SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I went for bloodwork today, didn't go well
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I went for bloodwork today, didn't go well Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I'm getting a CT scan next week for pain from a mesh in a while back. Today I had to get bloodwork before the scan. The tech put the needle through the vein. Swollen, stings and is black and blue within the hour. I put ice on it and the swelling went down. She acted like this happens all the time. Our insurance makes us use this lab so I'm stuck going there.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I also had my blood drawn for a panel a couple days ago. They took about 4 vials out. Its pretty much healed the next day, just a slight bruise and a red dot.

Is she the only phlebotomist there?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
She acted like this happens all the time.

Sure, if the person is new, not paying attention, or the veins are in bad shape.

Had it happen once when giving blood. Looked like I took a fast-pitch softball right in the arm.

Labs should hire former junkies, bet they get the vein every time. Big Grin

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I went Monday and the girl drew out 5 vials. I accused her of taking 5 quarts. But she did good. Barely felt it and not even a spot when I took the bandage off. I was impressed. My guess it was just the girl taking the sample. Hope you remembered her name. Next time, ask for a different torturer. They may not like it, but there is no reason for you to be the guinea pig. You served you sentence, but once is enough.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good phlebotomists are hard to find. I always have mine butterflied. Less painful and faster since all my other veins are shot. Baby warmer on the hand makes the blood flow faster.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't stand getting my blood drawn. Don't like to watch them do it. I just tell them don't tell me anything, just stick me and let me know when I can leave. They always try to put a bandaid on it even after I tell them I'm allergic to them. I just tell them to give me a guaze pad or cotton ball and I'll be on my way.

The worst is having fluid removed from knees, extremely uncomfortable and they use what seems like a foot long needle.

If I never had to do it again, I'd be one happy dude.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m what they refer to as a “bad stick” in my arms.

However, when I suggest they use the veins in the back of my hand, it goes easy. You might suggest they at least consider this next time.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There’s a touch to drawing. My wife has it and can start IVs on newborns.
My wife has had a couple of times when staff went to draw her blood. After multiple sticks that were bad, she got ticked, took the needle and drew her own blood. Yes, words were then said.

Were it me, I’d avoid that tech. You might ask at the desk who does the best stick. There’s nothing wrong with being your own advocate.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"I went to the doctor, but all he did was suck blood from my neck. Do not go see Dr. Acula."

-Mitch Hedberg

RIP

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I give blood a few times a year for the last 20 or so years.
Usually double reds if they need them, a single unit if they don't.
Only a few times did I end up with a huge bruise.
I get a sting now and then, but most of the time I barely feel it.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Good phlebotomists are hard to find. I always have mine butterflied. Less painful and faster since all my other veins are shot. Baby warmer on the hand makes the blood flow faster.
. Yes, back of the hand and a butterfly is usually easier on the patient.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine drawn at my Dr.’s office For my mandatory bi-annual work physical. The girl that does it is the bomb. She knows the routine have me looking the other way and keep talking to me about anything... or be prepared to pick my big ass off the floor. Didn’t feel it, done with two vials in about 45 seconds. Not even a mark.

Now, every year at work we have a wellness screen so we can get a discount in our insurance payment. Those ladies are bad. Jab me all over like I am a voodoo doll!! Leave all bruised up and hurting. Almost wish they would curb stomp me and put a drip pan under my nose!!!

Posts: 4027 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had a doctor and about 8 technicians go in through my fimeral just over a year ago.... the bruise it left was the size of a basket ball and lasted a week ... somedays I can still feel the stitches....

My research nurse likes to do the back of the hand and an iddy biddy needle.... it's her call but I'd just as soon prefer she just use a regular needle in my forearm....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I typically get bloodwork once a year and donate twice a year. This was the worst time. Empty office but she rushed it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only once did I have a bad experience with a phlebotomist. Pissy, tubby, middle-aged woman in a hurry. Jammed needle into arm and pushed it hard over and around a few times. Scratched my arm pretty deeply too. Hurt a lot and I told her so. Had very bad bruising and my arm hurt for a few days. When a person called back to ask "how they did" I let 'em have it.

I'm okay with needles as long as I don't see them insert. I always look away. Works for me.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I always request a butterfly needle. They are not allowed to use them (cost more, I guess) unless the patient requests it, or circumstances require it.

Much better today than the 1960's, with glass syringes that were reused (autoclaved) and metal needles that were reused (resharpened and autoclaved). 5 samples meant 5 sticks. Today with vacutainers, just one stick and plug in different vacutainers for each sample.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
For the last 6 month, I had blood drawn monthly to check the effect medication is having on my liver. The phlebotomists have been quite good, just a stick and a cotton ball with self adhesive tape and out the door. I get the results back that evening the same time they send them to the doctor. Got another one coming up in 5 days.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
again , I feel very fortunate.
I get blood drawn three times a year, and have not had a bad experience in over ten years .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Person drawing is the problem, I've been to several labs without issue, last time the Dr said they do it in house, so fine, after 5 pokes I sent the tech out the door, even she knew that she was the issue, no words spoken other than.

"I think we're done"

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I'm getting a CT scan next week for pain from a mesh in a while back. Today I had to get bloodwork before the scan. The tech put the needle through the vein. Swollen, stings and is black and blue within the hour. I put ice on it and the swelling went down. She acted like this happens all the time. Our insurance makes us use this lab so I'm stuck going there.

Can you find a different lab to do the work? Or at least have a choice of lab techs?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post