SIGforum
I was attacked by an overly friendly Rottie:

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4680001054

November 26, 2018, 07:06 PM
Orguss
I was attacked by an overly friendly Rottie:
Delivered an oversized, heavy package to a house and their rottweiler was in the yard. I guess other delivery people give the dog treats cuz he was on me within seconds of me getting out of the truck, possibly expecting them from me. Jumping on me, licking my legs, trying to knock me down while I was navigating the stairs.

I kept yelling "Stop!" or "Down!" but the damned dog was in serious playtime mode. It's not fun getting tackled by a 100lb dog.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
November 26, 2018, 07:14 PM
RHINOWSO
Commonne, your a big tough guy!
November 26, 2018, 07:19 PM
GA Gator
For some reason I thought you were a teacher.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
November 26, 2018, 08:47 PM
wolfe 21
You guys don't carry dog biscuits? I think all the local delivery services do, maybe even the guy reading gas meters. Seems like a good insurance against those more unruly in nature.

A Perpetual Disappointment...
November 26, 2018, 09:21 PM
YooperSigs
My Ex GF had a Rott. It wanted to lay in my lap like a cat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 26, 2018, 09:34 PM
newtoSig765
A friend told me about a woman who was going through a rough divorce, and asked a Vet what kind of dog she could keep for protection. Vet advised a Great Dane, so she got one, already grown and house-trained.

Some time went by, she called the Vet complaining that the Dane just laid around, doing nothing other than being a real friendly pet which she didn't think would do her much good. Vet told her not to worry.

One evening her ex showed up, forced his way in and started beating her. The dog, asleep on the couch, heard the ruckus, leapt onto the guy, tore out part of his throat, then went back and laid down again, calm as can be.

The end.
Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
November 26, 2018, 11:08 PM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
You guys don't carry dog biscuits? I think all the local delivery services do, maybe even the guy reading gas meters. Seems like a good insurance against those more unruly in nature.

When dogs expect them, behavior such as I encountered becomes the norm. Delivery people shouldn’t be training dogs to expect treats.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
November 26, 2018, 11:56 PM
wolfe 21
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

When dogs expect them, behavior such as I encountered becomes the norm. Delivery people shouldn’t be training dogs to expect treats.

Fair enough I guess. Still, I'd rather meet a friendly dog who wants a treat than the aggressive one who wants to take a chunk out of my hide.

Or, maybe he thought you had a pretty mouth...

A Perpetual Disappointment...
November 27, 2018, 12:14 AM
MagicHorse
People should not be giving food or treats to other people's pets/animals unless they have permission to do so. 1 of our dogs has allergies & she can't have most dog "biscuits". However, we don't have her in the front yard where random people can give her stuff.

I personally can't stand dogs who jump on you. So I feel for you, but I have to agree that I'd prefer an overly friendly dog as to an aggressive dog.
November 27, 2018, 05:15 AM
PHPaul
quote:
It's not fun getting tackled by a 100lb dog.

Yeah, I hate that... Big Grin

Seriously tho, I get what you're saying. Ill-mannered dogs are a pain. Really BIG ill-mannered dogs can be inadvertently dangerous.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
November 27, 2018, 07:58 AM
henryaz
quote:
Delivered an oversized, heavy package to a house and their rottweiler was in the yard. I guess other delivery people give the dog treats cuz he was on me within seconds of me getting out of the truck, possibly expecting them from me. Jumping on me, licking my legs, trying to knock me down while I was navigating the stairs.

I kept yelling "Stop!" or "Down!" but the damned dog was in serious playtime mode. It's not fun getting tackled by a 100lb dog.

Doesn't the USPS permit you to refuse going into any yard where a dog is present?

When in doubt, mumble
November 27, 2018, 08:06 AM
Orguss
I've been to the house before, but it's been a long, long time since that last visit. The dog was always there and I knew it wasn't a safety threat, but when I came onto the property in previous visits the owners were there to keep the dog at bay. This time, it was just me and the dog.

As far as refusing to enter a yard where dogs are present, I have that discretion. But I knew this dog wasn't dangerous. I just didn't expect to get killed with kindness.

The only dogs I truly worry about are chihuahuas. I've been bitten multiple times and have to worry about running them over because they rush the vehicle to defend the homeland.

November 27, 2018, 08:12 AM
rsbolo
Growing up we had a Rotty that was "my mom's". That dog weighed 120# and was a sweet, goofy girl. We had a game where my brother and I would "pretend" to "get" my mom...That sweet, goofy dog would not have it.

She would grab us by an arm or leg and <squeeze> not bite, until we stopped. Then she'd growl at us to show her disapproval.

Heaven would have to help anyone who wished harm to my mom around that dog.

November 27, 2018, 08:57 AM
hvyhawler
For them little dogs, would snake boots help? lol
November 27, 2018, 09:51 AM
a1abdj
I'm in homes with dogs several times a week installing safes. Don't laugh:

90% of dogs see these on my hands and don't know what to think. I don't know if it's the smell, the colors, or something else entirely. 90% of them want to keep their distance when they see them. Then once I can convince them to get near me, I'll pet them with them and they're my best friend after that. The latex rubber feels better to them than bare hands when getting rubbed.

For me it's a win all the way around. I get to protect my hands while working, keep (most) critters at bay until I'm ready to meet them, and then make friends when I'm no longer worried about tripping or dropping anything.

www.zykansafe.com
November 27, 2018, 10:47 AM
BigSwede
My Rot is cool, unless you are from South America or have a hat on. I have no explanation.

November 27, 2018, 11:42 AM
az4783054
Our 100# Rottie male loves 'Brown'. He sits by the front door when he hears the truck pull up. We know that Rick pays for cookies out of pocket so when the dog alerts we get out the low fat cookies for Rick to give him.

I agree that a delivery driver should ask if it's ok to provide a treat. Our dog is diabetic so some cookies are not good for him.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
November 27, 2018, 12:07 PM
stkfox
My male Rottie would stand on hind legs up on the fence and bark at the lawn guy next door.
One day I observe the lawn guy shut off the mower, walk over to Big Ben, and give him a pat on the head.
Benny's little tail nub wagged ferociously!

I mentioned to the guy that I'd appreciate it if he didn't let a criminal see him do that!

November 27, 2018, 03:13 PM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
A friend told me about a woman who was going through a rough divorce, and asked a Vet what kind of dog she could keep for protection. Vet advised a Great Dane, so she got one, already grown and house-trained.

Some time went by, she called the Vet complaining that the Dane just laid around, doing nothing other than being a real friendly pet which she didn't think would do her much good. Vet told her not to worry.

One evening her ex showed up, forced his way in and started beating her. The dog, asleep on the couch, heard the ruckus, leapt onto the guy, tore out part of his throat, then went back and laid down again, calm as can be.

The end.
Cool

That's one of the advice I remember reading from Ayoob's book. On the plus side, when you get hauled into court, the jury thinks Scooby Do.

But they were bred to knock down men in armor.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
November 27, 2018, 04:35 PM
SevenPlusOne
There was a Rot/Shepard pup that was aggressively friendly on my old route. He learned real quick to leave me alone, someone else did that street and he tore the guys uniforms to shreds.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"