SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Kuiu you mak me feel so fat!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kuiu you mak me feel so fat!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I love their gear but hate the "athletic cut sizing"
Base layers I am my normal size but any outler layer that I may want a layer underneath I have to go with XXL!!
Large Tall is my go to size for most regular layers and step to XL in outer layers as I need the length but not the width. But the other width does allow for some under layers.
Not with Kuiu their XL "athletic cut" allows for a single thin layer underneath but If I want a beefier layer underneath XXL it is.
My fall and spring jackets are fine in XL as a t-shirt underneath and I am plenty warm.
Step to winter I need one layer to be thicker than a t-shirt and then the XL is a no go.
Plus the "athletic fit" looks a bit silly to me for outer layers.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you don't like the cut, I get that.

But who cares what they call a given size?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
who cares what they call a given size?
Standardized sizing would save a lot of aggravation if you're buying stuff via mail order. Not that much of an issue if you're able to try it on in a store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Uh, sorry to hear. Frown

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If you don't like the cut, I get that.

But who cares what they call a given size?

What V Tail said.

You learn to order a size up but for companies like Kuiu who don't sell but online you're hot for triple shipping if you get the wrong size.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
The so called "athletic cut" seems to be getting very popular. A lot of high end stuff I have tried on lately was way too tight and had too short sleeve lengths. And I am 6/4 and weigh 235 so not all that fat.
Sitka
Arc'teryx
North Face
Under Armor

Even Cabelas stopped offering my size in most of their pants.
I guess I am no longer in their target demographic!
Often, if I see the terms slim fit or athletic fit, my wallet slams shut.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Most Americans don't realize it, but they're fatter than they think. We don't realize we are, because so is everybody else.

This really came home to me when I watched PBS's Frontier House back in 2002. (Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.) A family was worried dad was sick because he was getting so skinny. Turned out his physique was becoming normal for that time period. He was getting enough nutrition--he just wasn't storing fat like he was used to.

I'm 6'4" and I'm overweight at 195 lbs. I can feel it, and I can see it. Even with that: Most off-the-rack stuff is too big around for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Most Americans don't realize it, but they're fatter than they think. We don't realize we are, because so is everybody else.

This really came home to me when I watched PBS's Frontier House back in 2002. (Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.) A family was worried dad was sick because he was getting so skinny. Turned out his physique was becoming normal for that time period. He was getting enough nutrition--he just wasn't storing fat like he was used to.

I'm 6'4" and I'm overweight at 195 lbs. I can feel it, and I can see it. Even with that: Most off-the-rack stuff is too big around for me.

Looking at old family photos from the 20's -30's , all my family was slender. Of course the Depression was going on too. Mother, who is 93, says people are overweight today because food is available constantly. And not enough physical work.

My wardrobe doesn't include any of the items in the OP's list.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The so called "athletic cut" seems to be getting very popular. A lot of high end stuff I have tried on lately was way too tight and had too short sleeve lengths. And I am 6/4 and weigh 235 so not all that fat.
Sitka
Arc'teryx
North Face
Under Armor

Even Cabelas stopped offering my size in most of their pants.
I guess I am no longer in their target demographic!
Often, if I see the terms slim fit or athletic fit, my wallet slams shut.

The outerwear version of skinny jeans.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's actually disturbing. If you're 6'4" and 195 lbs and have any fat on you, you must have the muscle mass of an underfed toddler.

When I finally stabilized at my adult height, when I was 15 or so, I was 6' tall (almost exactly) and 160-some pounds, and looked, and was, skinny.

By my mid 20's I was 6' and 180-some pounds, and still looked (no body fat) skinny. The difference was I'd filled out a bit and put on a bit of muscle. But I've never worked out, or been especially muscular. I was just fairly physically active.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:

That's actually disturbing. If you're 6'4" and 195 lbs and have any fat on you, you must have the muscle mass of an underfed toddler.

Nope. I'm just not fat. Even at my worst, which is ±200 lbs., people think I'm skinny.

What I feel to be my "ideal" weight, which is really hard for me to maintain (lack of eating discipline, primarily), is ±185 lbs. I can hit that if I stick to my full workout schedule (HIIT cardio Monday and Friday, weight training Tuesday-Thursday) and I mind my diet. That weight will put me solidly in 34" waist jeans.

Even at ± 192 lbs., which is maintainable with moderate effort, my measured body fat percentage will be down around 15%. My BMI is usually slightly on the high side of "ideal."

I don't have a lot of muscle mass and never have. I have what's called an "ectomorph" body type. Long and lean. I had a 32" waist until about age 35.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their outlet store is about 35 miles from me. If you have a specific item you're trying to size, I might be able to go down and eyeball it.

Email is in my profile.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Their outlet store is about 35 miles from me. If you have a specific item you're trying to size, I might be able to go down and eyeball it.

Email is in my profile.

Much appreciated.
I have enough of their stuff now I have it figure out I do believe. The only rub for me is timing what I want when it is in the outlet section so I can actually afford it.

————————————————