SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Traffic enforcement on private road UPDATE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic enforcement on private road UPDATE Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: I made an official request for marking the curbs NO PARKING or posting a sign. The Board will consider it at their next meeting. I've emailed a strong case as a safety and liability issue. I also found out who one of the soccer Moms is and requested a warning letter. Second offense is a small fine.

Met the Chief of Police at a Community Relations Department roll out of a new program for citizens and cops to get acquainted. Haven't written a rebuttal to the report yet. Not 100% sure if I will be doing it. Leaning that way, especially if the soccer Mom is fined.
This message has been edited. Last edited by: Redford1970, Mar 7, 10:19 PM

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Regarding your update:

The board in question being your condo association board?

If they approved, would the town/PD enforce the no parking on private property? If the people who park their continue, and aren't condo residents, is there way to enforce this against them?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Regarding your update:
If they approved, would the town/PD enforce the no parking on private property? If the people who park their continue, and aren't condo residents, is there way to enforce this against them?

Police won't enforce parking n private property.
It the people parking in "No Parking" are not residents they would be trespassing.

Had one neighbor hood get mad about cut throughs. They hired a guy in uniform to stop cars and "advise them" that it was private property. id imagine this could escalate into photos, posting that the person was trespassed, then calling the police.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Regarding your update:

The board in question being your condo association board?

Yes, our condo Board and they will send warning letters and issue fines at second offense, but with 168 households they want a documented complaint (photo) with an address. License plates are not stored in any database we have. PD will not enforce on private property.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the PD even cut a report on it. I would clear this as unfounded and put about two sentences in the call and move on.

Either way, I personally wouldn't worry about this "police report".

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So, really, the only enforcement will be against condo residents who part there. They only way to enforce against outsiders would be if you could get local LE to trespass them. Would they? And is the board/management going to consider this whole endeavor more trouble than it's worth?

quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
Yes, our condo Board and they will send warning letters and issue fines at second offense, but with 168 households they want a documented complaint (photo) with an address. License plates are not stored in any database we have. PD will not enforce on private property.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem at the boat launch inside a park. There are only about 15 double length spaces for cars WITH boat trailers are clearly marked "parking for trailers only. and several hundred regular sling the spaces for cars with no trailers. So where do all the assholes park even when there are spaces available leaving no spaces available for trailers? Local police response - not our jurisdiction, contact park police. Park police response -not our jurisdiction, call National Park Service. NPS response- not our jurisdiction call local police. Also city councilman couldn't wouldn't help.

So one evening I went to the parking lot armed with stencils and spray paint and painted "parking for trailers only all others towed" in front of every space. Then I called the towing company that had the contract and sign posted in the lot.

Think outside the box and you might solve the problem.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I take it you are retired? Big Grin

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it isn't clear. This is one of two traffic lanes, not a No Parking area, however, who the hell thinks it's OK to park in traffic lane.

A few days ago, two of the four ladies I photographed were in a head-on collision 150 yard down our private road. Airbags went off. WTF? It was broad daylight and the road is almost three lanes wide. Parking allowed on the south side, but no cars at the time. Karma?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of observations-

1. What does Michigan law actually state about enforcement on non-designated roadways? In Kentucky, guess what? I can write traffic citations anywhere I please. The revised statues are pretty clear of the definition of "roadway" and it does not have to be a state, or local maintained roadway. All unposted roadways are 35 MPH unless otherwise posted as long as there are at least 3 residences within 300 feet.

2. Did you call the police or did Soccer mommy? Soccer Mommy? Then of course the report was on a suspicious person. She, like it or not, was the "victim" or reporting party, so the report would not undergo a title change just because the end game of all of this was a traffic issue.

3. Don't let this go, unless you decide that you want to. Stay on the chief, a deputy chief, or Captain until something is done. As long as your requests are reasonable. Just be understanding that if the state statues say "XYZ" and it is not what you want to hear, don't accuse anyone of "refusing to do their jobs". We pretty much have to follow what the state statues say. Parking in developments here are a PITA. People complain constantly about it. Problem is, the statue on it is clear that parking on the roadway in a developed neighborhood is lawful by statue. When the statue is clear about the situation, if you throw up "not doing your job", you get looks like you just pistol whipped a blind kid in church.

Lastly, breath. Sounds like you are making the right moves.

Jones

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in an apt. complex in Phoenix,
with single family dwellings across the street.

well they never had parking spots because the apt people would park in front of their house.

They got fed up and painted 120 feet of curb red,
and put up two no parking signs.

their problem went away ,

as a new tenant I called the police,to let them know that people were parking in the red zone across the street,
the next day the police called me back and told me that
since it is NOT designated a fire zone/ tow away zone in the city books, they can not ticket or tow.

I kinda thought this was genius

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember in the future that the first person to call the police is usually identified as the victim or injured party. You let the buttercup get ahead of the curve by reporting you for suspicious behavior around children.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Establish a condo rule and start fining coowners for their guests violations.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post