SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subcontractors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subcontractors Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
More specifically unreliable subcontractors.

I've got a plumber who was supposed to meet me at the house last Wednesday at 1400 to finish running the water to the new shop (job is half done). No show, no call. Other than being unprofessional, it wasn't a huge deal as there really was no big hurry to get the job done other than the fact that I have a huge five foot deep ditch running from the house that needs to get filled back in before it all freezes. I call him first thing Monday morning and he tells me he can't get out until Wednesday as a few other jobs "came up". Really? They "came up" after you had started (and didn't finish) my job and you put me on the back burner, why? Now, we've got below zero temps coming at the end of the week and I'm left hoping the jerk actually shows Wednesday and doesn't put it off again.

Then, the concrete guy was supposed to show up this morning to do the final leveling and put in the rebar for my floor so they could pour tomorrow. I get a call this morning saying that since it is snowing, they are having a hard time with the other job they are on and won't be able to get to me today. Mind you, the job they are on is an outdoor job and mine is indoors. So...why not put off the other job until it stops snowing, do mine today indoors out of the weather, and pour tomorrow as planned? No, that wouldn't make any sense.

Mad

I just want this damn thing done and I'm tired of trying to plan around unreliable people.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It’s the same everywhere.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a lady yesterday who had contracted for hardwood refinishing 3 months ago. 5 weeks ago the dude gave her the go ahead to prep for start in a few days, she ripped out the counters, cabinets, etc. in her kitchen.

Floor guy shows up two weeks later after many calls, works for an hour and leaves. A week+ later he shows up again on a Saturday after she keeps calling. Sands floor for 2 hours, declares himself out of sandpaper and leaves again, no return calls or work since....

And my wife wonders why I refuse to ever embark on building a new home....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife (who's ex was a contractor) has learned a few tricks.

Next time you do a contract provide a finish late deduction into the contract. About 5 to 10 percent per week (non-prorated) - weather related delays should not be held against them and so indicated into the contract.

If they balk at the stipulation, you know their ethic. Wink

Every time my wife's ex balked at the stipulation, he lost the job. It was well known around the small town he couldn't finish on time.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes very frustrating

There is lots of work out there and not a lot of extra skilled help

Some contractors will over book so they don't have any down time

Your plumber heard the words no big hurry and took it to heart

The concrete guy at least made the call to tell you the situation

The only way to guarantee any loyality or performance is to get some type of performance written in to the contract, references are also important along with not necessarily taking the low bid

Good Luck with your project, hopefully this gives some others who read this post, some ideas for their own project

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
The only way to guarantee any loyality or performance is to get some type of performance written in to the contract...

Performance based contract/stipulation, that's what it's called.

And I work with these all week long. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Please refrain from putting profanity in your thread titles

That’s funny!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post