SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows... Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
After just spending 3 1/2 hours cleaning up the registry on our home computer, I really think it's time to move on and give a Chromebook a try, much as I distrust Google as much as I detest MSFT and AAPL. There's got to be SOMETHING that's better than what I've got now.

Lordy, how I hate computers.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you hate Microsoft and Apple and distrust Google, why not try Linux?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Linux...

It's truly the dark side, but from your avatar, you are already there...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
What on earth would cause you to spend 3 1/2 hours mucking about in the registry?

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
What on earth would cause you to spend 3 1/2 hours mucking about in the registry?
If I tried it, the first five minutes would be to "fix" something, the rest of the time would be trouble-shooting the fallout from the five minute fix. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advanced System Care 10.0, Windows Defender and Encryption enabled on your WiFi. Add in AVG or Malewarebytes. Be more selective about surfing adult sites and this won't happen.

Learn to use Windows Restore Points too.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For surfing the web, Chromebooks are great. Zero maintenance and five second boot time is hard to beat.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I rely on CCleaner, and it keeps things humming along reasonably well....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers asked me to take a look at her kids' laptop last week. She told me it'd slowed down. I've worked on it before, and I know somebody in that house likes their adult material.

I tried taking a look, and it just booted into an endless Windows Startup Repair loop. I walked back up to ask about it, and she tells me, "Yeah, my son mentioned that it was doing that." That information might have been useful to know when you handed it to me.

Turns out the registry was corrupted. Good thing "there's nothing important on it," because the only surefire way to recover from that without a backup is to reimage the computer.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You must have got the Russian version. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post