SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Girl Scouts cookie markup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl Scouts cookie markup Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My hit last week was 4 bucks. Delivered to my door. And then I saw the same crew at the Yooper grocery store and the price was 5 bucks.
Must be an extra charge for the ambiance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
They have the option of just giving them money w/o receiving cookies and I went that route. I'm eating healthy and no way I could have $20 worth of thin mints in the house.

Giving them $20 to go away is money well spent. For example, last Christmas they did a Girl Scout candy drive, I spent over $30, and the darn things lasted 4 days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
From the meme thread:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy from any little kid that knocks on my door selling anything if it's for a cause. All of them. That's the way the Girl Scout org raises money, and it's voluntary to buy cookies or not. Nobody is forcing anyone. I do it cause it's the right thing I feel. Then I haul them into work and share so I don't plump up too much.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My 9 yr old Granddaughter came home from her brainwashing sales hype meeting super excited... she was convinced she was going to win an iPad or some such prize for most sold. Yea, only would have required 2000 boxes sold IIRC. Roll Eyes Disgraceful the pressure applied.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
Try Aldi's version. Pretty close.

I can’t tell the difference!

Other than that they’re 98 cents for a box.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
My 9 yr old Granddaughter came home from her brainwashing sales hype meeting super excited... she was convinced she was going to win an iPad or some such prize for most sold. Yea, only would have required 2000 boxes sold IIRC. Roll Eyes Disgraceful the pressure applied.

I met a kid who did just that. Got every prize, did the trips, the meets with various VIPs. Multiple years. She was certainly driven. All door-to-door, too. Been awhile, probably approaching college age soon, if not already. I bet she does well.

I can’t speak for anywhere else. Price altering around here is actively discouraged. Six bucks for the toffee and s’mores, four bucks anything else.

Troop margin is around 16% or so (it’s late, don’t have the numbers handy, but that’s close). So, on a $4 box, that’s about 60 to 64 cents. The rest of it goes back to council, who pays off the cookies, takes a cut for council operations and gives some to service units.

Door to door is not actively encouraged around here, I suspect too much fear of the boogeyman. Nevertheless, a well positioned booth can do well. Our troop is much older (mostly early high school), so the instruction is much more on store interaction and retail processes both as seller and consumer. Why a store display works the way it does, etc. At least the ones I’ve assisted with, anyway.

I buy my Do-si-dos by the case.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Yup. I told all my kids that we don't have the time or inclination to peddle a bunch of stuff like that. I'll gladly donate to organizations they want to be a part of, but I'm not gonna spend every waking moment selling cookies or popcorn or whatever they are trying to sell.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s $5/box by me. From three different sources.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I tried both the Keebler version Samoa’s and the Thin Mints. We both thought they were just as good at half the price. My wife was impressed. Now I guess we’ll have to try the Aldi cookies

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
You can get close with Keebler or WalMart store brand on Tagalongs or Samoas.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in california , a long time ago ,

parents would bring the order list to work and try to shame other employee's in too purchasing them .

no child was involved .

thats when I quit buying them . screw that shit.

oh , I will still donate, but that cookie business is for the birds.

Just sell'em at Costco , 6 boxes at a time and triple your sales, quit bothering people

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I learned today that both the GSUSA and WAGGGS have ties to Planned Parenthood.

No more cookies for me.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
FWIW, I learned today that both the GSUSA and WAGGGS have ties to Planned Parenthood.

No more cookies for me.

What?!! Do you have a link? If true, they will get no more support from me. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

No more cookies for me.

What?!! Do you have a link? If true, they will get no more support from me. Mad

Jim

Just a few. There are many others.

http://www.100questionsfortheg...s.org/100/wagggs.cfm

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/cw/post.php?id=621

https://www.lifenews.com/2013/...-planned-parenthood/

The former GSUSA CEO Kathy Cloninger said, “We partner with many organizations. We have relationships with our church communities, with YWCAs, and with Planned Parenthood organizations across the country, to bring information-based sex education programs to girls.”

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, I knew that they supported LGBT issues but didn't know of their affiliation with Planned Parenthood. Like you, no more money from me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
No GS cookies for me for a very long time now.

As other’s have noted, parent’s hawking them at work aren’t “teaching” the scouts anything and I refused to be held hostage to “I’ll Support your kid’s fundraiser if you support my kid’s fundraiser” mentality of some coworkers.

Prices continue to rise while boxes contain fewer cookies with lower quality.

I’ll just mention in passing the exploitation of the children by the cookie company who is in it as a business for profits and get’s the Lion’s share of the funds.

When I get the craving, I’ll buy Keebler’s “Coconut Dreams” on sale for $2.00 - $2.49 or so and get fresher cookies with more in the package for less than half the cost of the GS version.

While I have no problem supporting charities there are plenty of them whose politics and ideals are more aligned with my own. Given the fact that I am limited in how much I can donate to “good causes” I will continue to choose those with whom I agree idealogically.

Scouting today is not what it used to be. GS slipped down the slope sooner than BS, but BS have fallen as well. It is a shame, but changing sign of our times I guess as interest in the outside world and nature seems to be well on it’s way to oblivion as technology marches on.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I don't mind supporting the GS, but their cookies absolutely suck and I haven't bought any in well over 15 years. So if I happen to be attacked at the grocery store door, I don't mind tossing a Lincoln into their jar and just go on my way.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I don't buy girl scout cookies because I don't eat cookies but I wouldn't complain about their modest mark up. The shit you buy at Wal mart and the local grocery store are marked up to maintain a 40% average margin.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post