SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hating to finish a good book.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hating to finish a good book. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I just finished reading a WWII Naval History book by Craig Symonds, a very lengthy read. I enjoyed his writing very much, and got very absorbed every time I read it.

I hate short novels, books. The longer they are, the better I like them.

I Remember reading, Gary Jenning's Aztec so many years ago, quite a thick book, loved it.

Who else likes huge books?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
While I am not necessarily a fan of long books, I do dread when a good book is coming to an end.

One such book was a Lewis and Clark book that I read last year. Another was The Beatles: Tune In by Mark Lewisohn. The Lewisohn book is especially difficult because he is going to publish 2 more. First was published in 2013 while 2nd should be in 2020 and the 3rd in 2028.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I started reading really long books some time ago. So much more satisfying to hold a 500-1k+ page hardback book a few inches thick when closed and know there’s so much more left to read when you’re wiped out and can’t keep your eyes open late at night. When you hit the last page, there’s a bit of disappointment that there isn’t more. I completely relate.

On that note, I think my son is old enough now that we’re going to read through The Hobbit pretty soon. When we finish that, I’ll break out the big hardback edition of the complete Lord of The Rings edition I have and we’ll start on that. Big Grin

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I read about 75 books a year. Last year some took a few days and some took a week or two. I'm just finishing The Institute by Steven King - nearly 600 pages and 10 days. Great read but I hate to see it come to an end.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
So much more satisfying to hold a 500-1k+ page hardback bookWhen you hit the last page, there’s a bit of disappointment that there isn’t more. I completely relate.

Big Grin

I can see a trip to the library Monday.

To me, lenghty history books, written well, are the max.

The only short novels I've ever enjoyed were the Spanish Bit Saga books by Don Coldsmith.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I had the same feeling as I was finishing Tragedy and Hope and also Human Action.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I too, hate to see the end of a good book.

I am a voracious reader, always have been. I used to haunt used book stores and make frequent trips to the library.

Then I got a Kindle reader. Fantastic device! I rarely spend any money, there are always free books to explore in Prime Reading, and I can connect with the county library to borrow books electronically. Very handy when going to the doctor, the motor vehicle office, or anyplace else where I am going to be sitting on my tuchas for a while in a waiting room -- I can carry dozens of books, thousands even, in a small lightweight device.

Prime Reading is free for Amazon Prime members. Kinde Unlimited is ten bucks a month for a much bigger selection of books, but to date I have been able to avoid paying that. Every now and again they offer a 99 cent special for three months (33 cents / month), after which it reverts to the regular ten dollars unless you cancel before the three month renewal date. I have availed myself of that special, several times.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I have read "The complete works of Sherlock Holmes" and "The complete works of Jack London" several times. Great books.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I have read "The complete works of Sherlock Holmes" and "The complete works of Jack London" several times. Great books.

In my preteens, I got hooked on Sherlock Holmes. I read all the SH books in our local library, and Mom's friend who was a Librarian there would find the one's I had not read at other libraries for me.

You get "tuned" in to the "British" vernacular /grammar once you read Sherlock Holmes books.

Recently, I've tried to recultivate that early interest in Sherlock Holmes, but the Victorian style of writing grammar just makes me lose interest.

Many books have larger print in pages, of course they are easy to read. But when you find books with small print, and not many paragraph breaks, that is some serious reading times !

美しい犬

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
If it is a good read, the longer the better. I catch myself skimming poorly written or uninteresting books so I can finish them up sooner. Good books I find I read slower to try and make them last as long as I can.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I too, hate to see the end of a good book.

I am a voracious reader, always have been. ...

Then I got a Kindle reader.

When I was about 10 years old our TV broke and my Mom could not afford to fix it or get a new one. As a result, I became a voracious reader as well.

I read 30+ books a year. As far as long reads, last year I read 'Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors' (500 pages), 'The City of Mirrors' (587), 'The Conquering Tide' (656), 'Grant Moves South' (492), 'Team of Rivals' (945), and 'Vietnam' (752).

I love my Kindle too. IMO, it's the best thing since the invention of the internet. I never go anywhere without it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I catch myself skimming poorly written or uninteresting books so I can finish them up sooner.

I used to do this, but not any more. There's just too many good books out there that I don't waste my time reading crap. I give a book 100 pages (sometimes less). If it hasn't "sold" me by then, I dump it and pick up something else.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I love my Kindle too . . . I never go anywhere without it.
The Kindle goes with me if I have a reasonable expectation of sitting and waiting for someone or something.

Other times, if I find myself with an unplanned wait, there's always the Kindle app on my phone. If wifi is available the phone app syncs with the Kindle, showing my current place in the book that I am reading.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Heaven on earth looks like this. I'm sitting in my Tommy Bahama chair reading on my new Kindle Oasis (It's a killer upgrade to the Paperwhite). I'm in my swimsuit wearing my Costco reader sunglasses drinking a Monster Energy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sadly I don't read much anymore, but I would drag out finishing them. read the first 500 pages in three days and take two weeks to read the last 25.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kindles are fantastic. My wife claims I am single handedly destroying the library system. I try to tell her I’m reading a library book on my kindle to no avail. She likes the smell and heft of an actual book. I prefer to carry my favorite 1000 books with me. She’s a Luddite. (dig at ensigmatic). I just finished The Wheel of Time series for the third time. It made me wish for one more book. I’m with you brother.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Know the feeling. There are books that I hated to finish. Many Hemingway books were like that. That is when you know it was a great read, you dont want it to end.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I like long books with short chapters.
I like to read after I go to bed, and if the chapters are around 30 pages long, that’s just about right. I hate to stop before the end of a chapter.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leon Uris “Trinity” and the sequel “Redemption”

Great stuff.

I too have started giving up on books that don’t pull me in. If I start noticing which page I am on, that is a flag that this isn’t as good a# it might be.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Someone once said that there’s no such thing as a cup of tea that’s too big or a book that’s too long. Arthritis means I’m having to actually limit the size of my cups of tea (and the big refill is in the kitchen), but a good book can’t be too long for me. And good is the key. I have become much more willing to dump a book if I don’t like it. Even though I get a little panicky if the pile of unread books gets too low, there are limits to what I’m willing to put up with these days and I’m becoming more than a little annoyed about the recent trend of authors of what are supposed to be serious histories to write as if their readers were twelve years old.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post