SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Emotional Support Animals
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emotional Support Animals Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
OK, this bullshit has gotten seriously out of control. Got nipped tonight at work by a patient's emotional support animal. No not a service animal, they're well behaved. We're talking the 4 legged equivalent of Linus's blanket.

I'm sorry, but if you're so emotionally insecure that you can't leave the house without a little 5lb. wire hair covered rat, then maybe you shouldn't be leaving the house. For what is really just a nip, I had to spend 1-1/2 hours filling our paperwork, leaving my partner alone in a section delaying care for others all because of the selfishness of someone who wants to take their dog everywhere.

I'm feeling traumatized, maybe even diagnosable as PTSD. I think I need to start taking my Akita to work for my emotional support and protection from the emotionally supporting animals of others.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My view is that if you are so unstable that you are unable to leave your home without having your pet with you, then you need to be institutionalized.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people bringing their dogs and cats into grocery stores, hospitals, hardware stores, restaurants, etc....

Leave your damned animals at home!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can't agree more.

This is no knock on a legitimate, trained service dog. A friend's autistic son has a genuine service dog, and it helps the child a lot. But that is an actual, trained service dog, not just a living security blanket.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Home Depot. What the fuck is it with people bringing their dogs into Home Depot all the time?

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

That's a killer. Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Home Depot. What the fuck is it with people bringing their dogs into Home Depot all the time?

If you look real hard you will actually find a small No Pets decal or this sign somewhere on the front entrance glass.

The managers are too chicken shit to enforce it - afraid they will get a complaint.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

If you look real hard you will actually find a small No Pets decal on the door somewhere.

The managers are too chicken shit to enforce it - afraid they will get a complaint.

Home Depots in my area allow dogs.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Home Depots in my area allow dogs.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but I bet the sign is there.

Like I said, the managers are . . . .

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cat supports me emotionally. but she does not cruise well.
So my emotional support stays home.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I cracked up when I heard this last night.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

If you look real hard you will actually find a small No Pets decal on the door somewhere.

Home Depots in my area allow dogs.

Our local HD doesn’t have that sign I checked.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My cat supports me emotionally. but she does not cruise well.
So my emotional support stays home.
Roll Eyes

Well...you just need to get yourself an orca then...problem solved Wink Big Grin...

Or a turkey...if the keeping them wet all the time poses a problem...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My view is that if you are so unstable that you are unable to leave your home without having your pet with you, then you need to be institutionalized.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people bringing their dogs and cats into grocery stores, hospitals, hardware stores, restaurants, etc....

Leave your damned animals at home!

Absolutely! Real, trained service animals are a completely different thing. But needing an "Emotional Support" animal is like needing to be allowed to suck your thumb in public........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Coming through the Denver Airport I saw a woman's emotional support angora rat/dog take an emotional support gronk on the carpet in the Terminal. It was so special.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am guilty of taking one of the dogs I rescued into Home Depot/Lowes. She was horribly abused and left in the shelter to die and I have worked on socializing her and getting her to trust people again. That said, I only do this if I go early AM when store is not crowded and keep her on a really short leash. I also do no pretend she is a service dog and have never passed her off as such.

If I understand correctly one can obtain a fake service dog cert for about $100 which included a phone evaluation by a fake shrink. My stepson has a next door neighbor who brags that he did this to avoid having to pay a pet deposit at apt building

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I am guilty of taking one of the dogs I rescued into Home Depot/Lowes. She was horribly abused and left in the shelter to die and I have worked on socializing her and getting her to trust people again. That said, I only do this if I go early AM when store is not crowded and keep her on a really short leash. I also do no pretend she is a service dog and have never passed her off as such.

Points to you for Honesty! That being said it's my opinion that you and your animal would be far better off going to a Park or maybe PetSmart where people are willing to socialize your animal and where they are set up for cleanups. I like seeing Pets at PetSmart or while walking in a park but I go to Home Depot to buy things not interact with animals. I think you will find more positive interactions for your pet at places where people WANT to see them.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to convince my wife to let me take my 140lb Kangal to Wall mart, I really need emotional support when I shop there.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I can't agree more.

This is no knock on a legitimate, trained service dog. A friend's autistic son has a genuine service dog, and it helps the child a lot. But that is an actual, trained service dog, not just a living security blanket.

Agree totally. We have a couple of regular patients with trained service dogs and they are remarkable animals. I'm always amazed at some of the uses that service dogs have. The latest was an Aussie Shepherd that would alert his owner about blood sugar levels. How the dog can sense that I have no idea.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post