SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Government Intrusion Regarding My Cat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Government Intrusion Regarding My Cat Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
This isn't Big Brother bullshit, this is about rabies.

Rabies isn't amusing.

Get your pets vaccinated against rabies according to your state and local regulations.

Even your only-indoor-never-go-out pets.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This isn't about rabies or vaccination; nobody here has suggested not vaccinating their pet, nor has anyone suggested that they follow such a policy.

It's about the government stepping in to quarantine an animal when the event occurred indoors, with an indoor, vaccinated animal.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They're afraid Fredward might go out and bite somebody.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Cat Scratch Fever is no joke! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

No shit. Look what it did to brother Ted! Big Grin

Seriously though, my oldest daughter got a case of the real deal, claws dug in on the back of her hand when she did a "belly rub" and got "grabbed". Her arm was swollen until her skin looked shiny from her fingers to her shoulder, and lymph glands to where she could not get her arm below 45* to her side. All her other lymph nodes were swollen and looked like she had mumps.

She was on several meds for about two weeks and it took a few weeks more before she was 100%

Pretty rough for a 9 year old. (and her parents...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
This isn't about rabies or vaccination; nobody here has suggested not vaccinating their pet, nor has anyone suggested that they follow such a policy.

It's about the government stepping in to quarantine an animal when the event occurred indoors, with an indoor, vaccinated animal.

Are you sure about that?

I don't see the specific information in the OP's post that the kitty was up to date on its rabies vaccination.

If it was, then .gov was overzealous.

In many or most places, there are laws/regulations requiring a physician to report animal bites to the public health department. Public health (by whatever name) is required to investigate the rabies vaccination status of the animal involved.

If it is up to date, it may be quarantined at home and released after a quarantine exam at the end of the ten days.

If the animal is not up to date, other actions are set in motion.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Are you sure about that?

I don't see the specific information in the OP's post that the kitty was up to date on its rabies vaccination.

If it was, then .gov was overzealous.

In many or most places, there are laws/regulations requiring a physician to report animal bites to the public health department. Public health (by whatever name) is required to investigate the rabies vaccination status of the animal involved.

If it is up to date, it may be quarantined at home and released after a quarantine exam at the end of the ten days.

If the animal is not up to date, other actions are set in motion.

Yeah, OP did not mention vaccinations, and as I read the post I also assumed the kitten had not had her shots yet.

Will be interested in hearing if that assumption holds. If animal control freaks out over a 6-month-old kitten that is up to date on the rabies vaccinations, they are indeed out of line.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course her shots are up to date and on file with the county. That’s why I’m pissed.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Don’t answer their calls. Don’t answer the door. Consider the matter settled and move on. There is literally nothing they can do. Nothing. They have no backbone and can’t do anything.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.floridatoday.com/s...ies-risk/2723576002/

Jim Waymer, Florida Today Published 11:01 a.m. ET Feb. 8, 2019 | Updated 11:18 a.m. ET Feb. 14, 2019

MELBOURNE — "Marcia Carlin kept "Termite" crated next to her desk at the Humane Society of South Brevard, where she's the manager. Her daughter had found the black kitten in the lot of the Dog Spot Hotel on Industry Drive, with a broken leg and a bite wound on its tail.
Termite was testy, so Carlin reached into the cage to pat his tummy. Termite bit her right thumb, drawing blood.
"I never would have thought rabies," Carlin said. "He didn't bite me out of meanness."
A day later, Termite began panting and chewing on his good leg. He had to be put down. Tests confirmed rabies. Termite was the fourth rabid stray cat reported in Brevard since July.
Over the last six months, from July to January, bites or scratches from the four rabid stray cats in Brevard resulted in 13 people requiring costly rabies shots to save their lives …

… When animal services captures an animal that bites or scratches someone, they quarantine it for 10 days. That's how long it typically takes rabies to kill the animal after the virus enters the brain, the only time the animal is infectious to humans. If the animal shows rabies symptoms or dies, the exposed person gets the shots. If 10 days pass and the animal is fine, they don't need the shots.

Health officials administered 85 post-rabies exposure treatments in Brevard last year, including 22 caused by cats, 33 by raccoons, and rest by dogs, bats and one monkey.

Statewide, possible rabies exposures have jumped from 475 in 2000 to more than 4,000 in 2018, according to state health data."

posted Hide Post
Final update: After standing me up twice, animal control finally came out, looked at he cat from across the room, looked at her shot record, and went away. With all the heartburn you would have thought it was about an unreported gunshot wound.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out.... and I'm glad I did what I did a couple years ago when I decided to see if a neighbors dog would really bite me... the dog was on a leash being held back.... what I did was let the wound bleed for 4 days.... did not call anyone or go to any facility.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn shame when seeking medical treatment results in such a hassle. If it happens again I'll likely lie like a rug.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This may be a thread drift, or not even belong in this thread, but...

There is a reported big problem in Northern Arizona of fleas carrying The Plague.

Would you have a problem with authorities coming and checking your real estate, and your pets, for fleas carrying THE PLAGUE ???

Pretty serious business, the plague. I don't want any part of relations with The Plague.

LINK

I don't know why but I'm not able to copy and paste the article here, sorry, you'll have to click and read.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But it's not the plague. It's my fully vaccinated, on file with the county indoor cat. Why bother to get the license if they're going to screw with you anyway? At any rate, it's over now.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
But it's not the plague. It's my fully vaccinated, on file with the county indoor cat. Why bother to get the license if they're going to screw with you anyway? At any rate, it's over now.

But, but, it's gubbermint! It is their job to screw with us!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Final update: After standing me up twice, animal control finally came out, looked at he cat from across the room, looked at her shot record, and went away. With all the heartburn you would have thought it was about an unreported gunshot wound.

Next time, have some fun with animal control. Don't feed the cat for three days. Two minutes before they arrive, cover the cat's face in whipped cream. One minute before they arrive, set off a brick of firecrackers. When you open the door, splash them with chicken grease. Stand back, and enjoy.

Worth it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting prank, but I actually LIKE my cat. I could do the same thing with my ex-wife, though. Hmm.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got my arm tore up by a hawk and all they did was laugh at me while patching me up.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post