SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did it become an obligation for parents to fund their kids' college education?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did it become an obligation for parents to fund their kids' college education? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have friends who went to court for divorce (i.e. didn't settle amicably) and the judge ordered child support to 18 and pay for college. It's bad enough the kids feel entitled but some of the courts too...

More common than folks here seem to realize. I have a friend who's wife wanted out. He had 3 kids still under "warranty". It seems that in this area, child support goes to 18 or high school graduation. Then college if the dependent goes. The middle child, a girl wanted to go to college but the mother (the one that wanted the divorce) was helping her by "holding" her savings. She spent it. So the daughter couldn't go away or even start on time. That fouled the water and ended child support for that one. No matter how loudly the ex screamed and cried, she did it. There are no try-overs.

So yes, it seems courts do all they can to reward the custodial parent. Part of that reality is the child support payment is often used for support of the ex or the ex's life style.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The world I grew up in,the children revolved around the family. Now the family revolves around the children.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oldest went to one semester of Community College and decided that it wasn't for him . Fine , get your ass out there and find a job . Eventually he wound up as a Sheriff's Deputy and is doing well . The youngest worked and went to College and got a degree in Construction Management . I paid for it since he was holding down a job and paying for gas and insurance. His father in law made him part owner of a construction company so that worked out pretty sweet .

Posts: 4050 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post