SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The End of Daylight Wasting Time ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End of Daylight Wasting Time ? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
Heard that there is a motion to rid the country of this clock setting BS. Seems to be talk of this kind of thing twice a year. Guessing it made sense during a World War or Two, but just like the steam powered car, seems to serve a long lost purpose.

Are they trying to make it lighter with the kids at their morning bus stop? Idunno. For the record, I'd rather have a steam powered car than this (at least until I have to pay to get the boiler inspected Big Grin ).

Anywho. Don't forget to wiggle the big hand one lap around the clock face and consider changing the batteries in your smoke detector...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is it that time of year already? I really do wish that they would stop fucking with the clock. Just leave it alone. The sun is supposed to be at its highest when both of Mickey's hands point straight up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they trying to make it lighter with the kids at their morning bus stop?
This is a poor excuse for DST too since the advent of the modern helicopter parent. Parents darn near outnumber kids at the bus stop I drive past every week day morning. Those are just the kids that aren't chauffeured to and from school.

Far cry from my childhood of getting ushered out of the house, walking to the bus stop, and zero parents outdoors at the bus stop. If a parent was outdoors, somebody was in the process of getting spanked and the ones laughing were next.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I don't see what all of the bitching is about. It never bothered me to switch back and forth an hour. So what if you lose an hour of sleep on one day in the spring. It's on a Sunday. Nobody should be that regimented that they can't figure it out.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm that jerk who says we should set the clocks forward an hour and leave 'em.

I don't care if I'm going to work in the dark -- I need that hour of daylight after my shift!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm with vthoky. Light in the evening all year long.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
The point is, if we didn't do it anymore, would anybody even notice? I think not...

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
They say this every year. As soon as it happens, people forget that it’s a thing.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'm that jerk who says we should set the clocks forward an hour and leave 'em...

According to one of my girlfriend's Facebook "friends", parts of Europe (maybe the entire EU?) are going to stay on Summer Time once they make the switch this year.

It's a good move, in my opinion. I could make use of that evening light all year around more than I could in the morning.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heard that there is a motion to rid the country of this clock setting BS.

There's one twice every year. Roll Eyes Personally, I wish they'd pick one damned time and stick with it. I could live with either.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Hour

Back

Get it?!?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Hour

Back

Get it?!?

Why?

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'm with vthoky. Light in the evening all year long.

I’m with you guys. I like getting to work in the dark. I have an office job and if the sun beats me to work, I feel like I’ve wasted time. It’s after I’m done at the office for the day that I need to get stuff done outside.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Why?

NSFW

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEjPvptN1k

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Are they trying to make it lighter with the kids at their morning bus stop?
This is a poor excuse for DST too since the advent of the modern helicopter parent. Parents darn near outnumber kids at the bus stop I drive past every week day morning. Those are just the kids that aren't chauffeured to and from school.

Far cry from my childhood of getting ushered out of the house, walking to the bus stop, and zero parents outdoors at the bus stop. If a parent was outdoors, somebody was in the process of getting spanked and the ones laughing were next.

Just yesterday I witnessed a gaggle of kids climbing onto a school bus to be bussed eight or ten blocks to school. It would take these kids maybe 15 minutes to walk to school, but no...they ride a bus. Roll Eyes

In my day, you were booted out of the house, with your brown bag lunch made by mom, and you walked or rode your bike to school. Rain or shine, light or dark, cold or warm. No buses. Buses were reserved for those kids who lived miles out of town, and even then a lot of them rode their bikes to school.

And we wonder why these younger generations are so soft.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
I don't see what all of the bitching is about. It never bothered me to switch back and forth an hour. So what if you lose an hour of sleep on one day in the spring. It's on a Sunday. Nobody should be that regimented that they can't figure it out.

I am in AZ, we do not do DST, in the summer when it is 2000 degrees out we want the sun to go away. For the most part this works well except when you do business with every other state in the country and no one seems to know we don't switch so there are a lot of missed calls and screwed yo meeting times.

The other fun DST adventure here is Navajo reservation. Because it spans two states they do recognize DST so if you happen to be in that area of the summer you need to be aware, oh wait some of the "tourist areas" don't recognize it so you have to know if you are in one of those spots or not...Sounds simple enough until you are in the middle of the res with a 35 person film crew and have a hard 4am call time but no-one is 100% certain if that is really 4am or not.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
bus stop one house next to mine at stop sign.
Parents bring and pickup kids.
One is only 400 feet away and twice a damn day she sits on the edge of street and folks have to drive around the fool.These are middle school kids.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Leave the clocks alone.

If you want to go to work in the dark, get up an hour earlier.

If you want an "extra" hour of sunlight at the end of the day, get up an hour earlier.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Such a measure has tried to go through in NM multiple times. It has always failed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of moving it an hour, move it half an hour (30 minutes) and leave it that way all year around.

Posts: 25 | Location: Glenolden, Pa. | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post