SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Diana Coates Cast as Henry V??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diana Coates Cast as Henry V?? Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
I thought I would expand my horizons and experience one of Shakespeare's plays. After an internet search, I learned that Henry V was going to be performed at First Folio theater (https://firstfolio.org/?production=henry-v) in one of the western suburbs of Chicago.

But, in looking at the website, I was surprised to learn that the role of Henry V is going to be done by a woman named Diana Coates.

I'm not knowledgeable about plays in general nor Shakespeare's in particular, and find this pretty odd. Is it unusual to have a woman in this role? Are there no men available to play Henry V?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps she "identifies" as a white male.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Could be. My only experience with Shakespeare was the movie, Henry V, with Kenneth Branagh.

I may be an unenlightened neanderthal, but I'm not paying money to see a female proclaiming "We band of brothers!"

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You guys are not properly embracing DIVERSITY. Shame on y'all.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
You guys are not properly embracing DIVERSITY. Shame on y'all.

Well, it would be interesting to hear her proclaim that she'd "hold her manhood cheap". Big Grin

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
On the stage or on film, there is a long of history of men and women playing the opposite sex. If this lady was going to do the makeup and all that jazz to look like a man I'd get it. But this is some sjw bullshit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it, but IIRC there was an all female version of Julius Caesar set in a women's prison that was aired on PBS.

Found it. It was an episode of Great performances.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This story shall the good man teach his son!
Until she sprouts balls, she is no Harry the King.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d give it a shot. Else, it’s the same thing for the zillionth time. Give it s new spin.

If it doesn’t work, fine. I don’t think it’d kill me.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hey, I know! We could remake Mary Poppins with Shaquille O'Neal in the title role. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it is barely possible that a big, burly, female actress could act the part of an English Warrior King in a believable manner, but why? This travesty is about diversity and political correctness, not about believability.
I don’t want to watch an NBA player trying to act the part of Juliet either.

Henry V is not a girly part!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
I’d give it a shot. Else, it’s the same thing for the zillionth time. Give it s new spin.

If it doesn’t work, fine. I don’t think it’d kill me.

Well, it's the first time for me.

But, even if it wasn't, I'd still have a problem. I've seen Puccini's Madame Butterfly at least six times and each one has been different in some way. But, if a guy came out to sing the role of Cio-Cio-san, I'd call foul.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Exactly. Smile

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
It’s only fair. Back in Shakespeare’s day all parts were played by males. Female characters were generally played by boys or younger teens who were apprenticing with a theatre troop or company.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
How progressive.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
They are preparing us for the woman who’ll replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are experimenting. I am not particularly interested in the experiment, but I can solve the "problem" by not seeing this version of the play.

Some enjoy such things. It is no skin off my nose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
If a black man can play Alexander Hamilton why can't a black woman play Henry V?

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

But, even if it wasn't, I'd still have a problem. I've seen Puccini's Madame Butterfly at least six times and each one has been different in some way. But, if a guy came out to sing the role of Cio-Cio-san, I'd call foul.

What if he was an awesome soprano? Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

What if he was an awesome soprano? Wink

JHE, I cannot contend with you. It she can can pull off a good Don Giovanni as a soprano, you'll get no complaints from me! Razz