SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Loaf Bread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loaf Bread Login/Join 
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted
What is the deal nowadays with loaf bread? I remember when it used to be moist and soft. Now its always spongy and sorta crusty. Even the expensive so called premium breads are bad. A good one comes to mind though its not available anymore that I know of. At least not in my area. I havent seen it. Butterkrust it was called. It was always good!

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You try pinching one?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
You try pinching one?

Wow! Forget this post. It went south in quite a hurry.
Disgusting, my friend. Disgusting.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luis, I remember Sunbeam and Merita bread. We always had a fresh loaf to make turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving, when I was young.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luis:
It went south in quite a hurry.

Yes, but remember, the day after Thanksgiving is a holiday for most elementary schools, and as it's not Christmas yet, some of those juveniles will be bored with nothing else to do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Grandma Sycamore’s or Dave’s Killer Bread are my two go-to breads. No complaints from me.

But whatever butters your bread.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I bake my own and then freeze it. Still much better than store bought.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
They took the fat out of it in a race to make sawdust bread. Not a big fan of Wonder bread but it used to be so moist and spongy if you handled it roughly you would leave indentations from your fingers.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no love for spongy store bought bread. Gotta have me some flavorful crustiness and a decent chewy crumb. which is why I bake my own.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got fired as a baker. Loafing on the job.

Had to quit baking. Not enough dough, couldn’t get a raise.

Okay, I’m done.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You try pinching one?

Maybe the mind of the reader? Maybe I'm naive, but I read the pinching post as pinch the bread through the wrapper to help determine if it meets the purchasers standard, which is definitely variable. This has been done for as long as I can remember . I believe that plastic wrapping has an effect on bread products. Paper, cardboard boxes, seems to keep bread better. But Wonder Bread has changed, but some people have never considered it to be bread?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
quote:
quote:
You try pinching one?

Maybe the mind of the reader? Maybe I'm naive, but I read the pinching post as pinch the bread through the wrapper to help determine if it meets the purchasers standard, which is definitely variable. This has been done for as long as I can remember . I believe that plastic wrapping has an effect on bread products. Paper, cardboard boxes, seems to keep bread better. But Wonder Bread has changed, but some people have never considered it to be bread?

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone else did this too - as opposed to some humorless folks who don't know how to play with puns and semantics.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer to buy the Rhodes frozen dough and bake it myself. My sandwiches are SO much better than the pre-sliced, flimsy bread.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Consistency aside, so you remember when bread used to mold after a week or so?
What have they done to bread these days that it keeps forever?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Consistency aside, so you remember when bread used to mold after a week or so?
What have they done to bread these days that it keeps forever?

Mono- and Diglycerides and DATEM.

https://naturallysavvy.com/eat...bread-manufacturing/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I bake my own and then freeze it. Still much better than store bought.

My upscale grocery offers excellent breads with lots of character. Due to self imposed calorie restrictions I don’t eat bread at a great rate, so I freeze it for good preservation.

An advantage of frozen bread is that it makes wonderful toast. I put two to four frozen slices into my Breville Smart Grill, preheated to 450 °F, close its top, and 2’ 45” later I have toast that’s dark and crisp on the outside, but very tender in the inside. So good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post