SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Seniors in high school had no idea why June 6 is special.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seniors in high school had no idea why June 6 is special. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’d cut the kids some slack. D-Day is more important to our generation because our fathers/grandfathers fought it. For kids, however, they wouldn’t know anybody who was there, so it’s just a date in history.

To illustrate my point. How many here can tell me off the top of their head what happened on July 4th, 1863, and why it is more important to U.S. history than June 6th, 1944? See, after three or four generations it is just history.

Many on this forum might be better educated than the average person on military history, but that isn’t indicative of a declining standard. My daughter was playing trivia with friends on her phone, and asked me what triggered the U.S. entry into WWI. I correctly answered “The Zimmerman Telegram”. Doesn’t make her uneducated, it’s just that WWI/II history is my thing.

They taught us in school it was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand that started WWI.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’d cut the kids some slack. D-Day is more important to our generation because our fathers/grandfathers fought it. For kids, however, they wouldn’t know anybody who was there, so it’s just a date in history.

To illustrate my point. How many here can tell me off the top of their head what happened on July 4th, 1863, and why it is more important to U.S. history than June 6th, 1944? See, after three or four generations it is just history.

Many on this forum might be better educated than the average person on military history, but that isn’t indicative of a declining standard. My daughter was playing trivia with friends on her phone, and asked me what triggered the U.S. entry into WWI. I correctly answered “The Zimmerman Telegram”. Doesn’t make her uneducated, it’s just that WWI/II history is my thing.

They taught us in school it was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand that started WWI.

Yes, that started the war in 1914. However, the U.S. didn’t enter the war until 1917, when it was revealed that Germany offered Mexico the state of Texas after the Central Powers defeated the allies. Before this the U.S. was neutral, even selling arms to Germany in 1914-1915.

That great sucking sound from 1914-1917 was the noise made by European wealth being relocated from London/Paris/Berlin to New York.

Some scholars even argue that the United States’ paramount concern was the huge debts owed by London and Paris, and a loss by them would invalidate the debts and cause panic in the U.S. economy. However, I believe there is a certain level of propinquity with England, due to a common language and history, and it was inevitable that we would ally with the U.K.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ Read it too quickly, oops.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
And if I were being asked, I would tell you it was the day 48 years ago when my wife got married. Any other date might cause my instant demise. So the answer is my wife's anniversary. Its not really mine, no one ever bought me a steak dinner on that day.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
June 6 was the day I swore in as an Ensign, USNR, 50 years ago, actually. Almost no high schoolers remember that, either.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As sad as it is to say, many of the younger generation doesn't even know about Desert Storm, Panama or Grenada.

Heck half of the young troops in my old unit had no idea. One E-1 replied that he knew because he saw it on the history channel.

As one of the members stated, school do not cover these famous dates/battles in history classes like they used.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm 34 and know all about it. I'm self taught though, not sure if they covered it in school, I can't remember.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post