SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I ordered five 9/16” steel hex nuts from Amazon. I wanted four for spacers to set 9/16” plate separation of my Breville Smart Grill – didn’t care about thread size.

I received five 7/8” steel hex nuts. Oh well, mistakes happen. Low cost, not worth my time to return ‘em. Ordered five more 9/16” steel hex nuts (from a different Amazon supplier). Received five 7/8” steel hex nuts again. Damn.

OK, ordered five 9/16” brass hex nuts from a third Amazon supplier. Figured that with the more expensive brass nuts they’d be more careful with the order. Received five 7/8” brass hex nuts. WTF?!

I’ve finally learned my lesson. I’ll drive the five miles to Marshall’s Industrial Hardware to get my four hex nuts. Anyway, it’s a fascinating store – I seldom leave with nothing but my intended purchase.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love Marshall’s! My co-Grandpa told me about it, he works on cars all the time.
They also have a great tool selection with lots of overpriced German screwdrivers and the like.
Most recent purchase was strut channel hardware.
For those not in the SD area, here is their website:
Marshall’s Industrial Hardware

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
It's not Amazon. A 9/16 thread typically uses a 7/8 hex head. If you are looking for a 9/16 head buy 3/8 nuts.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
It's not Amazon. A 9/16 thread typically uses a 7/8 hex head. If you are looking for a 9/16 head buy 3/8 nuts.

I don’t understand that at all. But I’ll take my Mitutoyo vernier caliper along when I go to Marshall’s to be sure that I get hex nuts that are 9/16” across the flats.

And yes, I know that a 9/16” nut is actually slightly less, and a 9/16” socket is slightly more.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nuts are sized by the thread size (the hole) not the outside of the flats. Is that the confusion here, or am I the one who's puzzled?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Confused

I'm not puzzled at all. Everybody knows you can't size up the hex nuts until after they've seen the witch doctor.

Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I ordered five 9/16” steel hex nuts from Amazon. I wanted four for spacers to set 9/16” plate separation of my Breville Smart Grill – didn’t care about thread size.

I received five 7/8” steel hex nuts. Oh well, mistakes happen. Low cost, not worth my time to return ‘em. Ordered five more 9/16” steel hex nuts (from a different Amazon supplier). Received five 7/8” steel hex nuts again. Damn.

OK, ordered five 9/16” brass hex nuts from a third Amazon supplier. Figured that with the more expensive brass nuts they’d be more careful with the order. Received five 7/8” brass hex nuts. WTF?!
They sent you exactly what you ordered. Maybe not what you wanted, but they did send what you ordered.

Nuts are "sized" by the I.D. of the hole, not by the outside measurement.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The light finally dawns. Son of a gun – my whole life, I thought a 9/16” wrench would fit a 9/16” nut. Silly me. I thank the forum for educating me.

And my apologies to Amazon, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As shiftvtec said, 3/8" nuts (ID) measure 9/16" across the outside flat edges; i.e. you use a 9/16" open end wrench for that size nut.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Just to save the OP some possible trouble in the future, it's not just nuts.

Pretty much all threaded fasteners are sized this way.

The numbers in the name describe the asme thread size and pitch. Rarely ever is the size of the tool needed to operate the fastener mentioned.

For example a 1/2 - 13 bolt has a threaded shank that is 1/2 inch nominal diameter and a thread pitch of 13 threads per inch. A 1/2 - 13 nut will have a threaded hole that fits a screw with a 1/2-13 thread.

Metric is done the same except for the thread pitch. An m14x1.5 screw will have a nominal major diameter of 14mm, an measure 1.5mm between any two threads.

A 13 pitch screw will measure .0769" between any 2 threads, or 1/13 of an inch.

This knowledge is how a machinist or gunsmith can make a brake or flash hider that hits the correct torque value at the correct position to be timed correctly.

If i want to torque a muzzle brake to 35ft lbs, then test torque a brake and find that it takes 5° of rotation to go from finger tight to, say, 35 ft lbs, I can calculate how much to face off the back of the brake, so the it hits 35 ft lbs at the correct orientation.

A 13 pitch threaded nut, or muzzle brake will move .00107 inches in 5° of rotation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken226,

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Is this a great place or what,people in the know will educate you,and you will like the place even more. Cool

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Why in the hell would you buy 5 hex nuts from amazon? Are you bed ridden?

You're in San Diego, sure its been a few years since I was stationed there but all the Home Depots can't have closed already.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

You're in San Diego, sure its been a few years since I was stationed there but all the Home Depots can't have closed already.

Nearest Home Depot: ~5 miles.
Nearest Ace Hardware: ~5 miles.
Marshall’s: ~5 miles.
Front door: .~20 steps.

No time pressure, the cost difference is trivial to me, and I have other demands on my time.

Wise up.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Nearest Home Depot: ~5 miles.
Nearest Ace Hardware: ~5 miles.
Marshall’s: ~5 miles.
Front door: .~20 steps.

No time pressure, the cost difference is trivial to me, and I have other demands on my time.

Wise up.

At least if you drove to Home Depot, you wouldn't have bought the wrong nuts 3 TIMES. LOLOLOLOL My bets on Spinzone…….. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Breville Smart Grill. What are you doing to it?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The light finally dawns. Son of a gun – my whole life, I thought a 9/16” wrench would fit a 9/16” nut. Silly me. I thank the forum for educating me.

And my apologies to Amazon, too.

We all live and learn.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Nuts are sized by the thread size (the hole) not the outside of the flats. Is that the confusion here, or am I the one who's puzzled?

JIS is an exception. Take an M8 JIS bolt and you use a 12mm wrench. Buy the same nut from McMaster-Carr and it's a 13mm wrench (ANSI).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In future news, why is my 4" PVC pipe 4.5" in diameter!!??

You've taken this well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he needs some black coffee. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
Because pipe is measured by inside diameter.....not outside.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post