SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I went to a crappy dentist a few years back
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I went to a crappy dentist a few years back Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
He did some work on a back molar that went bad and I ended up having to get a root canal. That procedure wasn't bad at all. I just laid back, listened to some Pink Floyd, and generally enjoyed the experience.

About a year after the root canal, I was in Israel on my first day of a 14 day trip. We were in Nazareth and I stopped into a little bakery and got a pistachio baclava. Basically about a pound of pistachio flavored sugar, but oh so good. Big Grin My second bite had a shell in it and I broke that tooth off. I knew immediately and though, "Great. I'm in a foreign country, ten thousand miles from home, and needing emergency care." And then I thought, "Holy fuck this is going to hurt." Both of those thoughts ran through my mind in about 0.05 seconds.

I was pleasantly surprised that there was no pain whatsoever, and went upon my way for the remainder of my trip and the past few years. I've been pain free and having no issues since then, although knowing, at some point, I'd have to have this molar removed or otherwise dealt with.

Two weeks ago or so, it started hurting and I went to a different dentist as I wasn't impressed with the first, although his wife is smoking hot and having her poke around in my mouth is generally a pleasant experience. XR determined that it had fractured and needed to come out.

Tuesday I go in for the procedure. Now, I remember having my wisdom teeth out around 15-20 years ago and it was no big deal. Did it in the afternoon under local and went to work that night. This, however, is kicking my ass. Two days later and I feel like I went a few rounds with George Foreman. Concerned that I might have an infection going on (a big concern for me with a prosthetic joint) I've started taking Augmentin (if you ever have the opportunity to take this antibiotic, ask the doc for something else....it is fargin' horrible).

So, here I sit, left side of my head pounding, downing whiskey like prohibition is right around the corner, and hoping this improves. Whodathunk getting a tooth yanked out would be so troublesome?

How in the hell did they do this in the old days without any local? Them were some tough sonsabitches is all I can say. Big Grin

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a dentist but am a Dental Monitor{remember commercial}. Get some yogurt with Augmentin ASAP. May have a dry socket. Google it. Call the dentist and say you need emergency appointment. If that is the problem takes just a few seconds to fix. Hope this helps. I know it hurts.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What, no pictures of the "help"? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not a dentist but am a Dental Monitor{remember commercial}.

Dave, that's the worst cavity I've ever seen. Big Grin

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gustofer...I've got nothing but best wishes.

Get well Brother.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Get well soon
quote:
I've started taking Augmentin (if you ever have the opportunity to take this antibiotic, ask the doc for something else....it is fargin' horrible).
IME, it is explosive as colonoscopy prep

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How in the hell did they do this in the old days without any local? Them were some tough sonsabitches is all I can say. Big Grin

Didn't they just have an old strap of leather to bite down on? Do you have a good gun belt that will work? Razz

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Didn't they just have an old strap of leather to bite down on? Do you have a good gun belt that will work? Razz

It's really difficult to have dental work done while biting on a leather strap.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Just had 2 teeth taken out by an oral surgeon (1 had to be cut out) Wed. morning. I had the option of being awake or asleep, I chose asleep. My mouth and jaw hurt Wed. afternoon and into the night. Started feeling better yesterday but jaw still hurts some but only when pressure is applied or when eating.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Local was called whiskey, or even shine.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious if Gustofer is better after the online visit with the Dental Monitor??

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Improving...slowly....

posted Hide Post
Good to hear.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How to do it:
  • Sit in dentist's chair.

• When dentist stands next to you and says "Open wide," reach over and gently hold his testicles and say, "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, are we?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was the nature of the original work that caused you to give up on the original dentist and his smokin hot wife? Deep fillings can lead to RCT even if done perfectly.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
What was the nature of the original work that caused you to give up on the original dentist and his smokin hot wife? Deep fillings can lead to RCT even if done perfectly.

Yeah, no I get that (my thread title notwithstanding), and I don't want to disparage the guy (and certainly not his wife Wink ) too much, but I just wasn't happy with the work. He's a nice enough fella but I just felt "off" about the whole experience...if that makes sense.

I've spoken with several people I know in town who've come away with the same impression, so I know it's not just me.

Choosing a provider is a personal thing. I think that you need to be comfortable with them. I've had people mention to me that they'd rather have me do their anesthesia than my partner who is as good or better than I am, and he's had them say the same. At first it really bothered me, but now I get it.

Glad you popped in actually MNSIG. Having not gone through this before (other than my pleasant experience with my wisdom teeth), is it unusual to feel like I got my ass kicked a couple days out? I have no fever and no nodes, so infection likely isn't the issue (I got on that right away). But I can still feel the block area. It's strange really, as it's not a paresthesia per se, but that V2 and V3 area of the trigeminal nerve is definitely noticeable. I assume that it's just inflammation from the trauma and will wear off, but after several days I'm starting to get a little concerned. Should I be doing something else?

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Since you're pretty confident about it not being infected, I'd say nerve trauma is next most likely. As you know, the roots of the mandibular molars are in close proximity to the inferior alveolar nerve. It's not unusual for there to be some minor injury. It's definitely a good sign that you don't have lip or tongue paresthesia.

Beyond trauma at the extraction site, you may also be experiencing the effects from the injection site. Either direct contact from the needle to the IAN or a bit of hydraulic dissection from injection of multiple carpules can leave you pretty dang sore.

Finally, don't ignore the fact that everything is just a bit tougher in our 50s than our 20s.

Keep an eye out for signs/symptoms of osteitis (dry socket), but it sounds like things are already headed in the right direction.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow, you'll feel much better. Or so I've heard... Big Grin

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^

Since you're pretty confident about it not being infected, I'd say nerve trauma is next most likely. As you know, the roots of the mandibular molars are in close proximity to the inferior alveolar nerve. It's not unusual for there to be some minor injury. It's definitely a good sign that you don't have lip or tongue paresthesia.

Beyond trauma at the extraction site, you may also be experiencing the effects from the injection site. Either direct contact from the needle to the IAN or a bit of hydraulic dissection from injection of multiple carpules can leave you pretty dang sore.

Finally, don't ignore the fact that everything is just a bit tougher in our 50s than our 20s.

Keep an eye out for signs/symptoms of osteitis (dry socket), but it sounds like things are already headed in the right direction.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

And you ain't kidding about the 50s vs. 20s thing. I used to be tough as nails. Anymore? Hmmm...

Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
I went in for a painful tooth, scheduled a crown (two weeks before my schedule would let me get back in) to find I need an extraction, a bone graft and a permanent implant, all to the tune of >$3500 and over a period on about 8 months???? Holy you know what! I've been on Augmentin for 7 days now and a daily bowl of the yogurt of your choice will help quite a bit. Get better soon!
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post