SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don’t order hex nuts from Amazon Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
It's not Amazon. A 9/16 thread typically uses a 7/8 hex head. If you are looking for a 9/16 head buy 3/8 nuts.

I don’t understand that at all. But I’ll take my Mitutoyo vernier caliper along when I go to Marshall’s to be sure that I get hex nuts that are 9/16” across the flats.

And yes, I know that a 9/16” nut is actually slightly less, and a 9/16” socket is slightly more.

Actually what you don't understand is that Nuts, Metric or Imperial, are made to a specific standards. For example a STANDARD 3/8-16 (or 3/8-24) Hex Nut will have a width across the flats of 9/16 inch. A 1/2-13 (or 1/2-20) STANDARD Hex Nut will have a width across the flats of 3/4 inch. A 9/16-12 Nut will have a width across the flats of 7/8 inch. So when you ordered a 9/16 Nut you were ordering a Nut for a 9/16 diameter thread and received exactly that. Yeah, the thread size DOES matter, because the standard for sizing of Nuts is the THREAD SIZE, not the size of the Hex.

Because there is a rather large variety of Types of nuts out there and some of these variety can have a width across the flats that are different that those for a Standard Profile Nut. For example Heavy Hex Nuts will have a width across the flats that is larger than the more common Standard Hex Nut. Then there are the 12 point Nuts used on things like Engine Headers or Connecting Rods. In general 12 Point nuts have a smaller basic diameter because the extra points provides for more "traction" between nut and socket. So 12 point nuts get used when space is limited (headers) or higher than typical torque values are called for during assembly (connecting rods).

Basically you were the reason for your not receiving what you wanted. Because you didn't use the correct properties to order your nuts. In the future if you want to order a nut to a specific width across the flats you will need to get online and look at a table of standard nuts listed by thread size and go across to the width column to determine what thread size results in the width of flat you desire. BTW, do NOT expect the entire planet to change how nuts are ordered just to make things easy for you, it aint gonna happen. Because most folks ordering a nut are going to want a nut that fits a specific thread size.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Actually what you don't understand is that Nuts, Metric or Imperial, are made to a specific standards. For example a STANDARD 3/8-16 (or 3/8-24) Hex Nut will have a width across the flats of 9/16 inch. A 1/2-13 (or 1/2-20) STANDARD Hex Nut will have a width across the flats of 3/4 inch. A 9/16-12 Nut will have a width across the flats of 7/8 inch. So when you ordered a 9/16 Nut you were ordering a Nut for a 9/16 diameter thread and received exactly that. Yeah, the thread size DOES matter, because the standard for sizing of Nuts is the THREAD SIZE, not the size of the Hex.

<snip>

Basically you were the reason for your not receiving what you wanted. Because you didn't use the correct properties to order your nuts. In the future if you want to order a nut to a specific width across the flats you will need to get online and look at a table of standard nuts listed by thread size and go across to the width column to determine what thread size results in the width of flat you desire. BTW, do NOT expect the entire planet to change how nuts are ordered just to make things easy for you

Yeah. There have been at least two posts in this thread, before yours, that enlightened me about the size specification of hex nuts. And I appreciated that enlightenment.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post