SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Disrespecting the American Flag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disrespecting the American Flag Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I'm in California this week on business, and when I get the chance, I go running. Call it my way of sightseeing!

Sadly, I passed two office buildings this morning flying the American flag that were in such a state of disrepair, that my heart fell. It was quite apparent that these flags fly round-the-clock, in obvious violation of 36 U.S.C. 173-174. The flags were tattered, faded, and not spotlighted.

If I have the chance/time to identify the building owners/management, I am going to send them an email expressing how disappointed I am in their blatant disregard for Old Glory.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Can't cure stupid. I'm with you except that I go into the business and act a fool -- "who's your boss", "what idiot lets the flag fly in that condition", "where is you supply room and do they have replacement flags", and finally, "I'll take it down and PROPERLY dispose of it and if you put up another one, here's my phone number -- call me when it gets into this condition".

Guess I'm done.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I sent an editorial op-ed to the local media outlet. I don't know if it will go anywhere, but I feel better now.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I suspect, if you look closely, you'll find the same where you live. It's just a matter to what degree you can see it. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Yes, and no. I walk and run my neighborhoods often, and I'm happy to report that Old Glory is flying proudly from many homes. Yes, I've seen a few that are in need of replacement, but for the most part, I think people are pretty respectful. No, there aren't a lot of "spotlighted" flags, so they fly 24x7, but I would say most homeowners probably don't know or don't care about flag etiquette.

I did right an article for the local NextDoor.com, and got a lot of responses, thanking me for bringing this to homeowners' attention, but what really frosted my stones today was that these were commercial establishments. In my book, if you're going to "proudly" fly the flag in front of your place of business, you should at least do so with respect and regard for it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

I did right an article for the local NextDoor.com, and got a lot of responses, thanking me for bringing this to homeowners' attention, but what really frosted my stones today was that these were commercial establishments. In my book, if you're going to "proudly" fly the flag in front of your place of business, you should at least do so with respect and regard for it.

I see this as another form of virtue signalling. If the business was serious about their support for America the flag would be regularly replaced and flown to code.

I'll cut individuals a lot of slack when it comes to not lighting the flag at night, etc., but if you're a company and are using the flag to help shill your product, do it right 'cause I'll look for another option to what they sell.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post