SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USAA...incompetent...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA...incompetent... Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Holy shit.

I've been a member of USAA for several years. Auto/home/scheduled additions.

I got rear-ended in October. The other person's insurance, AAA, accepted responsibility. I filed through USAA because I'm a believer in using my insurance carrier to deal with the other knucklehead's insurance carrier. This is one reason I pay them every 6 months...to handle insurance claims.

The few prior times I've made insurance claims (animal strikes), I've had my vehicle inspected at my home or work. So I selected that option on their website when I filed the claim. I get a confirmation for the appointment. Then a day or two later I get a cancellation. Called them and was told they don't do on-site inspections unless the vehicle is not driveable.

Ok. News to me, and shouldn't be an option if you won't do it, but Ok. So I schedule an inspection at one of their approved body shops, with no requirement to use the shop for the repair. Shop was close to the house, watched the inspection and was not impressed with the attitude of the people I spoke with in the shop. So I took the quote to a body shop that was recommended to me by a co-worker and was close by my work. Told USAA over the phone, was told it would be no problem. Even made a point to ask them to note the new body shop in the file.

First check for repair gets sent to the body shop at my request. Never shows up. I check online a few days later and see that they sent it to the original body shop. I call them and tell them they need to cancel that payment and send it to the right one, gave them the body shop's information again and they confirmed it. Not trusting them at this point, I told them to just send it to me. Same day I sent a message through their website giving them the correct body shop's information, out of an overabundance of caution, because I knew they would have to send a supplement check.

New body shop sends the supplement quote a day or two later. Very little change, less than $500. Waits and waits, never hears back until I have to make multiple phone calls to follow up. USAA finally approves it, and then complains that the shop is taking longer than the 4 days of the original quote.

Then the fucking dimwits send the SECOND payment to the wrong shop.

I have to call them and get the check sent to me again. Finally get the Jeep back and settled up with the body shop. The owner had been working with USAA for 20+ years and was bewildered.

That's just the beginning...

I had three visits with a doctor and filed them through USAA under my medical claim insurance for the accident. The first two are accepted and processed, with specific instructions in writing to electronically deposit, with banking information attached. But after 35 days they had not been paid. I called and was told they were approved but they forgot to issue payment, and it would be pushed through immediately. I wait and wait and it never shows up in my account. A few days later I get two paper checks in the mail, despite the request for the electronic deposit.

January 3rd I submit the third Dr. bill. Same format as the prior two, same doctor, very similar procedure (5 shots in my back instead of the 8 the last time). Submission confirmed through their website. Today I receive a letter denying the claim, saying it was a duplicate.

I call USAA, frustrated but polite, and ask about the denial. The representative tells me that it was a duplicate. I tell him I submitted the itemized bill from the January 3rd treatment on January 3rd, and assured him it was not a duplicate of an earlier bill. When I asked him to look it up he did and replied that it had been reviewed by three auditors at the same time, creating three records, and they cancelled each other out as it appeared in the auditor's system to be a duplicate bill. He said this happens all the time because the auditors can't tell someone else is reviewing the claim. How that makes sense is a mystery to me, but that's what he told me. He said he would override it and would issue a payment ASAP. I did't even bother asking him if it would be an electronic deposit or a check.

So I went back into USAA and left a negative review where they ask "How are we doing". I detail the above. I get a quick reply from my claims representative (who I have only been able to speak to once, the week of the wreck, despite making several attempts) saying that the payment her colleague issued was a courtesy only, and that he should not have issued it because the claim required supporting medical documentation.

I've replied saying that at no point have I been asked for additional supporting medical documentation, and that the letter I received said it was denied because it was a duplicate, and that her colleague confirmed that was the issue. Furthermore it was continued treatment from the same doctor that had done the prior two treatments that they had already approved and paid, and it included detailed medical notes from the doctor. What more was needed for future visits with this doctor?

I would expect this type of push-back or delay from the other party's insurance. But to receive this much bullshit from MY OWN insurance company?

Am I wrong for being pissed off?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not.

Me? I'd have fired off an "ass-burner" to members of the USAA board along with a comment that the USAA of 25+ years ago bears no resemblance to what it is now which is a travesty born of expansion greed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Newest reply...I have two denial letters for the same claim. First one dated 1/10 calling it a duplicate claim.

The guy I spoke with today said there were three simutaneous reviews of the claim and it was denied because one of the auditors thought it was already processed and had been re-submitted.

My representative send me a copy of another denial I haven't received yet, dated 1/14, saying it was denied because they need further documentation to support the claim.

I asked her to clarify, and if I should expect a third denial next week.

Thus far she has not apologized for the ongoing confusion, or given any indication that she has looked any deeper into the current issue. The guy on the phone earlier realized the issue immediately. Evidently it is escaping her.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the party. I'm absolutely furious with USAA as well. My truck was hit by a hit and run driver and it's been a nightmare. USAA does not have a presence in Alaska so they hired a third party to write the estimate. First they took 3 days to arrange for a tow. Second, they lost my truck for 3 weeks. I literally had to call and tell them where it was.

Throughout the whole process I repeatedly stated my concerns that my policy was limited to 30 days of reimbursement on the rental car. I was repeatedly assured that the rental would be covered until the repairs on my truck were complete.

Guess what? USAA is refusing to pay for anything on the rental car after 30 days. I was told by a supervisor, "It's unfortunate but things happen." He had no answer for when I asked, "Aren't, "Things" why I pay you people money?"

So after being a customer for 23 years, I'm shopping for a new insurance carrier.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Everyone talks about how great USAA is, but IMO they USED TO be great. They are a bumbling shit show these days.

And their Insurance Salesmen make Used Car Salesmen sound legit. Complete slimballs.

Fuck them. Dropped them 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

They got too big for their britches, IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ll be shopping around. Auto renewal is March. Last year I checked with a broker and our rate with USAA was better by far though.

Oh, and she finally looked it all up and apologized. My description above was accurate. Three concurrent reviews that canceled each other out.

Still not sure if future bills will require extra documentation though.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
My experience with USAA is still excellent. Sorry your have sucked so much a$$.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m currently involved two claims with USAA, no problems at all. Been very happy with communication and coordination between them and the shop.

Also had another claim a couple months (rodent damage) ago that went fine with a single issues (hours estimated at body work rate instead of mechanical rate). Once the problem was identified, it was resolved pretty quickly.

I had a concern about how long my rental car was going to be covered after seeing a problem in another thread when one went over 30 days. I called to ask about it because my repair is going over 30 days - was told no problem because my state doesn’t limit coverage.

Turns out a lot of variations in state laws regarding insurance drive different coverages/processes in insurance. I wonder if this has anything to with the widely varying differences in experience with USAA from folks in different areas.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've had one issue with them in 20 years. 4 day accident repair turned into a month, part on order. They refused to pay for the additional 26 days I was in a rental. I will drive a car without a bumper cover, but not the reinforcement under it. They ended up covering the whole rental.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They have consistently had the best rates for me, and while I've only had one claim (homeowner's), it went off without a hitch and I had a check in hand in no time flat.

In my experience, even if the rates were higher, I'd still stick with them.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The payment they issued yesterday was for a $200 Dr.'s bill. Same service, same Dr., as the prior bill that was paid no-problemo (well, once I called back and asked them why they hadn't paid me). I'm still well below my max for reimbursement.

I just got their message saying payment was sent.

For $100. Roll Eyes

They are consistent. I'll certainly give them that.

Every. Single. Step...they have screwed up. And this was not a complicated claim. It's unbelievable.

-JALLEN

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I did my 1st claim with USAA last Summer, over 30 years with them. The wife scraped a pole in a parking lot, fairly new Honda CR-V.

I used one of the somewhat local preferred body shops, handled as well as could be expected.

Yeah, chit happens. I’m mostly neutral with USAA, but haven’t had any problems with them.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had them for 22 years. Several homeowner and auto claims without any real issues. I have heard similar stories about their service declining in the last few years but have yet to experience it for myself. My only complaint is sky high premiums, but that's simply a result of living in Oklahoma and having 2 teenage drivers who like to run into stationary objects.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I would not complain about a little hiccup, or the payment being sent to the wrong place once and corrected. With this claim they have screwed up on every single interaction. So far I have three different results from that last bill. Two in mail and one probably in transit.

Three auditors evaluated the bill at the same time. My injury claim person admitted this was a mistake, and didn't know why it happened. She said either it got faxed over three times, or scanned in three times.

First one I received was dated the 10th, said claim was denied due to it being a duplicate.

Second one I received was dated the 14th, said it was denied because they needed further documentation.

Third one (dated yesterday, 1/18) I received via message from them (same form that I'll get a copy of Monday or Tuesday in the mail) and it was approved for a partial payment because "This procedure is included in the Global Period of Surgery allowance which includes pre and post operative services"

I never had surgery, never consulted for surgery, etc. Can't get a full explanation.

And, of course, no one is able to tell me specifically what needs to be done other than "Re-submit with correct billing codes".

Even their auditors make zero sense and don't agree.

-JALLEN

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I understand the frustration. I'm finding that many/most of the front line people at insurance and other organizations are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They are not paid all that well and the good ones move up the ranks quickly.

I'm saying this because you will probably have a similar experience if switch insurance carriers.

The exception might be buying insurance through an agent. In that case, someone that knows you will be interfacing with the knuckleheads. But there will still be back and forth as your agent needs to get info from you.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I would not complain about a little hiccup, or the payment being sent to the wrong place once and corrected. With this claim they have screwed up on every single interaction. So far I have three different results from that last bill. Two in mail and one probably in transit.

Three auditors evaluated the bill at the same time. My injury claim person admitted this was a mistake, and didn't know why it happened. She said either it got faxed over three times, or scanned in three times.

First one I received was dated the 10th, said claim was denied due to it being a duplicate.

Second one I received was dated the 14th, said it was denied because they needed further documentation.

Third one (dated yesterday, 1/18) I received via message from them (same form that I'll get a copy of Monday or Tuesday in the mail) and it was approved for a partial payment because "This procedure is included in the Global Period of Surgery allowance which includes pre and post operative services"

I never had surgery, never consulted for surgery, etc. Can't get a full explanation.

And, of course, no one is able to tell me specifically what needs to be done other than "Re-submit with correct billing codes".

Even their auditors make zero sense and don't agree.

I tend to get impatient with incompetence, and incompetents. I usually try once and if I get a "problem" I escalate to their immediate management. If that does not work, my next escalation is to corporate HQ. Had to do that 3 times over the years, and got the problems promptly resolved.

Shortly before we rotated back to the states and my discharge, I had a fender-bender in which an idiot 2 1/2 driver signaled a left turn into the Kaserne gate, then turned right, in front of me to take a road to the right.

German police got there, basically told the MPs that it was the 2 1/2 driver's fault, he signaled for a left turn, turned right. Signal was still working when the Polizei got there.

We rotated shortly after that, with a repair bill of about $300 paid out of my pocket, but with claim submitted to the army. Asshole 2Lt. decided that he knew better than the German police and awarded half the blame to me, thus half the damages.

I decided I had had enough of asshole 2Lts, and forwarded the paperwork to the pentagon. Told them if they didn't fix it, my next letter was to the SECDEF. Had my check 3 days later.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I had always heard great things about USAA, and so I was delighted to learn I was eligible for coverage through my father-in-law's vet status.

I contacted them last Fall for auto, homeowners and umbrella.

The best auto quote I had was $557 (for 2 cars). USAA was $647.

The best homeowners quote I had was $742. USAA was $2,116!! Eek

I told their rep not to even bother with the umbrella quote.

Next time I'm shopping for insurance, I probably won't even bother asking USAA for a quote.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Call the doctors office. There are five digit CPT codes that describe everything a physician does. It is a possible keystroke error or the wrong code was used. It should be a simple fix. These sorts of issues drive the increasing cost of providing medical services.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Newest updated...claim was partially denied because I'd hit the surgical limit...for the surgery that doesn't exist. I asked (politely) for the limit reference in my policy, as it was capped but there weren't specific limits.

Response? No specific limits. Just the total cap (which I'm not even halfway to).

So the claim was partially denied for a limit that doesn't exist, for a procedure that never happened.

WTF.

-JALLEN

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider calling your State insurance commissioner to file a complaint, to get their attention.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post