SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dish network installation squirrell
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dish network installation squirrell Login/Join 
posted
I decided to upgrade the service. Tech arrived. Wanted to nail new antenna directly to my metal roof. Told him no, why don't you just switch out the unit already on the chimney? They are only allowed to mount on section they can reach from the top of the ladder. They are not allowed on roofs. Wanted to mount on fascia. Same problem. Penetration of fascia will lead to future rot. Called Dish. They were polite but you're outta luck.

Installation contract actually has a clause absolving them of responsibility if their installation damages your house. So when the screw holes begin to leak and water leaks rot out your roof decking, you have no recourse. Sneaky bastards. Sure wish we had cable here.

Whatever you do, don"t let a dish or direct TV Tech do this to your house. Oh well, I decided I don"t need the upgrade.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have DirecTV and they basically gave me the same deal, blah blah blah. I was like you. I had just installed a new roof and I was like no way I'm punching holes through it for tv. So we mounted it to a post/lattice deal that the guy was bitchy about too. Wasn't sturdy enough, blah blah. After two years of shoveling that dish I determined I'll never need one again. Lol

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought there was a ground mount option for extra money of course. My last house had a ground mount on the side of the house. I did not install the dish so not really sure...

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Dish with a ground mount. They put steel conduit in the ground and mounted the dish to it. No way would I allow them to mount it to my roof.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Got direct tv on a ground mount...easy to reach, solid, have never had any problems with it. Would never let them mount anything on the roof, either, especially now, we just got a new metal roof last spring.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I have Dish with a ground mount. They put steel conduit in the ground and mounted the dish to it. No way would I allow them to mount it to my roof.

This is how mine is mounted. Roof mounting was out of the question for me as well.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a Dish roof mount, was here when I bought the house. Last tech out here told me they can't service it anymore, I'll need another mount if the dish goes bad. Best part is that I have to remove the old dish!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dish put their antenna on roof of my house. 1st storm, it blew over. Blah, blah, blah.. tech did this, tech did not do that, not techs fault...
Fortunately for me, my wife worked nights so therefor was home for the install; and purchased the $6/mo. insurance. I would not have spent money on this. Once she told them we had their insurance, they sent repair company to fix roof, and re-install new dish, this time using lag bolts that went into....the rafters. Ta-da.

We moved, got u-verse in new house. No problems.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I'm dish-ignorant, so forgive this if it sounds stupid.
Could the dish be mounted in the attic? That's where I put my broadcast TV antennae.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
I'm dish-ignorant, so forgive this if it sounds stupid.
Could the dish be mounted in the attic? That's where I put my broadcast TV antennae.

No. It needs a clear line-of-sight to the satellite, so that's why it's always mounted up high on a roof normally.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A satellite dish has to have a clear view of the satellite, AFAIK. The tech bolted ours to a big concrete paver block and set it on a low pitch part of our roof. It worked fine for years until we got sick of spending $$$ on the tripe that is on television.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A satellite dish has to have a clear view of the satellite, AFAIK. The tech bolted ours to a big concrete paver block and set it on a low pitch part of our roof. It worked fine for years until we got sick of spending $$$ on the tripe that is on television.

That's why we went to broadcast TV. I built my own out of extra wood, wire and spent $3.99 for a baum adaptor. Live 50 miles from anything; get 54 channels.
Apologies for the hi-jack.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post