SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife tells employer to pound sand!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife tells employer to pound sand! Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Years ago a Dr invested in building a Nursing Home. Nice guy, successful, with a waiting list for his over 120 rooms. Years later it was sold to a health care corporation and then started the slooooow decline. Last year it sold again to investors and they are now down to about 50% occupancy. The facility is in good shape but is under staffed and moral has plummeted.

They don't pay that well and turnover is a huge problem but my wife has over thirty years employed there... over 30 years of dedicated service, virtually perfect attendance. Hell, just two years ago they named one Hall/Wing, after her.

The new investors just announced they are contracting out some services/departments. The current employees will transfer to the new company... as NEW hires... as in zero seniority. She even lost her vacation time with none possible until after a year with the new company.

My wife came home from work Tuesday with the news... she told them to pound sand. Gave notice she was gone 3/1. She is 65 in March but would have stayed on had they done right by the old employees.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current employees will transfer to the new company... as NEW hires... as in zero seniority. She even lost her vacation time with none possible until after a year with the new company.

Good for her. This is bullcrap. There comes a point where you've put your time in, don't owe anything to anybody, and have the financial freedom to do what you want. It sounds like she's reached that point, and once you're there, the level of bullcrap you have to put up with from an employer is much lower than early in your career. Its better to get out now rather than spend your days pissed off about the injustices at work when you don't really have to. IMO she made a good move.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
The current employees will transfer to the new company... as NEW hires... as in zero seniority. She even lost her vacation time with none possible until after a year with the new company.

Good for her. This is bullcrap. There comes a point where you've put your time in, don't owe anything to anybody, and have the financial freedom to do what you want. It sounds like she's reached that point, and once you're there, the level of bullcrap you have to put up with from an employer is much lower than early in your career. Its better to get out now rather than spend your days pissed off about the injustices at work when you don't really have to. IMO she made a good move.

Amen

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
To your wife...

I know all to well what it's like to get up in the morning and LOATHE...absolutely LOATHE...going to your "job". May y'all enjoy her retirement!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My guess, they wanted people with seniority to quit.

Cost them less.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They did the same thing to my wife. They wanted her to quit. She had twenty five years with a local grocery chain and they wanted her gone so that they could hire someone else at a lesser pay rate. She was at the top of her bracket pay wise.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

She even lost her vacation time
Are you saying that she lost vacation time that she had accrued, and was not reimbursed for it?

I worked for a company that wanted me to relocate. I told them no, I was not going to uproot my family and move a thousand miles. I am here, I am willing to work, and I'm not moving.

They told me that they would take that as my resignation.

I replied that I was not resigning, they could fire me if they wanted to.

So they fired me. And they told me that I was forfeiting accrued vacation, that I had on the books.

I mentioned this to a lawyer. He promptly wrote them a letter. I never saw the letter, I do not know what he said in it, but the day after he wrote it and FAXed it to them, they dispatched a check, paying me in full for the vacation that I had on the books. FedEx overnight.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They are already short staffed and can't even find help that will show up to work. They are going to be in a world of hurt if vary many others quit. 60 or so helpless patients to care for and too few to do it! The state of Tennessee might have a problem with that.

60 empty beds times ~6k per month amounts to a big shortfall. I suggested to them a couple years ago...
1) Cut your prices, gradually, until you fill the dag-gum beds. Then perhaps you can afford the staff needed to do the job properly.
2) Use a temp service to fill the jobs. Kick to the curb the useless ones ASAP.
3) Hire and pay the good ones enough to keep them.

They have had to resort to taking short term Hospice patients, very high turn over and very inefficient compared to permanent/long term patients.

Wife was told today they would actually need to apply for their jobs... Roll Eyes New company HR coming to town Monday. I told her to consider just refusing to apply for the one more month she already told them she would stay anyway. BUT we will see, they may come around some if they lose enough of the current staff to get desperate. She doesn't have to work but likes something to do and enjoyed it in the past. We did use the company health insurance but will both be eligible for Medicare this springy April.

Ha! Maybe she should ask for severance pay...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this in an industry that is growing like crazy and is woefully understaffed , as it is.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Are you saying that she lost vacation time that she had accrued, and was not reimbursed for it?

I saw the writing on the wall a couple years ago and have been pushing her to use up most of her accrued time. She has.

The issue now is she will to start from scratch, like a new hire, to earn any vacation time going forward... She would get Zero vacation for the first year... Might be legal but it sure ain't the way to reward good help.

Pay scale hasn't even been mentioned but she does receive bonuses that bump her above the top pay scale for her position. Bulldog may be on to something.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
On a lighter note...

Yesterday she asked... Who would kill who first if we have to spend 24/7 together for the first time in 41 years of marriage? (I'm already retired)

I answered... Doesn't matter, problem solved either way! Big Grin

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Stealing/cheating employees out of their vacation is a time honored tradition. Its how less than honest managers earn their bonus. They basically have you by the short and curly.

I ran into that back in 1980. I asked for a raise and was turned down. I was working way too many hours for a meager salary ( for what I was doing). So I went looking and found a new job. Then I put in for my vacation, and was turned down. I never could figure out if I was that indispensable, how they could screw me over so pleasantly. Didn't matter, I gave notice that same day. Then they refused to pay me my vacation. So I did the American thing, I sued! Big Grin. All I had on my side was company policy of accruing vacation each payday. Years of accounting records.

I didn't mind paying the attorney 1/3 of my vacation to put on public record the way they treated people. Yeah, it was settled after the first conference. My attorney just pointed out how all the jurors were probably working people, ones who hated corporations cheating employees.

The reality is that you are allowed to quit. And any retaliation during the final time of employment doesn't do well by them. Yes, I had gotten to the point where I hated the upper management. Who had gotten there in the traditional way. Family connections.

Retirement is good. Enjoy yours. Laugh at them from time to time. Cheating employees seems to be another American tradition.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new investors just announced they are contracting out some services/departments. The current employees will transfer to the new company... as NEW hires... as in zero seniority. She even lost her vacation time with none possible until after a year with the new company.

Maybe she could be available as a contracted consultant. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im as conservative as anyone, probably more conservative than most. But the vindictive side of me might want to start talking about forming a union before I leave. Companies LOVE unions!

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather spent a lifetime with the USPS as a letter carrier. My Father spent a lifetime with Wisconsin Bell. I tried to spend a lifetime with a bank that became a different bank - that became a different bank - that become a different bank. I made it 25 years before they disposed of anyone making real money.

The days of spending a lifetime with an employer are gone. cparktd - she's lucky she is at a retirement age. My wife and I have been 24/7 for 5 years and love it.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The company I quit last March after 13 years has been pushing out all the tenured employees. Robbed me of about $4500 worth of sick time, made it harder and extended the amount of time you had to work to earn time off. Health insurance cost and deductibles so high that you were better off paying cash. Impossible goals. Now they’ve got 80% turnover rates some months and home office is pulling work from the site because they can’t handle it. Great plan! Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
loyalty if tough these days when no one is loyal back.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

loyalty if tough these days when no one is loyal back.
Agreed, but this is nothing new.

It has been going on for many, many, years.

That is why I went out on my own, as a contract worker, in the 1980s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I worked for a company that wanted me to relocate. I told them no, I was not going to uproot my family and move a thousand miles. I am here, I am willing to work, and I'm not moving.

They told me that they would take that as my resignation.

I replied that I was not resigning, they could fire me if they wanted to.

So they fired me. And they told me that I was forfeiting accrued vacation, that I had on the books.

I mentioned this to a lawyer. He promptly wrote them a letter. I never saw the letter, I do not know what he said in it, but the day after he wrote it and FAXed it to them, they dispatched a check, paying me in full for the vacation that I had on the books. FedEx overnight.

This is because vacation time is an accrued wage. You can't make earned vacation time disappear. You can change a policy on how it is accrued, but once earned, a company owes you any unused vacation/sick time. If his wife wasn't compensated for her unused time, it's straight up illegal.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:

This is because vacation time is an accrued wage. ....unused time, it's straight up illegal.

Better check your source on that last. It will vary based on state law.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post