SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another cell phone while driving rant
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another cell phone while driving rant Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
This morning on my way to work, I was sitting at a red traffic light. There are 3 lanes. A right turn only lane, middle lane is go straight or turn left, left lane left turn only. I'm in the left lane, it's a long light and when I pulled up to the red light the truck that would be alongside me with his left directional was already sitting there. Now we are side by side. The light changes, and I have a habit when turning to check on the vehicles alongside to make sure we are both keeping in our lane which very quickly merge into one lane. The Ass next to me when I glance to see his position is looking at his cell phone as were are turning. Is looking at your phone at this time more important than your life? While this seems to be more prevalent now it is still enough to piss me off.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
New cars should come with a device that automatically shuts all cell phones in a car within a quarter mile around. Don't know if the technology is workable, and I'm sure some geek with no sense would work a way around it, but I'd feel better.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:

New cars should come with a device that automatically shuts all cell phones in a car within a quarter mile around. Don't know if the technology is workable, and I'm sure some geek with no sense would work a way around it, but I'd feel better.
How 'bout doing this for selective functions on the phone? I use the GPS turn-by-turn instructions when driving in an unfamiliar area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
How about just making it against the law to use those phones while driving?

AIR, Maryland did that quite some time ago. There was a sign as you crossed the river into MD from VA.

A high percentage of cars driving around here have drivers with their face glued to their damned phones! Exceeding speed limits by a bunch, blindly drifting from lane to lane without signals (or even looking), etc.

I foresee a major chain reaction accident coming.

2 days ago I was in the right lane, coming up on an exit where a separate right turn lane is provided. That was my exit. Some asshole screamed past me on the shoulder, doing well over the speed limit and forced his/her way back into the traffic lane to continue across the upcoming intersection.

As near as I can tell, about 40% of the drivers here are on their damned phones while driving. Major chain reaction accident just waiting to happen.

Not a lot of what the MD gubbermint does that I agree with, but that law about cell phones was right on the money.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

How about just making it against the law to use those phones while driving?
I think it would be good to be a bit more specific about what "use" of the phones should be prohibited.

Per my example above, what is wrong with using the GPS / mapping function? How would this app on a phone be any different from a stand-alone GPS, or even a built-in navigation system, as equipped on many (most?) newer vehicles?

I agree with you about things like texting, and maybe phone conversations (hands-free might be OK), but getting directions for navigating is a legitimate use.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:

So someone being assaulted on a sidewalk or in a car would just be shit out of luck?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the lady behind me , on her phone , stay put for the green light,

the 26 cars behind her let her know how they felt
Big Grin
she got an ear full of car horns for the next half mile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ride a motorcycle. This gives you a great view of everyone in the lane beside you. Great view of everyone holding their phones in their laps so the cops wont see them using them.
You will be filled with warmth for your fellow man!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

As rough as today has been, this has been the dumbest fucking thing I’ve heard today. Roll Eyes

I’m sure you feeling better should interfere with the lives of others.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a return to driving the cars of the '50's?

NO power steering or power brakes. Manual clutch and three speed manual transmission with shift on the column. No turn signals - stick arm out window to indicate which direction you'll turn. Hand wind up windows, too. No A/C in car - sweat your ass off in summer.

There would be no way anyone could use a cellphone and drive in those old cars.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

this has been the dumbest fucking thing I’ve heard today.
Stick around. We're just getting started.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'll make popcorn, V-Tail. Want some?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'll make popcorn, V-Tail. Want some?
With real butter, please, and a decent amount of salt. No point eating it if it's going to be diluted with all the healthy crap.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:

NO power steering or power brakes. Manual clutch and three speed manual transmission with shift on the column. No turn signals - stick arm out window to indicate which direction you'll turn. Hand wind up windows, too. No A/C in car - sweat your ass off in summer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You never met my old man. He could belt you a good one in the backseat while motoring down the highway. He hated talking on the phone so he would never talk on a cell phone.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As rough as today has been, this has been the dumbest fucking thing I’ve heard today. Roll Eyes

Two years ago I attended a good friend's funeral because some twat was driving and texting. Yeah, I pretty good with it.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Two years ago I attended a good friend's funeral because some twat was driving and texting. Yeah, I pretty good with it.

And 20-odd years ago, some jerk came up to my window at a stoplight and started punching on my jaw. I was mighty thankful to those in the car right behind, who had a phone and could call the authorities. This good-thing/bad-thing game could go on all day....

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

That's overkill. All that's necessary is manual trans & clutch, and non-power steering. Those alone would be enough to occupy drivers' attention sufficiently to keep 'em off the verkakte phones. Doing away with turn signals and power brakes w/ALS would do more harm than good. A/C has little bearing on the problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Causing passing a law always fixes stuff. Duh.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...A/C has little bearing on the problem.

When the temperature is 90 degrees and the humidity is 90%, who would want to get stuck in traffic?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Hands free technology has gotten to the point where it should be required.

I can make a phone call, listen to a text, or start navigation on my Ram's nav system without taking my hands off the steering wheel or my eyes off the road. My cell phone may be in my backpack in the back sear.

I understand that older vehicles won't have this but moving forwad it should become standard on all new cars.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post