SIGforum
Corporate Workplace Relationships/Friendships

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4690094354

March 13, 2019, 09:11 PM
shovelhead
Corporate Workplace Relationships/Friendships
Funny you should mention the twenty minute thing. Brought back memories of my decision to retire almost two years ago.

I was hating the daily drive going to work, that had been happening for the last couple of years. When I started hating to drive home at night, that was the final straw.

Nothing going on at home to cause that, just dreading the drive because I knew that thirteen hours from then I would be back on the road heading back to the shitshow again.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
March 22, 2019, 08:27 AM
PD
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
That's a toxic work culture there. Something like that can only be fixed from the top. If the people at the top don't fix it, that means they condone it.

I concur.

It’s the culture, dar185, and it starts from the top down. There is nothing you can do about it. Update your resume and start looking.
March 25, 2019, 06:48 PM
mrapteam666
dar185:

I am glad that I am not the only one who suffers from a work environment as toxic and demoralizing as I work in.

We have about 16 or so people in our office and it is a snake pit.

That office has the lowest morale of any place I have ever been, even AFG where they were trying to blow us up all the time.

It cannot be changed, and it is not worth the effort to even try. I have already put my two weeks ins. I will be gone by the end of April.
March 25, 2019, 07:37 PM
XLT
I have nightmares all the time from a job I quit 34 years ago no kidding, that's why I'm self employed with no employees.
June 27, 2019, 04:36 AM
dar185
Thanks for all of the great advice.

I put in for another position with the same company at one of our other locations, not corporate. It will be a raise, 5 minutes from home, better hours and no income tax. I accepted last Friday.

Now my boss is dragging his feet and will try to keep me as long as possible in my current position... Trying not to be fired before I move.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN
June 27, 2019, 05:30 AM
fpuhan
My basic rule of life:

Change the changeable. Accept the unchangeable. Remove yourself from the unacceptable.

Here's my other rule: find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

You decide.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
June 27, 2019, 02:42 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
Trying not to be fired before I move.

Good to hear. Before retiring, several people told me that it's a lot easier before you leave because the end is in sight and the politics and BS no longer bother you.

That was not the case for me. If anything, it was harder to put up with and keep my mouth shut. A couple of times, I came very close to letting the exec I reported to know what a complete asshole I thought he was.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
June 27, 2019, 02:50 PM
dar185
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
Trying not to be fired before I move.

Good to hear. Before retiring, several people told me that it's a lot easier before you leave because the end is in sight and the politics and BS no longer bother you.

That was not the case for me. If anything, it was harder to put up with and keep my mouth shut. A couple of times, I came very close to letting the exec I reported to know what a complete asshole I thought he was.

I was hoping it would be easier too. I assumed he would be happy to see me go. I’d like to tell him what I think of him, but nothing good will come from it. Keeping my mouth shut and my head down is not normal, lol.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN
June 27, 2019, 03:16 PM
TomS
quote:
I am naive in thinking this can be fixed?

Yes

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.
June 27, 2019, 05:05 PM
k5blazer
I quit socializing with coworkers 15 years before I retired. The last 4 months I had difficulty in keeping my mouth shut. Even put on my too small wedding ring on my little finger to remind myself to keep quiet. Now that I am out my blood pressure has returned to normal and I fully intend to stay clear of work. It is amazing talking to other retirees as about 50% say they miss going to work. They don't miss the work but the social interaction. I avoid those that say this.
June 27, 2019, 05:45 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
It is amazing talking to other retirees as about 50% say they miss going to work. They don't miss the work but the social interaction. I avoid those that say this.

I hear the same things and it boggles my mind. As others have said, I kept my work life and my personal life apart.

I was talking to the wife about something a couple of months after I retired and it prompted me to think of someone I had worked with every day for a couple of years before the end. Mentally, I had so far put my work life behind me that I could no longer remember that coworker's name.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
June 28, 2019, 01:09 AM
Pickle Rick
Say Adios and run.

June 28, 2019, 04:34 AM
Mars_Attacks
I am the nightmare to the toxic and I have a zero tolerance policy for petty bullshit.

People are clamoring to get into my department.

I have sent a long time toxic into administrative guidance twice since my promotion. It was my orders to straighten her out or she goes, so tough love it is. She will either get along and be a team member or lose a 20 year career. I don't care which. I refuse to lose another good person because of her hostility.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
July 28, 2019, 05:41 AM
White Phosphorus
I don't remember ever working with someone I considered competent who engaged in toxic work behavior. I think people who do so are loafers.

Ditto for mean spirited workers and employers. They try and compensate for .... or hide,.... that they are idiots by being mean.

V.
July 30, 2019, 06:34 PM
selogic
I retired two years ago this month . I was only 59 1/2 . Still had a few good years left in me but I'd had enough . Upper management that I couldn't trust , working hands that were out to fuck you over just for the sport of it . Interesting and extremely challenging work but when you HATE walking in the door , it's time . No regrets , but a lot of hard feelings . I'll get over it eventually .