SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The End of Daylight Wasting Time ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The End of Daylight Wasting Time ? Login/Join 
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:
I'm for Daily Savings Time.

Each day at 4pm, the clocks move forward an hour and everyone gets to go home early. Then at 4am, the clocks move back an hour and everyone gets an additional hour of sleep.

That would really suck if you worked midnights.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Every year it's the same thing. I have to keep saying:

"It's Daylight SAVING Time!!"

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How about the recorded messages that you get when you call a business that's not open?

"Our normal business hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time."

Whoever records the message does not know the difference between Eastern Standard Time (EST) and Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

I used the "Eastern" time zone for my example, but the same is true for Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones.

I do not recall ever hearing a message that announces <time_zone> Daylight Time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
The other fun DST adventure here is Navajo reservation. Because it spans two states they do recognize DST so if you happen to be in that area of the summer you need to be aware, oh wait some of the "tourist areas" don't recognize it so you have to know if you are in one of those spots or not...Sounds simple enough until you are in the middle of the res with a 35 person film crew and have a hard 4am call time but no-one is 100% certain if that is really 4am or not.

I did not know that.
Of course that's probably due to me not giving a damn about any indian reservation.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks like Trump is ok with it.

I would LOVE for this to get legs and actually happen this year. I do have one question though.

How do I get paid for that hour the US gov't is permanently taking away from me? I was born in October so I am owed for this one hour being stolen away from my life. Is there a Board of Hour Repatriation and Compensation being formed?

I'm not saying I would have worked that hour. I'm not even saying I deserve that hour. I'm just saying I want to be paid for it.

Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'm that jerk who says we should set the clocks forward an hour and leave 'em.

I don't care if I'm going to work in the dark -- I need that hour of daylight after my shift!

Yep, I'm in that camp too.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
The other fun DST adventure here is Navajo reservation. Because it spans two states they do recognize DST so if you happen to be in that area of the summer you need to be aware, oh wait some of the "tourist areas" don't recognize it so you have to know if you are in one of those spots or not...Sounds simple enough until you are in the middle of the res with a 35 person film crew and have a hard 4am call time but no-one is 100% certain if that is really 4am or not.

I did not know that.
Of course that's probably due to me not giving a damn about any indian reservation.

Here's another rub. Because the National Park Service for Glen Canyon Rec Area (Lake Powell) is located in Page, AZ, the whole lake operates on AZ time. The part of the lake (most of it) up in Utah operates an hour behind the rest of the state in which the lake resides. Let's say you're there the week after labor day, and you want to get an early run up to Rainbow Bridge and need to top off your fuel at Dangling Rope Marina. You show up at 9am when they *should* be open, just to find out that you have to wait until 10. Damn. It can leave you sitting around waiting an hour if you don't remember the time difference, pretty much busting up the plan to get up there early.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The only clock that matters these days around here is my cats appetite, and that alarm goes off without a hitch and on-time Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

I did not know that.

Ever been? Wink

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post