, including some in current threads, but to keep it as agreeable as possible, consider what happens when someone asks about cleaning a gun. It’s almost inevitable as the sun’s rising that someone will feel compelled to chime in with a comment that guns don’t need to be cleaned. I remember one member here who would always jump in with a claim that bore fouling was “self-limiting”*, and therefore there was no need to ask about cleaning bores.

And even that wasn’t so bad because as I recall he left it at that, but some people can’t and must add comments about people wasting time and/or money on the task and only a fool would worry about such things. Comments like, “I have better things to do with my time than …” are indirect accusations that people who clean their guns must have so few other good things to do with their time that they don’t mind wasting it on unnecessary tasks like cleaning guns.

Such responses very often include straw man arguments such as the, “Cleaning your gun won’t make you a better shooter,” sort when no one ever claimed that it would. Someone making such a statement evidently believes that his own argument isn’t strong enough without alleging that other people are making obviously invalid claims.

So, why would someone go to all that time and trouble to get involved in a question about how to clean a gun if he believed it wasn’t necessary? The most likely explanation is that he’s not trying to convince anyone else that it’s not necessary: Why would he? What does he get out of saving some anonymous stranger a little bit of time and effort? The person he’s trying to convince is himself. He doesn’t like the task, but rather than just not do it for his personal reasons, he must announce his beliefs to the world. Down deep he knows that his opinion about cleaning guns is not valid, but by expressing it publicly it helps him ignore his own nagging doubts.

Whenever I see certain disagreeable comments, my first thought is, “Yeah, the person you’re trying to convince is yourself because you know it’s a stupid position.”

* Bore fouling isn’t self-limiting, at least not before it can significantly degrade precision. As an example, that was demonstrated in the one-day, 10,000 round test of a P220 pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why do you feel the ned?

(sometimes I like leaving my typos for comedic value)

As for experts... MANY years ago I was on a now defunct web forum. On that site were several well known gun writers, most of whom you would know very well. A certain topic came up, and I made a suggestion where I was practically laughed off the site. It was so obvious to everyone as to why it wouldn't work, and that I clearly didn't know enough to know why, that they wouldn't even get into a discussion about it. I was obviously too stupid to know better. There was nothing to debate, I was beyond wrong, it was beneath them to even try to explain it. This was such simple basic stuff.

I then showed them that not only was I not wrong, but I'd been doing it for years, I'd done it countless hundreds of times and it worked pretty well. Because they "knew' it wouldn't work, the idea of even trying it had never even entered their minds. Point being, you may know a lot, but what you know may not be totally true. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Why do you feel the ned?

(sometimes I like leaving my typos for comedic value)

My computers auto correct will do that for me without exception usually thinking it knows what's best!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
There are definitely a few people here who think they know everything on any topic.

People who think they know everything are so annoying to those of us who do.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You're wrong, Rey. Jeez.... Roll Eyes

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a prelude to a steel cased ammo thread? Cause if it is, count me in!

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Be right back, going to make some popcorn.

Maybe a big buncha popcorn.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the popcorn guys. Go check out the Jay Leno thread in the Lounge. Should be entertaining.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
"I'm confident your thoughts could have been expressed in a better manner."

Member jaaron11 posted this in reply to a particularly harsh post back in 2017.

I thought it was so good that I "borrowed" it and have used it in both personal and business communications several times when things got testy.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When posting, I try to adhere to a self made rule: One post only in any thread. I have violated my rule a few times this year because times are....Extraordinary.
The one post only rule helps keep me from arguing or getting into arguments.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One should never try to win a net argument. If the next guy mentions his 1/4” groups at 200 yards, I don’t need to engage.

One has to filter anything posted, can’t see that changing.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post