New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
If you’re reading this, you’re probably online.

If you’re reading this on your phone while waiting at the DMV, pharmacy, ticket window, etc., you’re online while in line.

You don’t stand on line.

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure "on line" is an acceptable alternative to "in line", it's just not used nearly as much, and as such gets weird looks when someone uses it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I always thought that "in line" was the alternative for "on line"--not that I've ever used the term. I've just always said "in line." Apparently, "on line" is a regional thing to New York and for those in the military?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Never heard of "on line" used in any context other than to mean "being connected," "turned on/activated," or "on duty". And offline to mean the opposite of those.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Pretty sure "on line" is an acceptable alternative to "in line", it's just not used nearly as much, and as such gets weird looks when someone uses it.

Correct.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I thought that “on line” is more of a U.K. expression. Americans seem to prefer “in line.”

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Q: What's the term for a group of Brits standing in line for Vietnamese soup?

A: Pho queue

(It's bedtime: Nite-all. Razz)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to draw a red line on this thread!

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Only Nhew Yawkhers say "stand on line."

The rest of us speak English.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
In line is to queue up.

On line is to be abreast of each other.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Only Nhew Yawkhers say "stand on line."

The rest of us speak English.

Yep

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
In line is to queue up.

On line is to be abreast of each other.

Now that makes sense to me - the line in the latter case being what one is on rather than what one is forming.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
maybe they did it "on" accident.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post