SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lawyers and the NFL concussion suit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyers and the NFL concussion suit Login/Join 
posted
OTL: Concussion settlement takes nasty turn http://es.pn/2ogE5Gc
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

This turns my stomach. I understand everyone wants a piece of the settlement including players, players wives or girlfriends, families and so on.
Want to know why so many people dislike lawyers? Here ya go.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm confused with this... Maybe I'm wrong, but don't you hire an attorney, they tell you their fee, and you go about your business. So if when you signed up with an attorney and they said my fee is 40% and you agreed why is this a big deal?

Like I said, maybe I'm completely out of the loop and clueless so don't bash me but attorneys wanting to get paid for services doesn't seem any different than any other business wanting to get paid for services.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with that piece at all. That article is entirely sensationalism. It looks to me like the issue is a whole lot of people agreed to pay their lawyers a chunk of their winnings, and now that the money is coming in they don't want to pay up.

In the other cases, they swapped lawyers mid way through the proceedings. Now they expect to not owe anything at all for the time the first lawyers spent working on it? I don't have any idea how they set up arrangements, but it seems silly that they would expect to not owe the first lawyers anything at all.

Seems like every issue listed here is caused by the purported victims in this article themselves.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not going to bash anyone. What I get from this is lawyers unending greed.
Yes, they are doing a service and should get paid. They are getting paid by their firm, the money the NFL set aside and retainer fees.
The "poaching" of other lawyers clients as they put it seems to be ruthless. The more clients you have, the more you get. I also would not be surprised of fees and/or percentages changing as they see fit.
Are the players families wanting their share also? Absolutely. They have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle. Medical fees? I'm sure there's some.
What this boils down to is greed to me. On both sides but one side is going to get more than the other.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ultimately it comes down to what was agreed upon at the time they hired the attorneys. If they agreed to 40% then it doesn't matter if they settles for $10 or 10billion... they agreed to 40%.. they say 120million set aside for attorney fees... well, good attorneys probably charge quite a bit of money and if this has been an issue since 2013 and there's probably hundreds of attorneys because there's a ton of current/ex football players then 120mil isn't going to go too far.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
-- at a rate of $985 an hour, for approximately $6,851,561.50 in fees..... The guy better be able to walk on water for that rate.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
-- at a rate of $985 an hour, for approximately $6,851,561.50 in fees..... The guy better be able to walk on water for that rate.

I'm sure he is skilled, but it doesn't really matter. There is no money back guarantee with attorneys.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Fees and % of settlement are two different things.

The players signed on so that the attorney gets 40% of the settlement PLUS their usual fees. So the attorneys could be getting better than 50-60% of the total settlement.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lets think about this for a minute,

adults want to bang the living shit out of themselves for monster dollars, week in and week out, year in and year out,
they absolutely LOVE doing what they do to make huge money,know fully well that all kinds of damage might occur,
and then

THEN!

they want to people to feel sorry for them, and take care of them forever.

$1,900.00 per hour seems much much more reasonable.

here's a thought , either start saving 2/3 of your pay check or go round up shopping carts for a living.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54668 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware the postcards you get telling you that you qualify to be part of a class action suit . Class action suit = you get $25 and the lawyer ends up owning a professional basketball team .

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
lets think about this for a minute,

adults want to bang the living shit out of themselves for monster dollars, week in and week out, year in and year out,
they absolutely LOVE doing what they do to make huge money,know fully well that all kinds of damage might occur,
and then

THEN!

they want to people to feel sorry for them, and take care of them forever.

$1,900.00 per hour seems much much more reasonable.

here's a thought , either start saving 2/3 of your pay check or go round up shopping carts for a living.

I agree 100% with this. I think there should be a judge that sits at the desk where law suits are submitted that rejects all the frivolous lawsuits... if I break into someone's house and their dog chews my arm off I shouldn't be able to sue them for their dog chewing my arm off, but unfortunately that's what law suits have become.

posted Hide Post
if football players get any money at all for playing a game that generates money

what the hell are we going to do for the five services that defend our country , so that the players can play and the owners can collect billions of dollars ?

or maybe freedom is in fact free now.
half of every footballs proceeds needs to go to the men and women that make this activity/entertainment possible

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54668 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post