SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stu1000rr:
Because pipe is measured by inside diameter.....not outside.

Si'mon wey!

NPT pipe thread is fun. A 1/2 npt thread isn't anywhere near a half inch. They use the pipe id to name a thread that's way, way bigger than 1/2 inch.

Cutting pipe threads on a lathe is fun. Pipe threads are tapered.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A 2 x 4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5

That is all...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I’ve got a Breville Smart Grill. What are you doing to it?

The Breville, of course, has several built-in hold-offs to set the distance that its top plate hovers above the bottom plate. But sometimes none of its hold-offs are exactly the height that I want.

Furthermore, for some operations, it’s necessary to carefully hold the top plate precisely level as it’s lowered to the hold-off position.

For example: I use the Breville to bake a single 2 oz piece of cornbread. My current practice: Smooth plates top and bottom, no built-in hold-off is set, but four hex nuts, 1/2” across the flats, are placed in the four corners of the bottom plate. A 2oz blob of stiff cornbread batter in the center of the bottom plate.

So when I lower the top plate, it’s exactly 1/2” above the bottom plate, and exactly parallel to it. But I’m now thinking that hex nuts 9/16”, or even 5/8” across the flats, might be a better choice.

After baking, the irregular blob of cornbread batter has expanded to a smooth oval shape. I spread some herbed butter onto it and eat. Good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Sounds like he needs some black coffee. Big Grin

Nah... won't offset the excessive port consumption that most likely was the root of the issue here. Big Grin

lololololololololololol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
For example: I use the Breville to bake a single 2 oz piece of cornbread. My current practice: Smooth plates top and bottom, no built-in hold-off is set, but four hex nuts, 1/2” across the flats, are placed in the four corners of the bottom plate. A 2oz blob of stiff cornbread batter in the center of the bottom plate.

So when I lower the top plate, it’s exactly 1/2” above the bottom plate, and exactly parallel to it. But I’m now thinking that hex nuts 9/16”, or even 5/8” across the flats, might be a better choice.

After baking, the irregular blob of cornbread batter has expanded to a smooth oval shape. I spread some herbed butter onto it and eat. Good!

I got to bust your balls a little bit here. You got time to bake a single piece of corn bread to NASA specs but cant run down to homedepot for some nuts and bolts. Razz

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I got to bust your balls a little bit here. You got time to bake a single piece of corn bread to NASA specs but cant run down to homedepot for some nuts and bolts. Razz

4 minutes to make the cornbread batter. (Marie Callender cornbread mix.) 5 minutes to bake it golden brown at 430 °F in the Breville. Wash the mixing bowl & spoon while it’s baking. Nothing else to clean (except the butter knife) because disposable nonstick aluminum foil is under and over the cornbread patty. Some of us think that good food is worth a little prep time. I would enjoy a larger piece of cornbread, but I watch my weight closely, and limit myself to one 2oz piece. But I want it freshly baked.

Sure, I could go to a hardware store for hex nuts. But a 10 mile round trip takes more of my time, and costs more of my money, than an Amazon order delivered to my door. And now I’ll get the hex nuts that I want, thanks to the useful info provided by some of the good folks in this thread that led me to find this link:

https://www.fmwfasteners.com/b...q/hex-nut-dimensions

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stu1000rr:
Because pipe is measured by inside diameter.....not outside.

plumbing/electrical yes
refrigeration pipe/tubing is O.D.

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A 2 x 4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5

Guy building a shed for my wife said (and showed me), the 2x4's he is now getting at lumberyards are 1.5" x 3.25".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
In April I ordered a 3-1/2" diameter Dynabrade random orbital air sander at a song-and-dance of a price (I bought the last one, and someone realized they were selling a $200 tool for $55 shipped and fixed it). What I got (the first time around; I was not going to let that deal go so I returned it for a replacement when the next shipment came in) was the 5" model (which I already have and love). This wouldn't be a huge deal if Amazon's inventory label saying "3-1/2-Inch 89mm Diameter Sander" wasn't right across the label on the packaging itself, which less than an inch above the label had "5-Inch Random Orbital Sander" clearly printed.

This happened shortly before the incident where they "tried to deliver" my new router via the evening shift driver to my UPS Store PO box for 4 days before declaring it lost in transit after 6 phone calls and an email to Mr. Bezos (which was the only thing that actually made any difference; I actually believe I ranted about that here), so I was already upset when that mess went down.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure, I could go to a hardware store for hex nuts. But a 10 mile round trip takes more of my time, and costs more of my money, than an Amazon order delivered to my door. And now I’ll get the hex nuts that I want, thanks to the useful info provided by some of the good folks in this thread that led me to find this link:

In the end when it takes multiple re-orders, and time lost waiting for items to arrive...it's not really a savings of time, and probably not much savings of money, either.

Sometimes we're so busy sawing that we don't take time to sharpen the saw.

I know...wise up.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just went to Amazon and searched precision cornbread nuts, selected the 9/16" and was GTG. Try that when your current cornbread nuts wear out. Sometimes you just need the right search terms.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

In the end when it takes multiple re-orders, and time lost waiting for items to arrive...it's not really a savings of time, and probably not much savings of money, either.

Sometimes we're so busy sawing that we don't take time to sharpen the saw.

I know...wise up.

As I wrote above: “And now I’ll get the hex nuts that I want, thanks to the useful info provided by some of the good folks in this thread that led me to find this link…”

Read before you post.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I did read, the entire thread, and yet at the end of the thread you say you still won't go to the hardware store, which has been your theme throughout the thread. You're so busy not going to the hardware store and telling us how valueable that your time is that you end up taking substantially more time and the project doesn't get done. The theme doesn't wash.

The miracle and convenience of not lifting a finger beyond tapping on a keyboard is dandy and all, but sometimes it's actually worth getting up and going to the store. You started this thread as a rant about an online shipper that failed you and quickly found that you didn't know what you were doing. Every story has an arc, a learning curve in which the character changes, and you do indicate that you've learned something...yet fall right back to the same mantra at the end: you don't have time to do the simplest of things...when in fact it's that attitude that got you there in the first place.

Lose the attitude, and you'll have more time.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Lose the attitude, and you'll have more time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I just went to Amazon and searched precision cornbread nuts, selected the 9/16" and was GTG. Try that when your current cornbread nuts wear out. Sometimes you just need the right search terms.

Did you order the organic free range cornbread nuts?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, I picked up a 12" bolt from Lowes a few weeks ago.
Now, I have been buying bolts for decades... and had 3 years of Machine shop training so...

Got home and the bolt was 1/2" too short. It only measured 11 1/2 inches when measured the way I was taught and the way everyone else in the free world does except Lowes it seems. See graphic below.

But NO... Blowes apparently measures overall length! They don't even have bins for half inch sizes in the longer bolts. Just 11" or 12" so it wasn't misplaced or etc... but yet here is... a 11 1/2" bolt.
Silly me, should have pulled the tape out of my pocket and measured it myself, I know better. Trust but verify, unless at Lowes then Don't trust and verify.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Don't order wire from Amazon. You might think 14 gauge is bigger than 0000; it's not. Smile

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Are these nuts your ordered food safe? I'd have ordered stainless myself. If you didn't you may want to check to see if you really want to be cooking with what you have.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A much better solution. You may find exactly what you need here.

https://www.mcmaster.com/spacers

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I thank you for that. I looked for “spacers” on Amazon, but couldn’t find what I wanted. Your link looks like a much better source.

Serious about crackers