SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Putting a squirrel to work: keeping a menace off the streets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting a squirrel to work: keeping a menace off the streets Login/Join 
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted
I had posted this yesterday in the I am being "Menaced" by a squirrel thread:

"Yesterday I kept hearing an odd metallic noise. The city is fixing a pumphouse a few doors down so I thought it was coming from them. The noise kept up for about ten minutes so I walked outside to investigate.

A squirrel was parked in my roof gutter right at the downspout and digging away at something. He popped his head up and looked at me but kept on with it. I watched for a couple of minutes and began to think he had gotten stuck in the downspout somehow. He kept popping his head up but stayed in the exact same position. Several minutes later I was wondering if it was time to get a ladder and gloves when he finally got out of the gutter.

Then the little fartknocker leans out off the gutter like he was going to leap at me so we engaged in a 20 second staring contest. He decided against the full frontal attack and ran down the gutter to the other end of the house. And started digging in the gutter again. I don't know what he was after because I just cleaned the gutters 2 weeks ago but something had him interested."

Today I heard the same noises and sure enough the gutter cleaning squirrel is back. This time I got him on video so here's my new handyman:

Sweeping up

Getting that last bit spotless

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
They are entertaining little critters,I see them working neighbors gutters ,
I think its water and acorns they are after here.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
One of those little bastages ate the apron off my lead pipe boot, caused a major leak during a rain storm. Roofer says they do it all the time. Don't seem to bother the plastic ones.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
One of those little bastages ate the apron off my lead pipe boot, caused a major leak during a rain storm. Roofer says they do it all the time. Don't seem to bother the plastic ones.

Back in the day...squirrels would destroy lead planters and yard ornaments...they never seemed to suffer any bad effects from chewing lead Confused

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Back in the day...squirrels would destroy lead planters and yard ornaments...they never seemed to suffer any bad effects from chewing lead Confused

That’s because they already were squirrelly. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's trying to chew a way in to your attic. Squirrels on or in the house means war here at the Swede ranch

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah. He needs killing. They're bad to chew into your attic and eat the insulation off your wires. Bastards shit everywhere too. They did thousands in damage to my parents house.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I had one that made a nest in my gutter. Having just had the gutters cleaned out so they would drain, this was not on the approved program list.

We have a 'havahart' trap and with a little peanut butter he was incarcerated.

I took him across town to a park and relocated him in a place that had no gutters. Hopefully he adjusted to a lower-tech environment - at least he's not returned and none of the others have tried that trick again. Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky enough to have never had animals in my attic but I'll be keeping an eye on this little bugger in case he has delusions of grandeur.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
He will let you know at 1AM, right after letting your dog know. Hopefully he won't have gnawed on your wiring yet. Every squirrel I have seen mucking around in a gutter was trying to get into an attic.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post