SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There is a tapping noise every 4 seconds in the attic directly above our bed!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There is a tapping noise every 4 seconds in the attic directly above our bed!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Your attic is the entry point for dimension-shifting aliens! No question about it.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My guess as someone else said is structural and the temperature change at night is triggering it. Roofing nail or sheathing is shrinking as it cools.

Might be time to call in a roofer.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Do you have a motion detector in the room or any other alarm system components?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Your attic is the entry point for dimension-shifting aliens! No question about it.

This is what I have come to conclude!

quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
Do you have a motion detector in the room or any other alarm system components?

Nope. All my security and motion sensors are camera based and on the exterior of the house. Except for the camera on my safe which is not near the bedroom.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Watch about 2/3 of Insidious, pause it, then head on up to the attic to check it out.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I heard odd noises in my attic, I would take my giant, economy sized (21 pounds) tomcat named... Bob and toss him up there. Whatever was in the attic did not care to share it with Bob. A great deal of thumping and crashing would take place and a little while later, Bob would appear at the access hatch, covered in cobwebs and looking victorious.
Problem solved.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it could be something expanding or contracting with the change of temperature. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
One way to tell if it's animal or not is put up a wifi/bluetooth speaker up there, and wait till the sound is being made and then send a signal to the speaker.

If the sound from the speaker affects the noise...it's critters.

If the noise keeps steadily on, unaffected by the sudden sound from the speaker....it's mechanical.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I didn't think of this right off; hat-tip to my daughter for thinking of it.

A fairly regular tapping sound could be a *drip*.
Could it be a roof leak?
Is the AC in the attic?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be moisture dripping into the gutters? I have one outside my room I can hear, sounds like what you are describing.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept hearing noises above my bedroom and had my pest control guy come take a look. He said he really didn't see any rat/mouse/whatever activity but he put out some bait.

Well several weeks later the noise was still going on and it sounded like a large animal to me so I took one of my wifi security cameras from outside and mounted it in my attic pointed in the general direction of where I kept hearing the noise. I was determined to see what was up there.

Well one night the security alarm on my cell went off for that camera and lo and behold it was a rat. I captured several videos of the rat, where it was going, etc and called my pest guy back and showed him the videos. He put the bait by the "trail" the rat used and the place where I saw the rat go under the insulation. Within the week...NO MORE NOISE or sightings. I found the outside hole where that rat got in and sealed it up. I had a new A/C compressor installed and the guys did not seal up the hole where the wiring went from the unit into the wall and up into the attic. I figured it had to be a new hole because I had NEVER had rats before.

So maybe you can put one of your security cameras in your attic covering the area where you think the noise is coming from? My camera has both motion and audio sensors and if yours did maybe it would pick up something? Of course as others have mentioned, it could be coming from some other area and just "sounds" like it's above you in the ceiling??? Sounds can certainly play tricks on you.

I love mysteries like this and if I lived close to you I'd have to run over there and check it out myself. I'll be thinking about this until you post that you figured it out Big Grin

Posts: 991 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Candyman ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Candyman ...

But does he have one eye or two?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Time to go into your attic. We'll send prayers you come back.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But does he have one eye or two?[/QUOTE]

Great Post! I just had to laugh as soon as I read it. I bet that is lost on a whole bunch of readers

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when you get in the attic and find the tapmatic, take pictures for the thread!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I can't believe I didn't think of this right off; hat-tip to my daughter for thinking of it.

A fairly regular tapping sound could be a *drip*.
Could it be a roof leak?
Is the AC in the attic?

Yes. I'm scrolling through this post amazed it took three pages for someone to say this.

A consistent tapping that continues for several minutes at the exact same consistency is almost certainly a drip once a fan has been ruled out.

If the tapping gets slower it's thermal expansion and contraction or gas.

If it's inconsistent it's critters.

If it's one or two loud pops it's usually framing.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had a ceiling fan go wonky on us after a few months of normalcy. It would tick, I had the blades balanced, tried gently pushing it to get it to settle...eventually had the builder send the installer over....he heard the noise..you couldn’t hear it during the day unless it was absolutely quiet...but at night it would keep Mrs Mike from sleeping...

He brought a replacement, I helped him hang it. He called me back a week later and he dissected it in the shop....there was a flap of winding paper loose that just would hit the housing as it rotated...

Last year a new noise was discovered as we were locked down and Mrs Mike was in the office....some kinda buzzing noise in the ceiling. When I crawled into the attic I found mud daubers building a home...you could hear them making noise...I found where they were getting by watching from outside and I spray foamed he opening in the roof where it joined a small preschool of siding...then I went to the attic and hosed the whole nest with BifenIT....noise stopped within a few minutes.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Clearly a ghost. Call a priest.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see a solution. So what's the status??? Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post